PC GAMER Article: Do we really need Half-Life 3?

Steamz and moar.

Does the Modern Gaming World Really Need Half-Life 3?

Yes
35%
No
52%
Pffft. All you need is DOOM!
13%

Total votes : 23

Prey
Admin

PC GAMER Article: Do we really need Half-Life 3?

Postby Prey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:43 am

Half-Life 3. Do you want it? Do we even need it? Do you even care any longer? Duke Nukem Forever says hi.

Half-Life 2 took that further, and grounded a more sophisticated (but still familiar) story of near-future resistance in a believable dystopia. It has been widely imitated, and for good reason. It was a compellingly presented world populated by well-performed characters. Again, you felt like you were in a real place to an extent that you hadn't necessarily been in previous games.

In addition to advancing the FPS as a whole, then, Half-Life 3 would presumably need to advance our understanding of what a gameworld can be. This is where it gets much more complicated, I suspect. The advance of game engine technology has slowed. We're not blown away by see-saw physics any more. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve had experimented with VR with this in mind. Because what else could they do?

http://www.pcgamer.com/do-we-really-need-half-life-3/
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: PC GAMER Article: Do we really need Half-Life 3?

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:14 am

Moment has passed I think. The world has moved on.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:31 am

I voted no but I just know that if they announced HL3 I'd still be mega excited about it. Do we really "need" HL3? Probably not but I bet you'd all buy it :)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:45 am

I think Valve know better than anyone right now that the gaming landscape has so drastically changed since the last outing when they were riding high as a developer that even if they finally brought it out it would become just another long awaited immense disappointment for many whose aspirations for it waaaaay exceed anything they now have the time to actually make. And breathe. A full on technically fucking mind blowing VR experience would be their only viable option to even truly make the IP relevant once more I feel although I know many will disagree with such a statement as DOOM didn't need to go VR to accomplish the same in 2016. DOOM is a very different beast though. This is Half-Life and in many ways that in itself is Valve's very own undoing. There can be no half measures if ever a new instalment was to actually release or you'd be welcoming in the wolves right through your door and you may never recover.

We as gamers now are far removed from the gamers we once were a decade ago. I know I am at least.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:32 am

I don't need Half Life 3, but I would like to see Valve make another game, it doesn't have to even be an fps.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:18 am

This years PREY reboot looks like it will fill pretty much most of the requirements gamers are after and other titles such as Escape from Tarkov, Sniper 3, Battalion 1944, Strafe and additional DLC for all current genres releases has the year pretty much covered too. Then there's the possibility of Destiny 2 also coming to PC this year but my guess is it won't do anything like the business it does on consoles - or at least did before you needed a second mortgage just to play everything.

I pretty much agree the window for HL3 to even be a thing has long since closed and folk have long since moved on to anticipating other games instead some of which I mentioned above. While I won't go as far as to say it's completely irrelevant I can certainly understand why Valve aren't too fussed about it any longer.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:29 am

I do think HL3 will be a thing but like said above they'll package it up in VR or something.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:39 pm

I voted yes, because I loved 2 and there is scope for combined imaginations to make a third installment and it be as equally as enjoyable, fulfilling and meaty as playing the others.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:04 pm

I imagine we won't see it unless Valve can think of doing it in a way that completely innovates the first person genre. They must know that anything other than a mind blowing experience will probably be met with disappointment.

I suspect that is why they have so many little teams working on independent projects yet never producing complete games. Steam gives them a constant revenue, so they can work on what they like without any real pressure to release. Perhaps they are searching for the holy grail of game design.

Or at least, that's what I hope they're doing. I'd rather they didn't release any games for years but eventually came out with something truly amazing rather than putting out a title every few years that just slots in with the same old tired genres.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Mantis wrote:I imagine we won't see it unless Valve can think of doing it in a way that completely innovates the first person genre. They must know that anything other than a mind blowing experience will probably be met with disappointment.

I suspect that is why they have so many little teams working on independent projects yet never producing complete games. Steam gives them a constant revenue, so they can work on what they like without any real pressure to release. Perhaps they are searching for the holy grail of game design.

Or at least, that's what I hope they're doing. I'd rather they didn't release any games for years but eventually came out with something truly amazing rather than putting out a title every few years that just slots in with the same old tired genres.

This sums up my thoughts too tbh.

HL2 as a game wasn't really all that amazing, but the world they created was what set the bar. Physics, liquid effects, all that stuff that is now a de facto expectation for us as gamers in any world we hop into, that was HL2's legacy. Valve are probably the only development house that lives on the side of a vast cash-generating behemoth, and so can have the luxury of truly working towards groundbreaking, genre-defining titles with no real concerns how many internal attempts it takes before they actually release something.

As such, yes, I hope that HL3 does occur, simply because for something to come out of that developer, it will probably be something very special indeed that once again raises the bar.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm more excited at the prospect of Left 4 Dead 3 myself. I'm not sure who actually controls the rights to the series but it'd be great to see Valve release a sequel that really built on the variable level layouts and AI director of the older ones.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Aye many an hour put into L4D not so much the second.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:52 pm

L4D2, with a bunch of custom maps and weapons, is sat on my HDD permanently and gets regular airings. I too would love to see a L4D3, I wouldn't think it would take much to make the stories truly randomise themselves and their paths to make each playthrough unique.

T'would be most cool.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 pm

I will moan and groan that I don't want another one and it's too late but I know full well that should HL3 ever be announced I would get all gooey eyed.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:35 pm

I would buy Half Life 3 (assuming it's made by Valve and not handed over to another developer) if it were released, but it's been 10 years since episode 2. I stopped caring after 3 or 4.

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group