ouTuber Nepenthez charged over video game gambling site

Steamz and moar.
Lee

ouTuber Nepenthez charged over video game gambling site

Postby Lee » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:49 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37385555

Two men have appeared in court charged with offences under the Gambling Act in what is believed to be the first prosecution involving betting on video games.
Craig Douglas and Dylan Rigby, who are both from Essex, are charged with promoting a lottery and advertising unlawful gambling.
Mr Douglas makes gaming videos on YouTube under the pseudonym Nepenthez.
He is also charged with inviting children to gamble.

Mr Douglas posts gaming videos on YouTube
The two men appeared at Birmingham Magistrates' Court. The case has been adjourned until 14 October.
The Gambling Commission, which brought the prosecution, has been looking into the rise of video game gambling.
It is warning parents that children can be drawn into betting on so-called skins - virtual goods such as weapons or clothes that are a feature of many popular games.
It has been estimated that the global market in betting on video games is worth as much as £4bn.

I recall this wasn't the only thing youtubers have done with these gambling sites. There was another two that got caught rigging one site and promoting it. Till someone found out they actually owned and operated the said site and were promoting it over Twitch/Youtube to their fans. They got banned from Twitch as well.

Steam also did a crack down and removed these gambling sites from having access to their database as well. which was a good move.

But christ an estimate $4billion per year market and what I know it's mostly done on CS:GO ](*,)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Subway Diet

Re: ouTuber Nepenthez charged over video game gambling site

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:22 am

These kinds of shenanigans seemed to pop up along side the rise of Free2Play and lootbox driven player economies. Yet another reason to shake ones head at the state of games these days.

Felt like a real garbage person that one time I put a fiver into Overwatch. It was simply playing a slot machine without actual prizes. Not the same thing, sure, but it's still shady shite.
End of an Era

eVoL

Re: ouTuber Nepenthez charged over video game gambling site

Postby eVoL » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:07 am

I don't mind tossing a few bucks into Dota because it's free and lots of play time. Clash Royale too... their micros are WAY overpriced but they did a deal pack for a pile of gold/gems/one chest for £8 and I thought "yeah I'll give you £8, I've easily had that amount of fun out of it". Overwatch though.... a full priced game and all you might get us 5 sprays? Fuck off! :p

I wonder where Evebet lands now. It used in game currency to bet on real life events. Slick too, won a few billion from them.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group