Games As Service subscriptions

Steamz and moar.
Achtung Englander

Games As Service subscriptions

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Just signed up to EA Access for PC. Its only £20 for a year and although I can expense it I am mightly impressed, its really cheap given what you can get access (get it).

I might also try out Microsoft Game Pass but I have stopped at PS Now. First its expensive and secondly its streaming. Although Sony should be given credit in thinking big in regards to subscription service, PS Now does feel like the worst option
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

Mantis
Admin

Re: Games As Service subscriptions

Postby Mantis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:38 pm

I think these services are good for a little while, but like Netflix, eventually you've played all you want that they have available and then it doesn't get updated often enough for you to bother continuing the subscription.

I don't think we really have the infrastructure to support high quality game streaming yet either.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Thing what would put me off this is simply that anything I would want to play I own already. The only way they might get me to do this is to put out some utterly amazing game and make it sub only or something.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Not that I'd encourage them to do it, but I wonder whether Gog would work as a subscription service? Conceivably there's numerous games in their catalogue many people either didn't play when they first came out, or who have physical copies that you need an advanced IT degree to even get working. Pay a few quid a month, and get to play the old classics from yesteryear, without necessarily forking out £5 or thereabouts for a game you might not get more than a couple of hours' play from due to their age.
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:01 pm

I like the PSNow approach best because it's so dip in dip out quickly which is more what I'd want from this kind of service to supplement my collection. It also works really well even though the internet is full of people that haven't used it slagging it off. OnLive impressed me and this is way better. It is a little expensive but there are 4x the games. Really annoyed they dropped Vita support though.

The Xbox way is perhaps better if you just got the console, have no games and played little 360.

Not going to pay for either right enough because I have a backlog so large it's collapsing into a supermassive black hole. I do hope Sony keep Now going though and I especially hope this MS thing drives the price down and gets them to add PS1/2 games as well.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:23 pm

true to be totally honest I really signed up to EA Access because I can expense it

With PS Now, there are a lot of games but on the PC they can only be played with a PS4 Controller and for 1st person games or even 3rd person I prefer K&M.

Still might get a Xim 4 but they are not half pricey
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Not that I'd encourage them to do it, but I wonder whether Gog would work as a subscription service? Conceivably there's numerous games in their catalogue many people either didn't play when they first came out, or who have physical copies that you need an advanced IT degree to even get working. Pay a few quid a month, and get to play the old classics from yesteryear, without necessarily forking out £5 or thereabouts for a game you might not get more than a couple of hours' play from due to their age.

Hmm I think the £5 for the older games is very easy to swallow myself, even if it's for nostalgia stake of a quick play for a little bit be it a hour or so. I've certainly nearly rebought all my older dos games etc from there even though I still own physical copies of many of them :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Not for me. I've mostly stopped buying games to sit in a backlog while I play the same 3-4 games over and over, this would just be a subscription to a backlog for me.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Not for me - I like to buy shit and be done.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group