E3 2017 - June 13th to June 15th

Steamz and moar.
Mantis
Admin

Re: E3 2017 - June 13th to June 15th

Postby Mantis » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Don't worry, the new one seemingly has nothing in common with the original, being a prequel with a heavy focus on multiplayer it seems.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:57 am

Sony

B

Half CGI trailer and half gameplay. Similar to Bethesda, game trailers with no introductions but at least the stage had some amazing pyrotechnics and some excellent set designs

Games that stood out - Days Gone, Unchartered, Detroit Becomes Human, COD and God Of War

The Spiderman gamed started well than it ended with QTE and lost the crowd.

Going into E3 we all thought Sony would announce a price cut to the PS4 but after the price shock and shambles Xbox made of the X, no price cut was needed. It was all SW with at least 4 Sony AAA exclusives.

That was my fourth press conference and I am seriously poopoed and the fucking event has not even started. Holy shit I am going to be bollocked by Friday.

So....here we go.....

Got VIP tickets to Sony event as part of the media entourage - the pre -show venue was great. Food and games. Bumped into Chislak (?) from BBC Click. We had a nice chat. He lost weight.

Image20170612_181056 by Sam Naji, on Flickr

Image20170612_182013 by Sam Naji, on Flickr
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:43 am

Reading through the announcements, seems a little disappointing this year. Perhaps it's because they've had such strong shows over the last couple of years and are so far ahead of Microsoft now that they don't need to pull out all the stops. But although this was a fairly solid lineup it still lacked anything really exciting.

Glad I didn't watch any of the conference's. Seems like a real gap stop year in many ways.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:01 am

Mantis wrote:Don't worry, the new one seemingly has nothing in common with the original, being a prequel with a heavy focus on multiplayer it seems.

No Jade no sale, tbh.
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:21 am

Mantis wrote:Don't worry, the new one seemingly has nothing in common with the original, being a prequel with a heavy focus on multiplayer it seems.
Where did you get that info?
Also, the CGI trailer looks like The Fifth Element with animal people and lots of swears. Which means I'm on board either way.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:23 am

They described it as a seamless online world didn't they? That's what I picked up from reading comments after the fact.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:26 am

Sony had a really bad start. Uncharted looks like more Uncharted which I realised whilst watching I don't want, Days Gone looks derivative as anything, it even has detective vision. These coupled with Horizons DLC made the start very much feel like Sony were just giving us more of the same without anything really new. It got better and I'd play the Shadow of Colossus remake and probably Monster Hunter Worlds. Detroit looked interesting, but as it is a Quantic game the quality could be very hit and miss. God of War looked like God of War, for better or worse, but it did look pretty.

Seeing Skyrim VR was rather funny. It seems like someone at Bethesda is making it their mission to sell the same game to people in as many different forms as possible.

All in all it was a solid offering, but very much like last year I came away feeling like we are just getting more of the same.

So far Ubisoft has easily been the standout with a number of games I am looking forward to playing.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:28 am

BGE2 sounds like it will be a much different game to the original, but then can you really make a Zelda-like today and yeah they did talk about multiplayer, it is Ubisoft after all. Apparently there will be gameplay on show behind closed doors.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:30 am

It's very sweary and all. Not really necessary. Seems to have gone a long way from the original game.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:05 am

Just watched the BGE2 trailer, and some thoughts:

- Why are they numbering it as you would a sequel (ie "2"), when it's a prequel? Seems needlessly confusing.
- The first game ended on a cliffhanger, seems like a bit of a slap in the face to the fans who've already waited 15 years for resolution.
- Is this dialogue written by a 12-year-old? What's with all the potty mouth?
- WTF is this shit?

It's impossible to comment on its quality seeing as there was no gameplay shown, but from the cinematics I'm not at all encouraged by the direction they've taken this in.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:58 am

So I get the impression Sony/Insomniac are maybe trying to do for Spiderman what the Arkham series did for Batman. That looked like it could be excellent, though they're going to have to show off more than what could just be elaborate QTE gameplay.

Other than that, the Sony conference was a massive 'meh' for me. I've never managed to get into the Uncharted series, and Days Gone looked like the same game style but with zombies. God of War III (the remake) was the most offensively bad game I've tried this year, so I've no interest in the new one. I've yet to find a reason to care about Destiny and Call of Duty would need to do something more interesting than rehashing the same, tired set-piece gameplay to regain my attention. I'm not even sure what genre Detroit: Become Human was and I don't want to buy a PSVR.

And was it just me, or did the Sony show focus almost entirely on stuff that's coming next year?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:19 am

Sup.

After managing to catch up on most of the games I've had my eye for a long time plus the surprises we've had here's a few thoughts...

Beyond Good & Evil 2

Nobody can truly say that the fact the games sequel is now finally coming out can be anything but a good thing, er right? Now that's out of the way all I can say about what we were shown is simply this...what? Are you fucking kidding me Ubisoft? The worst crime however was that there's now just mass confusion among fans as to just what kind of game this so called sequel/prequel/IDN game really is and Ubisoft are doing little to clear any of that up at this point in time. It was such a conflicting reveal all in all as I heard Peyj's name mentioned and proceeded to lose my shit then I heard cursing and something I no longer recognised I had no idea what to feel or think about any of it other than is this even remotely like what I wanted? Hell no it isn't. Should I simply be happy it's being released? Hell no I shouldn't. I then spent a good 20 minutes rewatching gameplay from the original to remind myself why I love it so. Beyond Good & Evil 2 coloured me ever so blue.

