E3 2017 - June 13th to June 15th

Steamz and moar.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: E3 2017 - June 13th to June 15th

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:12 pm

I actually missed the Mario Odyssey date; October 27th is slightly earlier than I expected. I'm still not convinced I actually like the look of it though; I don't like the jarring art differences between Mario and the New Donk City parts. Why they couldn't have just stuck it in a Mushroom Kingdom-styled city I don't know.

And DJ was right about the Treehouse revealing things; they're currently showing off what looks like a brand new 2D Metroid game for 3DS at the moment.

Edit: Oh, it's a remake of Metroid 2: Return of Samus (although it certainly doesn't look like it's a straight remake).

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:09 pm

Well alright that at least looks much better than what we saw earlier. Combat has a good sense of speed, precision and additional weight to it. Dodge and countering is vital. The loot on show stands out especially with rarity, stats and attributes combined. The better the weaponry the better the combat mechanic becomes which may just be why it looks so much better in this video over the last I posted. There's an adrenaline mode shown in the later half which builds up and can be used to unleash some form of fury mode. Weapons do not degrade over time either.

Ok so I am still somewhat grated by the bird hanging in the air but only due to the large amount of hours I've spent looking down upon enemies via a drone in GRWL. They also mention there's two types of ship in the game larger merchant ships and smaller ferry types simply made for crossing. If your boat gets sunk by say a large hippo it can physically drag you down with it if you're not careful. There's also mention of secret Tombs hidden deep deep underwater. You will also notice that there's NO MINI MAP AT ALL. Fine by me as I tend to play GRWL without it enabled and as little hud as possible so I can fully take in what I'm doing while using landmarks on the main map to find my way.

The main thing that hit home watching this however was just how much Bayek reminds me of my time spent playing as Adéwalé whom I actually loved playing as in the Black Flag DLC. Someone tell Geoff to actually look at the screen and stay off his phone. :lol:

I think I may just be falling for its charms now. Excitement...building.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:02 am

Lots of mentions of GRWL there Dave, be nice to see you back online one evening soon :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:11 am

:lol: :lol:

Oh they are daft. God help the grandparents attempting to buy 'the new Xbox' for Billy come Christmas. I still personally think MS had the best show of E3 this year and I also hope Ubisoft have learned a valuable lesson that usual host Aisha Tyler actually really did make their show what it was and it was all the more worse off without her this year. Starting off with fucking Raving Rabbids didn't help matters much. She injected something that I actually always looked forward to even if she could be a bit divisive among some.

Did anyone happen to catch the E3 Colliseum Show 'Building Worlds' which showcased Guardians Director James Gunn and Neil deGrasse Tyson? I genuinely think that was one of the best things I've seen at E3 ever.

BTW if any of you are still reeling that so many new games are officially headed to the PC wait until you see the list PC GAMER have put together. Your bank balance will literally sag under the weight...

E3 2017 has also been good for PC games across the show. From EA to Microsoft to Ubisoft, a whole lot of the games on display are coming to PC right alongside consoles. Here's our list of every game shown at E3, including what we know about its release date and PC outlook.

http://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-at-e3 ... c-outlook/

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:40 am

How can Sonys show be so shit and then they sneak things like this out after it?

That looks amazing! Sony just seem to hate Supermassive.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:03 am

Why is the homicide detective wearing a beat cop uniform?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Prey wrote:http://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-at-e3-2017-and-its-pc-outlook/

Not too much on there to get me excited.

This looks absolutely fantastic though.

The retro look, the dirty synths, the lighting and shading. Just wow.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Yeah, that's one of the most striking looking games I've seen in a while. The E3 videos didn't give much away, but the Steam description is thus:

The soul of a cinematic platformer with the heart of a sci-fi thriller, The Last Night is set in a post-cyberpunk world with a deep, vibrant vision of the future.

Definitely one to watch I think.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:57 pm

That's the one that has some..... seedy stuff to it. It looks amazing but it sounds like they've ruined it with their politics.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:27 pm

I don't really see the controversy. People just jumped on him because certain more social identity minded members of the internet are incredibly sensitive to any form of opposition. Gamergate started out as exactly what he claims in that Tweet, it was only afterward that it took on a life of its own and was hijacked by alt-right trolls.

“The Gamergate people are for journalistc integrity, honest debate, transparency, inclusiveness, & egalitarianism [sic],” Soret wrote in September 2014, in one of the tweets that prompted the most discussion.

“I’m against feminism, because it’s getting more and more skewed,” he tweeted just before that, in July 2014. “I am for egalitariasm [sic]. I don’t care, boy, girl, alien.”

I dislike the tag 'SJW', but there is definitely a militant aspect of the whole thing that simply cannot accept criticism, or even accepts a dialogue.

Total none issue. He also apologised for the Tweets during the conference and the company released a statement about it too.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:18 am

For those who may have missed it...

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:37 am

Mantis wrote:I don't really see the controversy. People just jumped on him because certain more social identity minded members of the internet are incredibly sensitive to any form of opposition. Gamergate started out as exactly what he claims in that Tweet, it was only afterward that it took on a life of its own and was hijacked by alt-right trolls.

