Microsoft Promise Windows Store Improvements

Steamz and moar.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Microsoft Promise Windows Store Improvements

Postby Mantis » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Didn't they already try something similar when Windows 8 launched? That's why Gabe Newell warned against it and started to promote the idea of a Linux based OS and why Steam OS was made.

It failed with Windows 8 because the OS itself was a sham and never took off. Now that they've launched a more solid Windows 10 and had a little more success they're going to try it again. I don't think Tim Sweeney would speak out so publicly if it wasn't a clear and present danger as Epic have always had a good relation with Microsoft.

It won't just happen overnight. It'll be a case of little changes here and there so people more readily accept them. In a similar vein as how DLC has become so prolific; they'll push it each time to see what else they can get away with. Now people pay £50 for a season pass up front with no clue of what will be in it. Death by a thousand cuts.

It's one of the reasons I'm holding off on Windows 10. Until their motives are revealed and the future is more certain I just won't support them.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Microsoft will never be able to totally lock down Windows because they need stuff like Steam and other third party software to make the PC seem attractive. To do an Apple would just be so self-defeating.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:51 pm

That is my thinking as well

If Microsoft go down this path - then fuck them - I might as well give up gaming as a hobby and do something else
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:41 pm

EG haven't been favourable with the Gears launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... iver-on-pc

Funny how the exact same thing happened when they launched the original PC version.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:26 pm

very good summary here - a bit long but still fascinating history

Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue May 10, 2016 2:01 pm

Later today, Windows 10 will be updated with two key new features:

Support for AMD’s FreesyncTM and NVIDIA’s G-SYNC™ in Universal Windows Platform games and apps
Unlocked frame rate for Universal Windows Platform (UWP) games and apps

Once applications take advantage of these new features, you will be able to play your UWP games with unlocked frame rates. We expect Gears of War: UE and Forza Motorsport 6: Apex to lead the way by adding this support in the very near future.

This OS update will be gradually rolled out to all machines.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/direct ... d=24319396
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue May 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Now they just need to sort their ports out so that they can actually maintain an FPS above 30 without nuking your GPU and we'll be golden.

Previous

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group