Your 'to be completed' pile

Steamz and moar.
Sly Boots
MILF

Your 'to be completed' pile

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:35 pm

If you're anything like me, you find yourself playing games until completion less and less often. Sure, many times you'll play a game, especially if it's a shorter one, that holds your interest right to the end, but other times, for various reasons - something else comes along you get into instead, not quite interesting enough to hold your interest until the end, lack of time etc - it doesn't happen.

But they still exist in a mental list, games you fully intend to come back to one day and complete, yet the day never quite seems to arrive. This thread is about listing those games.

Not games you bought in a sale on a whim but never loaded up, not those you played for a bit and thought 'nah'... these are the ones you have every intention of finishing at some point in the indeterminate future.

So, what's yours?

To kick it off, this is my current tbc list:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided - will probably finish this fairly soon in fact, now have upgraded gpu
Witcher 3 - have played the main game three times, but not yet completed the final DLC... something holds me back, maybe a bit sad to see the end of Geralt's story?
Borderlands 2 - didn't get into this at first, then I did for a bit, then I wasn't into it, then I was again, then Tyranny came out. One day.
Undertale - liked it well enough to want to finish it, but not enough to do so yet...
Shadowrun HK - stopped playing literally in the last level, I forget why now. One day I will complete it.
Darksiders 2 - was quite enjoying it, then stopped playing. Intend to pick it up again at some point.
Darksiders - never enjoyed it as much as I do 2, but now the remaster is out I want to try it again
Shadow of Mordor - I intend to complete it, yet in my heart I know I never will
Blackguards - enjoyed the opening few hours, stopped playing, intend to go back at some point
The Banner Saga - I really do need to play this to the end.
Metro 2033 - this one probably won't ever happen
Assassin's Creed Black Flag - got a bit bogged down by the tedious story, but I liked it enough to at least want to finish it.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - see below.

That's... that's quite the list, isn't it? :lol:
Last edited by Sly Boots on Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Your 'to be completed' pile

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:47 pm

As a rule I have taken to making sure I complete more games so I tend to keep playing until I have completed the game I am currently on. This is helped by the fact that I play a lot more smaller games now that take less time to complete. The only time I really stop now is usually because I am not enjoying the game.

Right now I can only think of two games I have started this year and not finished.

Dishonored 2: I was just not really getting on with the game, it hadn't grabbed me like the previous game did and I think I prefer the stealth in Desu Ex, so the fact I had recently played and completed that was effecting my enjoyment of Dishonored.

Dark Souls 3: I don't really know why I stopped playing this. I was really enjoying it, but for whatever reason I just stopped playing it and have never really had the desire to go back. Maybe I'm just a bit Dark Soulsed out as it is the least amount of time I have put into a Souls game.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:49 pm

Reckon mine is double that. I'm really fickle with my limited time gaming if it's not grabbing me and holding on then it gets dropped.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:27 pm

This will be a pretty sizeable list. Though if we were to include games bought on Steam sales and never even booted up it would likely exceed 100 titles.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 pm

Yes, for that reason chose to exclude them!

I can't believe I forgot the game I saw in my Steam library that kicked off this train of thought: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Back in the 90s, I was a mahoosive fan of all the LucasArts adventure games; all the Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango etc... all except one, the good Indy game.

I don't know why, it just passed me by even when I played all the other games from the same studio. One day, probably 5-6 years ago, it came up in a Steam sale and I decided to see what I'd been missing out on all these years. It was pretty good... very good in places. Then I got to one bit where I wasn't exactly stuck (age of the internet, after all), but I just didn't fancy at that time - a big maze of some kind - and I never went back. But all these years it's been an itch in the back of my head begging for completion.

Maybe one day.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 pm

I've so many unfinished games that I couldn't easily create a proper list, but some edited highlights:

Games I plan to finish at some point
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - I got a few hours into it. I can't pinpoint anything wrong with it, but it didn't grab me like Human Revolution.
Wasteland 2 - I enjoyed this and got quite far into it and then just lost interest.
F1 2016 - Going through a championship and currently on Austria. Best F1 game since the days of Geoff Crammond.
Total War: Warhammer - I started a dwarf campaign and it went horribly wrong. Very much enjoyed it, though, so will come back to it.
Dishonored (1) - I got a fair way into it but my interest trailed a bit. Definitely seems like one to give another shot.

Games I have no intention of finishing
Rise of the Tomb Raider - A good game, but about 8 hours in I got the distinct impression I'd seen the best of what it had to offer, and I didn't care about the story.
Shadow of Mordor - I want to like this but I really don't. I kept bouncing off it.
Dark Souls - I tried. I really did. I even made progress, but it's just not worth the frustration so I decided once and for all, fuck this game forever more. :lol:
Final Fantasy IX - I adore FF7 and FF8 for many reasons, but I'd never played 9 until I picked it up on Steam. I think you had to be there at the time, which is probably also true of 7 and 8. It's not bad, but I don't love it, and I've no drive to finish it.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:59 pm

Yeah, if there was a list of games I've started but no intention of finishing, Dark Souls would be on mine. Got relatively far (halfway maybe) but then decided I'd had enough but was glad I'd tried it at least.

Mordor is probably on that list for me as well, if I'm honest.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:06 pm

This is a pretty hefty list, mostly because I started a number of them and have since built a new rig which totally killed my enthusiasm to go back to most of them. Any gaming time I do have tends to get eaten up by multiplayer titles or games with no discernible end like Civilization.

I've also got a bit of a thing where I won't buy/play a later game in a series if I haven't finished the predecessor yet. So there's a few titles on here that I just need to suck it up and finish because I really want to play their sequels.

