Pokemon GO!

Steamz and moar.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Pokemon GO!

Postby Snowy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:37 pm

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:38 am

The developers have finally made a statement after they removed third party app access to the game and other features.

Trainers, as many of you know, we recently made some changes to Pokémon GO.
We have removed the '3-step' display in order to improve upon the underlying design. The original feature, although enjoyed by many, was also confusing and did not meet our underlying product goals. We will keep you posted as we strive to improve this feature.
We have limited access by third-party services which were interfering with our ability to maintain quality of service for our users and to bring Pokémon GO to users around the world. The large number of users has made the roll-out of Pokémon GO around the world an... interesting... challenge. And we aren't done yet! Yes, Brazil, we want to bring the game to you (and many other countries where it is not yet available).
We have read your posts and emails and we hear the frustration from folks in places where we haven't launched yet, and from those of you who miss these features. We want you to know that we have been working crazy hours to keep the game running as we continue to launch globally. If you haven't heard us Tweeting much it's because we've been heads down working on the game. But we'll do our best going forward to keep you posted on what's going on.
Be safe, be nice to your fellow trainers, and keep on exploring.
The Pokémon GO team

I would say that if they really cared about giving the players a game that works properly they would stop rolling out the game in more territories and instead focus on fixing the game. They are clearly more interested in capitalising on the fad than making the game better.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:02 am

Makes perfect sense to me - keep the wave of hype rolling, that is what will make them the big bucks. For a development house to have created something that has become global news is not something that will happen to them twice - the CEO will be wanting to maximise the value of the company before selling it for insane mega-money to a global corporation.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:20 pm

It makes business sense in the short term sure, but it's not good customer service. It also perhaps shows a lack of belief in the quality/longevity of the product that they feel the need to make as much money up front as possible. But then it is a phone game and that market is extremely fadish.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:34 pm

It's made the game piss poor to play though to the extent that I wouldn't be surprised if it started hemorrhaging players. Without any third party app or guidance in game it is now impossible to tell how far away any Pokemon are. It's very frustrating to see a rare Gyarados silhouette on the nearby tab only for it to be completely impossible to locate. The third party apps brought a little extra to the community because people would gather together when they saw a rare was in the area, and it made it easier for those of us who can't dedicate entire days to hunting to actually pick up the odd decent creature. It had next to no effect on their revenue streams either, as dropping money on lures and incense never brings in the super rare spawns anyway. I find it really obnoxious when developers make comments like "This isn't a very fun way to play". Seriously, fuck right off, it's not your position to tell people what is and isn't fun just because you made the game. Clearly a lot of people found it fun to play in such a way because the apps attracted millions of hits a day. Not having a clue where any nearby Pokemon are is certainly not fun.

It seems to me that they just want to cash in as much as possible at this point. There are theories that the recent patch has made it harder to catch anything at all in order to force you to spend real cash on Pokeballs because you can never get enough from the stops. I've certainly noticed a difference but that may also be because I hit level 20 and things get harder from that point on anyway. But I've had less than 100 CP ultra common Pokemon take at least 6 or 7 balls to capture when they used to take 1, and sometimes they even run away entirely. The throwing animation has certainly been changed at the very least.

Coupled with dodgy GPS issues that keep kicking me out of gym battles mid-fight, this whole game is slowly starting to turn a bit sour for me. Which is a shame as I'd just spent enough time grinding away the levels to have a half decent team.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:36 am

Yea it was making a million per day I heard so they might have well did all of this to get more before the bubble bursts on it.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:49 am

Niantic are claiming that their is a bug in the game that is currently effecting the accuracy of throws, increases the likelihood of Pokemon escaping and failing to give bonus XP, so that might explain why you are suddenly finding it harder to catch Pokemon Mantis.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:41 am

So Pokemon Go itself might not be raising Nintendo's revenues that much, but sales in the UK of the 3DS are up 220% and Pokemon games occupy 10 slots in the top 50. Pre-orders for Sun and Moon are also up. Not a bad little boost for Nintendo.

Previous

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group