Preys-World Game of the Year Awards

Steamz and moar.
DjchunKfunK

Preys-World Game of the Year Awards

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:28 am

I'm not sure if we did one of these last year or not, but I thought it might be nice to resurrect them. I've gone for a more simple approach because genres and platforms etc doesn't really work anymore. So just post your nominations here and I'll collate a list.

Game of The Year

Biggest Surprise

Biggest Disappointment

Best not 2016 game of 2016

(A game you played for the first time this year that you really liked that didn't come out this year)

Honorable Mention
(Lets say three games that you also liked this year.)

Most Anticipated Game of 2017

EDIT: Feel free to post a bit about your decisions if you want, but you don't have to.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Preys-World Game of the Year Awards

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Game of The Year

XCOM 2 - improved on the already very good first game, excellent game.

Biggest Surprise

Stardew Valley - came out of nowhere to be one of the best games of the year, my no2 for 2016.

Biggest Disappointment

Deus Ex Mankind Divided - It was ok. It lost me somewhere about two-thirds of the way through and I've still not finished it. Just a bit meh. I actually enjoyed the more-derided Mafia 3 more than I did this. Certainly the latter game has the better, more memorable characters.

(A game you played for the first time this year that you really liked that didn't come out this year)
I dunno... hard to remember what I've bought let alone played this year. Borderland 2 maybe? Didn't play it for ages after buying it, got into it fairly recently. It's good.

Honorable Mention

Tyranny - good RPG, not a classic perhaps but very interesting story, lore and premise and at 25-30 hours doesn't outstay its welcome
Rimworld - still in Early Access, but this is shaping up to be very good
American Truck Simulator maybe? Had a fair bit of fun with that.

Useful resource, incidentally, as a reminder of what came out when this year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_v ... e_releases
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Game of the year.

Witcher 3 DLC...simply put its how DLC should be.

Biggest surprise

Battlefield 1...was expecting get this to be typical recent BF fare but it's actually a lot better than anything they've done recently. Looks great plays great and the return to old world war is surprisingly fresh over the trend for modern warfare.

Biggest disappointment

Dishonored 2...just didn't hit the spot like the first and a buggy release which is still ongoing doesn't help.

Best "not a 2016" game first played in 2016

Hmmmmm. I don't think I have one in this category.

Honorable mentions

Elite Dangerous continues to improve on the decent but bare boned release.

Anticipated game 2017.

Prey 2
Mass effect
Potentially cyberpunk 2077.
Last edited by Jez on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Game of The Year
XCOM 2 - Having never played an XCOM game before I wasn't sure what to expect, and the result was one of my favourite games not just of this year but of the last decade. I'm on my third campaign already and it is still incredibly good.

Biggest Surprise
Again, XCOM 2, mainly for the reasons above and because I bought it more or less on a whim.

Biggest Disappointment
Stellaris. It's a good game and I enjoyed playing it, but honestly I think it may be a one-and-done game. Unlike other Paradox strategy games I have no drive to play it again.

80 Days. I've been round the world more times than a dozen Michael Palins.

Honourable Mention
Hitman - They finally got it right again.
Tyranny - Very good story let down by an abomination of an ending, but that shouldn't take away from the rest of the game.
F1 2016 - The best F1 game since Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4.

Mass Effect: Andromeda
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Game of the Year

Stardew Valley: Such an amazing game that does so many thing right.

Biggest Surprise

Stardew Valley: As well as being an amazing game this just came right out of nowhere.

Honourable Mention

Owlboy: Such a beautifully put together game, the art and music are just first rate. The way the developers manage to elicit such character from just the smallest of animations is astounding at times. On top of that the gameplay is good fun and the story is well told.

Firewatch: Another game that astounds with it's aural and visual splendor. Much like Owlboy it's a joy to play and the developers manage to create an amazing world full of life and character.

Dark Souls 3: I was unsure about putting this on here as it is the first Dark Souls game I haven't completed, but looking back i don't think it was because I didn't enjoy it, but because I did that classic thing of getting distracted. It's very much more of the same, but the formula is so good that I'm OK with that. It's also a step up from 2 in it's world building. One I think I'll return to over the winter break.

Biggest Disappointment

I think this might be a tie between Stellaris and Dishonored 2. With Stellaris I think I got caught up in the hype that I would finally like a space 4X game. However I quickly got bored. As for Dishonored 2 I struggled to get on with it. I think on balance it has to go to Stellaris because Dishonored 2 has some great design and even though I think the story is just plain terrible it has moments that I enjoyed. Looking back on Stellaris I couldn't tell you anything that I really enjoyed doing.

Most Anticipated Game

Zelda Breath of the Wild/ Nintendo Switch. Had to be really. :)

Up until the last month I probably would have said DOTA 2, but I think I might be done with DOTA so instead I'll say

Everyone's Gone to the Rapture. As you can probably tell from my other nominations I like a good story and a game with atmosphere and this had both of those. I can see why it won so many accolades last year.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Can someone sticky this and perhaps make it appear at the top of the other folders?