In no particular order:

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin - Finished Dark Souls 2 many times but still haven't got around to playing any of the very well received DLC. Scholar came out with all the DLC bundled so I picked it up but haven't actually got far enough into the game to access any of the new content yet. The first example of a game I need to finish to allow me to justify buying Dark Souls 3.
Mass Effect 2 - I'm so close to the end of this, but it's just not as good as the first game. I'm not sure that I will bother with 3 even if I do get around to finishing it.
Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain - Literally made it about 3 hours into the main story and then spent about 15 hours just doing side missions and collecting hidden items throughout the map. Felt like I'd more or less seen everything the game had to offer by this point and couldn't really be bothered to carry on. I will at some point even though I heard the latter half of the game is a drag. Keifer Sutherland is also a really bad Snake.
Batman: Arkham City - Just a bad game compared to the first. I loved Asylum but felt like this was just more of the same, only with less focus and far more guff added in. I didn't really need a sequel to Asylum and doubt I will buy Knight when I do finish this. I think I was a good two thirds of the way through so it wouldn't take much to polish off and uninstall.
Dishonored - Really need to get back to this as I only played about a quarter of it before my new rig was made. Just haven't got round to it yet and am looking forward to the day I finally get to see the rest of it.
Skyrim - Yeah, this will probably never happen. Got about 10 hours in then realised it was basically the same as Oblivion. I don't know how Bethesda get away with making the same poor quality game every time.
Fallout 1 & 2 - I started both of these after playing Fallout 3 and hating it and I really want to go back and carry on with them. But they're pretty far down my list of priorities. One day.
Baldurs Gate 1 - About half way through, it's a bit old and clunky now and you can miss tons of content just by one map randomly generating instead of another when you exit an area. But I did like it, and it's one of those that I feel like I have to finish in order to play Baldurs Gate 2 which I've been told is vastly better.
Hyper Light Drifter - Received this as a birthday present only recently. Made a start on it but then had to go away with work for a few days, then when I came back I bought Civ 6. Fantastic from what I've seen so far though and I've already listened to the soundtrack a lot. This is probably one of the few on this list that I will likely finish fairly soon.
Metro 2033 - Keen to get back to this but just didn't have the time when I built the new rig.
Shadow of Mordor - Half way through. Spent way too long on first map (30+ hours) then got to second and saw it was even bigger. Groan. I like the AI system but I feel like I've pretty much played it to death already. Though I do sort of feel like I must go back and finish this out of principle at some point, because it's a solid game.
Ori and the Blind Forest - Started this with the gf and haven't gone back to it since. Didn't get very far but will no doubt go back to it at some point when she visits again. Really beautiful game.
South Park the Stick of Truth - Did not get very far with this at all but still loved every second. I'm a huge South Park fan, I just need to find the time to sit down and play the damn thing.
Assassin's Creed Black Flag - Do no understand the love for this game at all. It's so samey, in almost exactly the same way as the others. I feel like the only reason it gets a pass with people is simply because there aren't any other good pirate games out there. Otherwise it's just the same old, up its own arse, boring and repetitive AC game. Might give it another go just to give it a chance, but Ubisoft have done a good job in recent years of making me outright loathe all their games.
Undertale - Right near the end of this and just haven't had a chance to get back to it yet. Probably won't take long to finish when I'm off at Christmas.
The Walking Dead - Got about half way through. Tell Tale games don't really click with me that much though because there's so much illusion of choice.

I'm sure there's more that I've just forgotten about. There's certainly quite a few on console that I've started and then never gone back to, but the only real one I stand a chance of finishing is:

Bloodborne - Love it. Just can't handle the 30fps. It's also menacingly difficult. Even as someone who has put a combined 1000+ hours into the Dark Souls games, I still struggle with this game so much. I've put a lot of hours in already but am still nowhere near the end. Now I just play it in sporadic bursts every few weeks. I will beat it though.

That's a pretty monstrous list. It only ever seems to get bigger too.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Mantis wrote:Baldurs Gate 1 - About half way through, it's a bit old and clunky now and you can miss tons of content just by one randomly generating instead of another when you exit an area. But I did like it, and it's one of those that I feel like I have to finish in order to play Baldurs Gate 2 which I've been told is vastly better.

BG2 is my favourite game of all time, so I have two responses:

The rational response: BG1 is really good but BG2 is by most accounts vastly better (although I totally understand where people who prefer BG1 are coming from, because it's a much more traditional and open RPG). The games are aging, but they are absolutely worth your time and some perserverence. BG2 is not perfect. It is, however, the best realisation of RPG adventure I've so far experienced. It has the soul of adventure ingrained in it.

The emotional response: Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it! Finish BG1 and then play BG2. I wouldn't even say it's essential to finish BG1, save for one critical spoiler towards the end. I envy anybody who can experience it for the first time. I love everything about it and I can't possibly justify most of it, but it really is excellent. To me it's as culturally important as Star Wars.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:52 pm

I've organised my steam account into various categories, this has the most games in it

I've also got 40 games on GOG I haven't played, about a dozen on Origin and I can't remember what I have on Uplay or my login ¬_¬

To continue the theme of the thread, I'm another who didn't bother finishing Shadow of Mordor or Dark Souls and I played about seven hours of Rise of the Tomb Raider before giving up (too much rubbish combat)
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:40 pm

I did finish Shadow of Mordor. It was a slog though that second map with its utter slew of icons to sort through was almost heartbreaking. Skipped a load of it and blasted through to end which when it came was over very quick and not altogether satisfying. Wouldn't be in a rush to play a sequel let alone a replay.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:21 am

That's pretty much what I'm planning on doing. I 100% the first map and reached a point where I'd totally wiped out all the Orc captains after playing with the various mechanics that make them hold grudges against you, but the prospect of doing all that again coupled with even more dull little side missions isn't that appealing.

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group