Digitally Dismantled

Steamz and moar.
Prey
Admin

Digitally Dismantled

Postby Prey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Poorer selling digital games are being removed from our own gaming stockpiles. Did you even notice?

We’re seeing the consequences of the abandoning of physical media. Titles are being taken away, right from under our noses, and we’re left wondering why. There are no warnings or explanations, just confusion when we suddenly go to look for a game and find it isn’t there. And that, my friends, is just plain wrong.

The fact that it’s happened three times now in the span of a single week only goes to prove what a problem it is now, and what a disaster it could grow to be. Since 2017 began, six games have become casualties to the passage of time. Codemasters’ Dirt 3, F1 2013, and Grid and Activision’s The Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan have all turned to dust in the wind that blows out of your console or computer’s fan. Each one has been removed from every possible digital distribution service. While it may be understandable, it isn’t right. Especially since these removals were handled so poorly.

Of course, some may see these recent disappearances as no big loss. Dirt 3, F1 2013, and Grid are old games, while The Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan aren’t particularly good ones. But that isn’t what matters here. By letting incidents like this happen and pass without saying anything, we’re condoning them. We’re saying it’s okay for games to suddenly be delisted and disappear, denying future players access to digital copies. It’s happening with games we may not care about now, but it could happen to ones that do matter to us in the months and years to come.

http://dispatches.cheatcc.com/2722
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Digitally Dismantled

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Disgraceful practice if true. Horrifying through that cherished games could suddenly disappear from your library on the whim of a publisher, but unfortunately that's the risk, isn't it, when you don't own physical media?
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Of course I know about this. Games have been quietly taken down from digital stores since digital stores became a thing.
That said, if you've bought the game previously, you're still able to download them. It's rare that a game is all the way gone.

I guess that's the price you can expect to pay for wanting everything digital.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Yep, might be considered bad practice by gamers but publishers have always sold us digital content on the provision that we're simply buying a licence to use it, and that they can revoke that licence at any time they like.

It's an aspect of digital sales that people like to just pretend doesn't exist. But you don't own shit, and any digital retailer could remove any one of your games without notice and they'd be completely within their legal rights to do that.

The only way that'll ever change is if one of them does something on a stupid scale which causes enough of a public uproar that the laws are reviewed and changed. But I doubt that will ever happen.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:34 pm

It's a bad practice, but I think in each of these cases it might have to do with the expiry of a license. As long as they allow people to still download the game if they bought it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:48 pm

If you can still play the game you've already purchased them I'm less outraged, I wasn't entirely sure based on the article Prey posted whether or not that's the case.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit confused. It's just removal of old games from the Steam store due to rights issues I think? Not from existing Steam users' libraries if already purchased.

Or... is it? It's such a terribly written and unclear article, I can't tell.

If it really was the case that Steam users libraries were being covertly dismantled, surely this would be a massive issue that everyone would be getting mad about right now.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:07 pm

katarn it's just removing them from the store so you can't buy them anymore. If you bought it it's there for life in your library.

If they were purging it from customers steam accounts you would certainly hear about it all over the place :P

I have a few games that is no longer sold on the Steam market and haven't been for some time but I can redownload them from Steam at any time and play them.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:30 pm

If that's the case then this article really isn't worded very well at all. And nor is Prey's opening comment. -_- It sounded like they were removing games from your library. EA did that to a few people on Origin a while back and there was a much larger fuss.

Publishing rights expiring and games no longer being available on the store really isn't a new thing or anything to be remotely concerned about. It happens all the time. No doubt they will turn up again at some point when someone else gets the right to sell them, probably GOG!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Yes, if that is indeed what is happening, and it sounds like it is, then it's not worth getting up in arms over. Glad I'm not the only one who made the wrong assumption based on the wording of the article.
My face is tired.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:57 pm

It might just be licensing. Racing games have a LOT a licenses for cars, in-game sponsors, tracks and the rights to the sport itself. GTA games have this problem, if you buy 3/Vice CIty/San Andreas today you will have less tracks on the radio then if you bought them on release, however rockstar kindly remove the tracks rather than the whole game.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group