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:38 pm

Edited mine for most anticipated 2017 game.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Game of The Year
X-Com 2: An absolutely superb turn-based strategy that genuinely rewards positioning and thinking ahead, and all against tight turn limits that require you to take risks rather than edging slowly forwards. Add to that an excellent customisation system that gives you a sense of attachment to your troops, all combined with an atmosphere of constant dread at what could be next. It's part Sims, part Commandos, and part Dark Souls.

Biggest Surprise
DooM: I think most of us expected a competent shooter, but this was absolute balls-to-the-walls shooting nirvana. It's about as pure an example of the FPS genre as you can get; no weapon reloading, no stamina bar, no fannying about searching for health packs or ammo pickups that would kill the game's inertia (you instead rip them out of your enemies who explode like pinatas), yet it makes enough concessions for a modern audience to ensure there's still some depth with secrets, weapon and armour upgrades. Probably the most appropriate soundtrack to a game ever, too.

Biggest Disappointment
The Division: As wide as the ocean but as deep as a puddle, at least from my perspective. It's a reasonable TPS with great production values, but there's just so little variety. The loot system added absolutely nothing, and the number of player skills was woefully small. It lost my attention within a week.

Best not 2016 game of 2016[/b]
DCS World: Revitalised by the release of the Oculus Rift, this game has basically accomplished a dream I've had since I was about ten; owning a fully featured, virtual reality combat flight simulator. It's so comprehensive that I genuinely think I could operate a real A-10C Warthog (so long as, y'know, nobody was trying to shoot at me), and not kill myself 7 times out of 10.

Honorable Mentions
Planet Coaster: A modern tycoon game that while not hitting every single note of its predecessor, RCT3, absolutely oozes charm.
Super Hot: Super. Hot. Super. Hot. Super. Hot.
Stardew Valley: A retro-styled indie-game that absolutely matched the style of the 16-bit games it was emulating. Relaxing, charming, and very well made.

DCS F/A-18: A bit of a cop-out, maybe, but the Hornet is hopefully coming to DCS World next year, and there's enough supporting content to make it a new experience. The first full fidelity sim of a multi-role, reasonably modern American aircraft, with proper carrier take-offs and landings, and the Strait of Hormuz (covering parts of the UAE and Iran) map that'll allow for some great cold-war scenarios.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:10 pm

Game of The Year
Overwatch - As frustrating as it is rewarding. Still one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had in a shooter in a very, very long time. Not to be played alone though, only really shines when you've got some peeps on voice chat.

Biggest Surprise
Factorio - Still not sure how I feel about this. It immerses you in a hostile world, conjures up feelings of isolation, makes you obsess over every little routine to make sure everything is perfect and just eats hours of your life. Didn't think I'd get into it as much as I did, but it was incredibly addicting and consuming, and I didn't even manage half the crazy stuff some of the die hard players pull off. A deeply unpleasant emotional experience which I loved but don't really intend on going back to; unless it comes out of early access with a ton of new content. Probably would have been my GOTY if I hadn't sunk so many more hours into Overwatch.

Biggest Disappointment
Don't really have one. I'm a cynic with big releases nowadays and don't usually buy games until way after release, so I know fully what to expect.

Undertale - One of the most entertaining little games I've played in years. Just plain enjoyable.

Honorable Mention
Civilization VI - Some good changes over Civ V, ruined somewhat by an oversimplified UI and really really bad AI. Hoping that it will come out as the cream of the franchise after heavy patching and an expansion or two.
Hyper Light Drifter - Not played much yet, but it is fantastic.

Crash Bandicoot Remade for PS4 - Because it's Crash Bandicoot.
Nioh - Samurai Dark Souls.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:15 pm

Game of The Year
Titanfall 2:

Hands down the single best pc game I've played this year. If you think the sense of fluid motion in DOOM was done well TitFa2 takes it up another notch and makes man and weaponry a single killing entity the likes of which we have never really had before. Great campaign. Fantastic and often ludicrously pumped up multiplayer that makes you wet your pants out of excitement. Loads of customisation options. Free future DLC. The fact the game has sold so very poorly across all platforms is easily the biggest shock of 2016 because Respawn deserved the game to be all it could be this time around. Hopefully EA believe in it enough to keep pushing it so the best can continue to get better.

Biggest Surprise
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare single player campaign. Never in a million years would I have expected a new CoD campaign to literally branch off in so many directions at once. Somebody somewhere at Infinity Ward actually had the idea of putting effort into it this time around and unlike any other CoD campaign it is one I completed and then instantly started to replay over, that's almost unheard of. For once CoD didn't all feel just about the already DOA multiplayer. Shame it's been so overlooked.

The fact I never bought Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Considering so many of us loved the first and always dreamed of a sequel MEC pretty much came out and disappeared not long after as if it almost never released at all. I don't know a single person who bought it or has even played it. :|

Biggest Disappointment
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Gawd I wanted so very much to praise this game, to enjoy everything this game had to offer but for one reason or another I never 100% clicked with it as I fully expected I would when I first started playing. Aside from it being a sadly particularly forgettable gaming experience the main disappointment came from Nixxes who I would normally swear by giving us a terrible PC port of the game. Since it released this has had so many patches and updates I've lost count although to my knowledge none of them has helped deliver the game I was hoping for. Overall the game just didn't feel ready in spite of it actually being significantly delayed the magic touch Human Revolution had was somehow severely lacking.

