Gaming news sites

Steamz and moar.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Gaming news sites

Postby Raid » Tue May 30, 2017 2:07 pm

I've used Eurogamer as my go-to gaming news site for a few years. Today they've started preventing you from reading their articles without disabling your ad-blocker. Not only do they have screen-spanning wraparound ads (with video), but they also use those god awful (and occasionally offensive) Revcontent things. I don't go to Eurogamer to find out about foot fungus cures or the shocking IQs of the Trump family. So I'm deleting my bookmark and need somewhere else. Any recommendations?

DjchunKfunK

Re: Gaming news sites

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Polygon and Kotaku are decent, VG247 isn't bad. I understand that ads can be really annoying and some sites are worse than others, like the Independent who put them in the middle of articles, but in the end how else are these sites supposed to get their revenue?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue May 30, 2017 3:57 pm

All the classics from the old days, like GameSpot and IGN, have since turned into multimedia sites. "You'll never believe this Game of Thrones Spoiler!"

What I do is go to sites like Giant Bomb, Rock Paper Shotgun and Waypoint for the content, OpenCritic for reviews and then just hover about NeoGaf for news. Anything worthwhile that happens in gaming surfaces there. Plus you get some amusing hot takes and it's it's always fun to see what topics they get to talking about.

As for ad blocking, I've no problem if the what they're selling is relevant. If they had ads for games, or gaming related services, sure, I don't mind turning off the blocker. Only started using it once Eurogamer put those gross adverts at the bottom of articles. If the choice is between not reading the site or having to put up with that crap, I'll just go elsewhere.
End of an Era

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue May 30, 2017 4:11 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:but in the end how else are these sites supposed to get their revenue?

They could use ads that were less awful.

I have no issue with websites having adverts on them, but look at this shit:
I appreciate I have a 21:9 monitor, so the problem is exaggerated a little, but the content of the article gets maybe 10% of the screen space.

Look at the bottom of the article:
The same targeted ad as above, alongside the Revcontent shite. Someone applying anti-fungal treatment to their toenails, an advert for a Viking game that steals an X-Men cosplayer's photo, and an ad for a diet that is clearly absolute lies.

If you use these styles of adverts (and prevent me from blocking them), I'm not going to use your site. Simple as that.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue May 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Eurogamer has always had that problem, they've said a few times that they're planning on fixing the awful spam ads that appear at the bottom of every article but no such luck yet.

Some sites have such badly placed ads that it makes a living hell trying to even view the content on a mobile. There needs to be a balance between ads and content or else I simply stop using the site, especially with those ones that follow you as you scroll down the screen, blocking half the article and being almost impossible to click the cross on without accidentally opening a link to whatever god awful thing it's shilling.

Likewise will be deleting Eurogamer off my browser bookmarks bar now.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Tue May 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Mantis wrote:Eurogamer has always had that problem, they've said a few times that they're planning on fixing the awful spam ads that appear at the bottom of every article but no such luck yet.

Some sites have such badly placed ads that it makes a living hell trying to even view the content on a mobile. There needs to be a balance between ads and content or else I simply stop using the site, especially with those ones that follow you as you scroll down the screen, blocking half the article and being almost impossible to click the cross on without accidentally opening a link to whatever god awful thing it's shilling.

Likewise will be deleting Eurogamer off my browser bookmarks bar now.

Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue May 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Mantis wrote:they've said a few times that they're planning on fixing the awful spam ads that appear at the bottom of every article but no such luck yet.

Wha? Do they not control their own website?

There's a reason I've used Eurogamer for so long, and that's because they're generally quite entertaining and, well, not American. They seemed to carry on the old PC Gamer style (indeed I think they frequently used articles from names I recognise from the magazine when I read back in the late nineties), which matched my sense of humour. I've had a look at some of the sites mentioned here, but none of them are really grabbing me.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue May 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Same reasons as me Raid. I use VG247 quite a bit also though.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue May 30, 2017 5:19 pm

VG247 is exactly the same as Eurogamer if you disable adblock, maybe even worse because the Revcontent block is larger. Granted, you can still use Adblockers, but it's always possible they'll add a demand for you to whitelist them just as EG have.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue May 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Might have to try VG247 out, don't think I've ever visited it before.

I really don't rate Polygon or Kotaku either. Polygon in particular seems to often have long winded preachy editorials that have some self righteous point about them but are generally a total waste of time.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue May 30, 2017 6:10 pm

The Advert stuff doesn't particularly annoy me on gaming sites I've kinda gotten used to it and accept it's a way for them to generate revenue etc. I like the presentation style and articles on VG247 in general.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 pm

I mind the banner ads as it doesn't distract me from the article. The clickbait at the end of articles is stupid, but again it doesn't distract me from reading the story and I only see it at the end so I can ignore it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group