“The Gamergate people are for journalistc integrity, honest debate, transparency, inclusiveness, & egalitarianism [sic],” Soret wrote in September 2014, in one of the tweets that prompted the most discussion.

“I’m against feminism, because it’s getting more and more skewed,” he tweeted just before that, in July 2014. “I am for egalitariasm [sic]. I don’t care, boy, girl, alien.”

I dislike the tag 'SJW', but there is definitely a militant aspect of the whole thing that simply cannot accept criticism, or even accepts a dialogue.

Total none issue. He also apologised for the Tweets during the conference and the company released a statement about it too.
Nope.

Gamergate started as no such thing. A mob spurred on by a guy to dig up dirt on his ex. All the excuse they needed to go off on a tear about how women are destroying everything.
And funny you talk about people being unable to take criticism. A lot of what fuelled GG was overly sensitive 4chan idiots upset that a woman dare offer the most gentle, surface level criticism of video games. It was the shitty gamer-eccentric genesis of the Alt right and did nothing, other than backfire on them as developers strove to be more inclusive as these idiots cried about "SJWs" taking over their games.

Not sure why you take them at face value. The whole movement is based on harassment, dog whistles and deflections. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or hopelessly naive. And if some dude is going to make a video game informed by those "politics", he can get stuffed for all I care.

Needless to say, I disagree. The game has a lot to prove if the guy is indeed sincere in his apology.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:22 pm

I don't really see how the game is in any way representing or linked with the politics he is allegedly associated with. It's a dystopian sci-fi adventure and the description in their release doesn't imply any sort of link at all.

Incidentally, Gamergate doesn't have a central movement or idea. It's just a hashtag, which is why there are people who don't see it as a predominantly hateful smear campaign.

Some Gamergate supporters contended that their actions are driven by concern for ethics in videogame journalism, arguing that the close relationships between journalists and developers provide evidence of an unethical conspiracy among reviewers to focus on progressive social issues,[3][9] leading to conflicts of interest.[116][117] As evidence of this, they pointed to what they considered as disproportionate praise that video game journalism gave games such as Depression Quest and Gone Home, which offered unconventional gameplay, and related stories with social implications, while they viewed traditional AAA titles as being downplayed.[118][115][119] Other commentators argued that Gamergate had the potential to raise significant issues in gaming journalism, but that the wave of misogynistic harassment and abuse associated with the hashtag had poisoned the well, making it impossible to separate honest criticism from sexist trolling.

It was a few years ago now and I don't really remember a great deal of detail. But it's clearly not so black and white that anybody who expresses any sort of sympathy for the idea, naive or not, should be lashed out at in such a way and threatened with boycotts.

The guy claims he's an egalitarian in literally the same set of tweets. I think it's highly unlikely that he's actually some sort of alt right internet Nazi.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Mantis wrote:I don't really see how the game is any way representing or linked with the politics he is allegedly associated with. It's a dystopian sci-fi adventure and the description in their release doesn't imply any sort of link at all.
Image?
It's an old tweet, yes, but that's the original intention for the game, straight from the horse's mouth. Dig deeper, and you see the crass, skewed idea of feminism he holds. Or held?

Dude said he had changed. I'm going to wait until the game comes out before I believe that.

Mantis wrote:Incidentally, Gamergate doesn't have a central movement or idea. It's just a hashtag, which is why there are people who don't see it as a predominantly hateful smear campaign.

Some Gamergate supporters contended that their actions are driven by concern for ethics in videogame journalism, arguing that the close relationships between journalists and developers provide evidence of an unethical conspiracy among reviewers to focus on progressive social issues,[3][9] leading to conflicts of interest.[116][117] As evidence of this, they pointed to what they considered as disproportionate praise that video game journalism gave games such as Depression Quest and Gone Home, which offered unconventional gameplay, and related stories with social implications, while they viewed traditional AAA titles as being downplayed.[118][115][119] Other commentators argued that Gamergate had the potential to raise significant issues in gaming journalism, but that the wave of misogynistic harassment and abuse associated with the hashtag had poisoned the well, making it impossible to separate honest criticism from sexist trolling.

It was a few years ago now and I don't really remember a great deal of detail. But it's clearly not so black and white that anybody who expresses any sort of sympathy for the idea, naive or not, should be lashed out at in such a way and threatened with boycotts.

The guy claims he's an egalitarian in literally the same set of tweets. I think it's highly unlikely that he's actually some sort of alt right internet Nazi.
Anyone who wants to actual talk about game journalist practices should know much better than to do so under the guise of GamerGate.

Like I said, anyone who tells you it was only about "ethical journalism" is either hoodwinked or lying. I mean, what else is there to say? It was formed as a mob initially, and people continue to use it to harass to this day.

The less said about invoking egalitarianism as a deflection, the better. It's "All Lives Matter" nonsense. You'd imagine anyone with a slightly more nuanced world view who wants to work towards a more equal society probably wouldn't kick aside marginalized voices, acting as if equality is some zero-sum game.

And I shall buy whatever games I like for whatever reasons I like.

In summery: Gamergate was, and continues to be, shit.
That's all I've got. :)
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group