E3 2017 - June 13th to June 15th

Steamz and moar.
DjchunKfunK

Re: E3 2017 - June 13th to June 15th

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:51 am

I think systems wise it is more than they have had before. Proper leveling, enemies who are different levels and a proper loot system are all new stuff for a AC game, it seems to be turning into a bit of an RPG. However after being enthused by the showing at Microsoft the bits I caught of the demo they went through after Ubisoft made it look a bit off somehow. I can't quite put my finger on what it was exactly, but it all looked a bit dated.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:56 am

I actually quite liked the look of BG&E2, aside from the needless swearing, but I've never played the original. The Fifth Element meets a Disney film world looks like it ought to be fun.

Is a level system really going to add anything to the AC series? Surely it just means you're going to be limited to certain areas because your level 5 bow can't pierce the skin of the level 20 enemy you're shooting at. Perhaps it'll make for a more guided experience, but it doesn't really feel right in an open world game where you're just fighting regular humans.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:22 am

It's a really difficult situation for Ubisoft with BG&E2 no doubt as so much time has passed and gaming in general has moved on so far beyond what the original vision entailed I can certainly understand them taking it in an entirely new direction altogether. That's not to say that it becoming more like GTA is necessarily a good or bad thing as we really need to see the game in action to decipher what that means exactly. It could genuinely turn out as the best thing ever. A friend of mine who saw it had never even heard of the first but upon directing him to a video he commented just how great it looked considering its age.

15 years after the original I'm just not so much of the open minded carefree philosophy that I should just be glad the game is being made simply because the original is so dear to my heart I'd not forgive any kind of disservice done to the IP but then I know I realistically have to be based on what I saw showcased yesterday.

I forgot to add how impressed I was with The Xbox Conference earlier. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the complete absence of the Halo's and Gears titles made a very refreshing change. Crackdown 3 looked underwhelming though and it now has stiff competition from Volition's own Agents of Mayhem which I have to say looks fun as hell. Metro also blew me away. Could that IP possibly get any more Stalker? I doubt it. Destiny 2 4k confirmed as 30fps on Xbox One X. Because 4k.

Let us also hope Geoff Keighley is being paid by the bucket load as he is clearly doing these live shows on auto-pilot already and just looks dead behind the eyes. Not much change there then!
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:38 am

Raid wrote:Is a level system really going to add anything to the AC series?

I don't know, but I'm glad they are at least trying new things.

EDIT: I'll take gating via levels over de-syncing though.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 am

I think it'd be better if they just made the whole experience a bit more linear and dropped the overly long nonsense cutscenes that drag out the poorly written story. It doesn't really need even more systems tacked on, what it needed more than anything was focus I think.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Mantis wrote:I think it'd be better if they just made the whole experience a bit more linear and dropped the overly long nonsense cutscenes that drag out the poorly written story. It doesn't really need even more systems tacked on, what it needed more than anything was focus I think.

And drop those fecking 'follow person x without being seen' missions. They're pretty much the reason I got bored of Black Flag and still haven't completed it to this day.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Nobody has ever enjoyed a stealth "follow x" mission. Or any mission that involves following anyone for any reason, especially if the person you're following moves at snail's pace or a different pace to your character. I don't understand how it's still a thing in games today - even the otherwise exceptional Breath of the Wild is guilty of it in at least one mission.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Staple is as staple does.

Certain specific aspects of the series are never going to go away let's face it. Tracking, chasing, slow walking, hiding, assassinating from on high, eve's dropping etc etc are all things any AC game is bound to have included. What I've seen of Origins in terms of gameplay now it's clear to see that it's an IP severely struggling with letting go of the past to allow it to properly embrace what it could become in the future. Hence why I'm now so disappointed that for just a moment there Ubisoft had all but convinced me this was precisely what Origins and its lengthier richer development was all about. Clearly I should have known better.

Nintendo starts at 5 btw.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:07 pm

It seems they've changed the combat quite a lot too, it looks far faster paced now and you can use stamina to dodge around people. Looks a little bit more like Dark Souls-lite than the typical AC style of waiting to counter your foes slowly one by one.

It really seems like the team wanted to make big changes to this iteration but weren't allowed to break too much from the formula so they ended up cherry picking parts of the past games and adding even more mechanics.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:21 pm

It's ridiculous that of all the things Nintendo have shown so far the most interesting looking one is Mario vs the fucking Rabbids.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Wow, that was short.

Nintendo really don't make very much anymore beyond the same franchises over and over again do they.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:36 pm

So little effort for what could and rightly should have been a Switch showcase and its time to shine. Instead we get Zelda DLC, Kirby, Splatoon and everything else you'd typically expect. Rocket League might be the only saving grace and only because of it being the very first portable version out there.

Do Nintendo even give a shit at this point?

Square Enix show starts at 7:45pm.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm extremely happy that we're getting a main series Pokemon on Switch and Metroid Prime 4, but it's frustrating that they didn't even have concept art to show.

The 25 minute length was announced beforehand. All it did for me was cause me to curse everything that wasn't a game announcement. Half of it had been seen before, half of it isn't out until at least next year. They just needed more.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Man, MS showing was bad but Sonys was horrendous! Just real ease the trailers if that's all your show is going to be!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:05 pm

If you didn't like what Nintendo showed in their showcase I'm not really sure what you want from the company. Possibly they just don't make the games you want anymore.

I thought it was a decent showing, they were never going to show a ton of stuff because they have transitioned more than any other company to showing stuff throughout the year via Directs. There was enough there for this year I think. Hopefully there is some more info about indy games soon.

They are also going to announce stuff throughout the Treehouse Live like they did last year.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group