Digital Homicide Suing 100 Steam Users for 18 Million

Steamz and moar.
Lee

Digital Homicide Suing 100 Steam Users for 18 Million

Postby Lee » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Digital Homicide developer James Romine has been granted a subpoena order against Valve over the identities of 100 Steam users.

Romine, who filed the lengthy subpoena on September 12th, showed evidence that 100 different users on Steam who have made statements about the indie developer in the past. Romine, who collected numerous photographs of several Steam users speaking negatively about their products, is demanding $18,000,000 by these 100 Steam users in damages for “personal injury.” Judge Eileen Willett sided with Romine, granting him a subpoena for “early discovery” to uncover the Steam user’s identities.

The evidence presented included several scanned screenshots of Steam users accusing Digital Homicide for stealing assets for their games, as well as accusing the company as being “con artists” who “stalk and harass” anyone who voices their displeasure in them.

http://techraptor.net/content/digital-h ... 18-million

Oh man these guys just don't know when to quit :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Lee

Re: Digital Homicide Suing 100 Steam Users for 18 Million

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:09 am

And now Steam has removed all there games and won't be doing business with them

We reported earlier today that Digital Homicide is suing 100 Steam users for $18 million. In addition, they filed subpoena against Valve for information about the users in order to be able to pursue the matter. At the time of that report, Valve had taken no action on the matter, but it appears that reprieve has ended.

First spotted by Twitter user lashman (@RobotBrush), it appears that all of Digital Homicide’s games have been removed from Steam, and they are not listed as a developer on the storefront.

http://techraptor.net/content/digital-h ... oved-steam

Update: Valve has responded to our question, confirming that they did delist the games. This was what Doug Lombardi of Valve had to say:

"Valve has stopped doing business with Digital Homicide for being hostile to Steam customers."

Who didn't see that happening :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:55 am

Get bopped! :lol:

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:08 am

These the same guys who went after Jim Sterling for saying their games are shite?

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:21 am

Yep they are Animalmother but they still have a civil case going against him for $10m or $15m now :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:24 am

You done good Valve. You done good. After all the absolute nonsense that went on with Jim Sterling these guys deserve to be totally buried.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:17 am

And, of course, they're now posturing to try and sue Valve. A statement was made on their website, but I'm not linking to it.

For a summery. - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1280358

I can't tell if this guy is delusional or trying (and failing) some kind of long con. A fascinating meltdown, either way. :-k

Don't get me wrong, dickheads on the internet talking death threats is a very poor show. But these guys turning around desperate to start suing people after having sent Jim Sterling "We know where you live!" messages is just... :roll:

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:29 pm

:lol:

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:08 am

Case withdrawn:

Digital Homicide, the maker of games including The Slaughtering Grounds, ET: The Extra-Large Testicle, and Not In My Crapper, recently made the astounding decision to sue 100 anonymous Steam users for $18 million over nasty comments they'd made about the studio's work. In response, Valve removed all of the studio's games from Steam, prompting Digital Homicide to threaten legal action against it as well. But last week it requested that the lawsuit be dismissed, because it can no longer afford to pursue it.

"Upon filing this case, per advice of the local sheriff who could not help me or my business with a massive ARS-13-2921 criminal harassment problem on an Internet Store front and via email, The Plaintiffs business was destroyed completely financially disabling The Plaintiff, destroying usability of all current work effort, and untold other damages," the filing says. It seeks one of two options: A refund of the court filing fee and dismissal of the case without prejudice, or, if the filing fee is non-refundable, a 90-day extension on the action, presumably to give Digital Homicide time to scrape a few bucks together so it can continue the fight.

Digital Homicide co-founder James Romine Jr. told Techraptor that he believes the case is "solid," but the removal of the games from Steam crippled the studio financially. In fact, not only is the lawsuit withdrawn (or paused), but Digital Homicide itself is apparently now defunct.

"[Digital Homicide is] destroyed. It's been stomped into the ground from a thousand directions and use is discontinued," he said. "I’m going back into the workforce and watching what’s really going on. Not gaming media gossip—the real stories are in the legal documents. Not talking about mine."

Nonetheless, it's possible that the action could be resurrected at some point, in part or in whole: A dismissal without prejudice leaves the door open for Romine to re-file the lawsuit in the future. I've reached out to the studio for more information, including whether the request for a refund/dismissal or extension have been granted, and will update if and when I receive a reply.

http://www.pcgamer.com/digital-homicide ... destroyed/

So, they effectively destroyed their own studio by pulling all this bullshit. Digital Suicide, more like, amirite?
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:09 pm

From what I've heard, this is only the Valve thing they've dropped?
They're still chasing after Jim Sterling, the litigious idiots.

Either way, they'll be back under a different name in no time. There's no way they'll let this go with any dignity. :P

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:16 pm

Oh aye they'll do some slight stealing of someones studio name, little editing of the colours and be back up in steam doing it all again :P

Back to pumping out a game a month with cards to trade to cash in on the market for them. Amazing they were making so much cash off the bloody cards and not the games :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Apparently they've had to drop the Jim Sterling thing as well. I think its mentioned in the video below somewhere.

Silly wankers, but they did get a ton of publicity out of it and people are often curious enough to see what exactly the fuss was about and buy their games.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 pm

I feel sorry for the people who worked there, but it still astonishes me that they think they can sue folks for saying their games are crap. At the end of the day, its opinion and in the good ol USA, they tend to value opinion and freedom of speech highly. Which is why its hard to sue people for slander etc over there.

If you deliver something to the public, who then pay money for it. They have a right to say its crap, if they believe it to be.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:07 pm

People who worked there? I thought it was just two brothers running the whole thing out of their basement?

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Mantis wrote:People who worked there? I thought it was just two brothers running the whole thing out of their basement?

Oh was it? I just assumed it was a small studio of folks. Didn't realise it was just the two of them. In that case......fuck em. :lol:
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group