Mad Catz files for Bankruptcy

Steamz and moar.
Prey
Admin

Mad Catz files for Bankruptcy

Postby Prey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 pm

Mad Catz was once a huge name among peripheral owners so it's a sad day indeed that the company is now pretty much dead and buried...

In disappointing but not surprising news, Mad Catz Interactive announced today that it has filed for bankruptcy.

Mad Catz Interactive is the parent company of video game accessory maker Mad Catz and audio company Tritton. It voluntarily filed for bankruptcy yesterday, March 30, with its directors and officers also resigning.

Its subsidiary Mad Catz, Inc.--which you know as the company responsible for producing controllers, keyboards, mice, and other video game accessories--has now ceased operations and filed for chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code, which will see its assets liquidated. The fate of Tritton was not outlined in a press release announcing the news, but additional Mad Catz Interactive subsidiaries are expected to be liquidated.

Mad Catz has had a rough few years. In 2015, it warned of "substantial doubt about the company’s ability to continue" due to uncertainty around the performance of Rock Band 4, which it made a big gamble on.

Source: Gamespot
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Mad Catz files for Bankruptcy

Postby Raid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm not too surprised; Mad Catz bought Saitek for around $30million in 2007, and then sold it off to Logitech last year for less than half of that. It didn't sound good by that point.

It's a strange business, gaming peripherals. If you make things well, then you don't get repeat custom as a good peripheral should last the consumer for years. If you make things badly, well you don't get new custom. The main console companies tend to produce very high-quality peripherals to begin with, so much so that people don't want to own third-party ones at all. It doesn't sound like an easy market sector to be in.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:12 pm

Razer seem to have the business down quite well. They make really comfortable and ergonomic mice that feel amazing to use, but then they break after a year or so and you have to fork out another £70 for a replacement.

I gave up on unreliable Razer mice a few years ago and use a very comfortable Logitech G502 now, but it only cost me £30 on sale and that was about two years ago.

I just wonder how long this Razer keyboard has left in it..

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:49 pm

I've disliked much of the razer kit I've bought over the years. I currently have a razer back lit keyboard that regularly decides to not bother backlighting which means I have to turn it on and off in the software to fix. This can happen a several times in a session for which there doesn't seem to be any permanent fix.

Keep meaning to get a new one.

Sad to hear about this company going under. The saitek thing killed them off it seems.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:51 pm

They messed up by going big on music games. Rock Band 4 basically sunk the company.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:54 pm

So they produced a crap load of plastic guitars anticipating a huge buy into the thus rock band thing that never happened? God. Between misjudging that and a huge loss on buying saitek .. that's some nasty management there.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:56 pm

Making this thing can't have helped, apparently it was $300
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:37 pm

You can still buy them. I'd never heard of it before so I did a quick google. You'd think, looking at it, that it'd be a controller that folds up to be more pocketable, right? You'd only be partially correct, as you have to assemble parts of it every time you unfold it. The insides of the grips are separate parts that you need to attach. The phone holder is a separate part too, though that does at least fold down over the rest of the device. The tablet holder? That's a solid bar that doesn't fold. If you fancied a quick tablet game on the bus, you would in fact need to assemble 6 different components, plus the tablet itself. You'd look like you were assembling the world's smallest scaffold.

Just who in the hell thought that was a good idea?!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:21 pm

Eightarc rejoice.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 pm

Mad Catz are allergic to good ideas.

second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:15 am

I really loved my RAT 5 mouse, most comfortable mouse I've ever owned but the materials/components used it in let it down. They also screwed themselves when buying Saitek as their products is a niche market but they were pretty terrible in keeping drivers/software up to date. And so slow in getting windows 10 drivers to work.

But aye they really fucked up big time with the useless plastic gimicky rockband crap.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:59 am

I'm not even sure there are drivers for my lovely X52 HOTAS. There was a hacked together thing but pretty bad overall.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:02 am

That comes under the Saitek side which is part of logitech now right? You'd think there'd be some support from that end.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:45 am

Rusty not even sure there's been anything official from Madcatz/Saitek for windows 10 and the x52 sticks. My friend has trying to get her stick to work for elite for a while with no luck. Can only hope that Logitech are looking into it or maybe email there tech support about it since they own it all now.

The rhino's and the newer stick are suported in windows 10 now if your really wanting to buy them.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:13 am

Ooh, actually, just checked and there's some non-beta drivers there now. Will try it after work :)
Happy days

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group