Assassins Creed: Origins

If there is one game I was looking forward to this was it by a long shot. All the talk of them reinvigorating the series with a bigger team bigger budget and more time spent on development than any other AC game to date had me salivating. Then I watched IGN playing the game for 30 minutes and my heart fucking sank like a stone. Glitchy animations. Horrible looking 'reworked' combat. Dated graphics. Terrible controls ie your character still climbing sections you didn't intend him to climb. Typical walk on the spot into plant pots dumb ass AI. Map design that proves even further that Ubisoft are now literally just cookie cutting scenery and slapping it into every new game they make. While there is a much more Witcher 3 feel to the game in small doses it's very much business as usual with everything else. Yeah I like the scouting bird but the fact it can just hang in there air indefinitely like a fucking powered drone while you casually tag enemies and such was very immersion breaking for me. At least in Far Cry Primal you were purposely time limited which made much more sense.

After all the hype surrounding how Ubisoft had finally understood where they had been going wrong it just failed to appear in true form up there on there screen. Sure it looks every bit like a game I will STILL enjoy playing but the fact it's not been pushed beyond that is significantly disappointing none the less.

The video in question...how to showcase your game badly...

The worst aspect by far though is that they ripped out the fucking naval combat I love so much and not only discarded it from the game completely but they MADE AN ENTIRELY OTHER FUCKING GAME OUT OF IT!!! That was not what I was hoping for at all. Engaging enemy ships online with maybe P2P connections that will no doubt always outclass you because gamers just doesn't sound all that fun to me. Ubisoft have clearly learned nothing from the fail that was For Honour.

Anthem

If ever there was a case for gamers getting excited over graphics before gameplay this had to be it. If anything it made me feel vastly upset for anyone who bought into Mass Effect Andromeda because you could tell that Bioware's budget had clearly swung one way and not the other between the two games almost as if to sneer at you this is what you hoped Andromeda would be like, didn't you. Take away all the fancy lighting, and suits, and bells and whistles and the actual gameplay was about as uninspired as could be. Literally not a single thing stood out aside from it looking very pretty. Oh and then there was the usual bullshot commentary that they always seem intent on adding to make the game feel more 'alive' while people play together. Urgh.

The Crew 2, hmm ok. Some nice additions. FarCry 5. Sorry but I thought it looked bloody terrible. No doubt it will look much better come release but that slow ass typical do it all real real slow E3 showcase didn't sell it for me one bit. The fact they chose to target a water tower thus referencing the one thing most people fucking detested about the previous games during said demonstration was a complete fail. CoD: WWII. Looked superb I must admit. Somehow it even looked like the older games which I didn't much expect. Destiny 2 exclusive PS4 content. YEAH LIKE WE NEVER SAW THAT ONE COMING. Code Vein looks superb. As did Monster Hunter. Need for Speed Payback. I've already played NFS The Run thanks EA. Was I the only person hugely disappointed by Wolfenstein 2? Not a single thing showed any form of improvement or additional creativeness over the original TNO or TOB. This made me very sad.

My current closing thoughts on this years E3 thus far...

If I hear the term 'in 4K' mentioned one more bastard time whether it be gaming related or Youtube related I think I'll actually quit the internet for good. I give not a fuck about it, it means nothing to me. 1080p gaming still serves me very well. What happened to just celebrating the games man?

Oh and the Xbox X is going to bottleneck like fuck thanks to those Jaguar based CPU's. Not the best choice by far. Aside from that the price point was spot on I feel and it's kinda tiny with it. At least we can call it XboX. Oh and major pissed that the new Insomniac Spider-Man game is PS4 only. Possibly my game of the show right there so far. Arkham Spider-Man.

edit: Raid beat me to it as I was typing. Dammit. :lol:
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 am

I live to mildly irritate.

You weren't kidding about the Assassin's Creed gameplay. If you're going to allow your character to parkour his way around vaguely realistic looking mountainsides, you could at least try to make sure the geometry matches what's visible. When on top of the hill before making his way to the watchtower, his feet are about six inches above the ground, and he was constantly hitting invisible barriers while climbing up there.

There must have been a bug with the sound too, unless they intend to make By'eck make less noise descending a dusty hillside than my tiny cat does descending a carpeted staircase.

And the hawk; I've not played much of this series, but are the Assassins actually sorcerers? If not, then the hawk is just a lazy adaptation of the UAV mechanic from Wildlands.

And hippos don't just swim around in deep rivers ffs.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 am

Ancel has called BG&E 2 like GTA, but in space so make of that what you will. More info here.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 am

To say they had so much time to prep the new AC game it really doesn't look that interesting does it. Same old formula but with an added RPG style inventory system? No thanks.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group