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition/Metal Gear Solid V. I currently have around 80 hours played on both and although I initially dismissed MGSV I actually ended up having a whale of a time with it - mass repetition and all.

Honorable Mention
DOOM, Grow Up, I only wish I could add Mafia III here but I never got to play it. Maybe next year. After an upgrade.

Nier: Automata. I've pretty much loved every game Platinum Games has ever made with the exception of a few and I've heard nothing but praise for the original. What I have seen in videos though looks right up my alley. Ever so glad Square Enix made the decision to bring it to PC.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:59 pm

Game of The Year
The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine. I don't care that it is DLC, it's better than most full games.
Biggest Surprise
Doom. Never expected it to be as good as it was, although it seemed to stop being popular pretty quickly. I blame the shitty multiplayer

Biggest Disappointment
Just Cause 3. They managed to make the combat and driving worse than JC2, which must have been a mighty effort, while turning rampages into a quest to press hidden buttons, adding ridiculous loading times, poor framerates and somehow the game doesn't even look as good as JC2

Rebel Galaxy wins by default, I haven't played many old games for the first time this year

Honorable Mention
Grim Dawn
Shadow Warrior 2
Fallout 4

Still hoping for Serious Sam 4, and maybe Divinity OS 2 or Mount And Blade Bannerlord will get a full release next year but probably not.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:41 pm

Game of The Year
DOOM - This is it. There have been many games over the past decades that have claimed to capture the spirit of the originals. It doesn't matter now. From top to bottom, this is the true modern successor to Doom's Legacy. I knew it was going to be special. The only surprise here was how far it exceeded my expectations.

As the chaos mounts and the forces of hell swarm upon me, I know I can maintain control of the situation. So long as the bullets keep flying, the blood continues to pour and I just. Keep. Moving!

Biggest Surprise
HITMAN - Nobody was talking about the Hitman game following up the less than impressive Absolution and it's seemingly cynical Episodic approach.
Turns out it's the best the series has ever been and splitting into episodes was actually a great move. Consider me surprised!

Biggest Disappointment
XCOM 2 - I'm more disappointed in myself for not being able to play the game. It's just stressful in a way I can't handle.

Dungeons 2 - Not going to pretend it that it's not a bit naff, but man, did it hit a sweet spot.

Honourable Mentions (Better known as the rest of my top 10 in no order)
Titanfall 2 - Excellent, creative single player with an addictive multiplayer that had me hooked. Damn good!
Inside - Bleak puzzle platformer. Amazing look and vibe that goes places.
Stories: Paths of Destiny - Delightful little chose-you-own-adventure ARPG-lite.
Quantum Break - They don't make epic narrative third person shooters like this any more. And I doubt they will again.
Overwatch - Never been a big fan of multiplayer games, but the sheer charm won me over.
Forza Horizon 3 - A perfect balance of arcade and sim. Captures the joys of driving wonderfully while sending you off to gorgeous locations.
Rhythm Heaven Megamix - Excellent music and rhythmic button pressing! Wub-a-dubba-dubba-that true?
Pony Island - Endless runner from hell! Light gameplay and puzzles tied together by a narrative that continuously spirals out of control. (I should have given this place to Super Hot, but this is a diplomatic choice!)

Ghost Recon: Wildlands- Drug Lord Blasting!
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Deep Space Shooting!
Scalebound - Dub-step Dragons!
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:49 am

This is a really difficult year, there haven't been that many epic titles for me really.

Game of The Year
Stardew Valley - came out of nowhere, and a game so cute I would usually run screaming in the opposite direction. Absolutely adored it though!

Biggest Surprise
Stardew Valley - see above.

Biggest Disappointment
No Mans Sky - was ballhang

Dying Light - The Following - I have put so many hours in on this game - a mate and I play it exclusively co-op and it just just so fucking right, zombie survival with plenty of dismemberment, and the expansion is great too.

Honorable Mention
Rimworld
Hitman
Planet Coaster
Total War: Warhammer
Neo-scavenger
Watch Dogs 2
The Division

Ghost Recon: Wildlands
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:34 am

Game of The Year
Street Fighter 5
It doesn't deserve it for how it launched but I've played it more and had more fun with it than any other game released this year.

Biggest Surprise
Doom campaign. Awesome!

Biggest Disappointment
Doom multiplayer. I decided I'd go for the plat on PS4 and the pain of even playing it to lv5. Its such trash, a whole lot because of the stupid fucking demon pish. If you're playing this on pc the only explanation is that you don't know the new UT is free and awesome..... Prey ;)

Until Dawn. One of the best games this gen, easily.

Honorable Mention
Hitman - Doom award for "how is it this good?"
Clash Royale - great bite size strategy, overpriced iaps but never felt any need to pay.
Witness - a lot I don't like and some puzzles are irritatingly dumb but when it does it's thing it's very relaxing and lovely.

Budget Cuts - can't wait! Demo was awesome!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group