What is going on this Xmas with disappointing sales

Steamz and moar.
Achtung Englander

What is going on this Xmas with disappointing sales

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi guys

I posted this on my work saleforce chatter today. It is regarding the worrying trend of sales data we are beginning to see for this Xmas. Any insight from this forum would be much appreciated. Btw - I work for NPD and you may have seen my name banded about in the press of late. PM for details if you are interested.

There is an analysis by Rob Fahey from Gamesindustry on the sudden decline in sales for AAA games this holiday. It started with Deus Ex Mankind Divided in Q3 and so far we have seen disappointing sales from Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare, Titanfall 2, Watch_Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2. It is not just lower than expected sale but an actual decline in sales compared to the previous games.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... -retailers

Fahey pins this down to the longevity of current games, but I don't buy it. Games have always been long for the last several years. Games released last year or this year have not got longer in game time than those released in 2014. I agree that it could cause part of the decline but I think the issue is a lot more nuanced.   

The reason could be multifaceted:
- More gamers are buying digital 
- More gamers are looking to buy new games when they hit price promotions
- More gamers are fed up with sequels (the fact that BF1 is NOT a modern or futuristic shooter but one set in WWI could classify it as a non-sequel game even thought it is part of a franchise)
- something more worrying - gamers are simply buying less because they are fed up with gaming. 

We will keep an eye on this but if the decline in physical is not offset by digital uptake and we are seeing a real decline, this could be worrying. 

More analysis here
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... mes-retail
Games playing : Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Warp

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Re: What is going on this Xmas with disappointing sales

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:58 pm

Might it just be that after so many supposedly AAA games releasing recently with performance/quality issues that gamers are just waiting for a few weeks/months down the line to see issues ironed out before deciding whether to splash the cash?
I personally think long and hard before I get a game on release day anymore.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Achtung Englander

Re: What is going on this Xmas with disappointing sales

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:38 pm

can we close this thread please - as there is another one similar. Thanks Dragon
Games playing : Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Warp

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group