Lets Play- Renowned Explorers

Steamz and moar.
DjchunKfunK

Lets Play- Renowned Explorers

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:39 am

Welcome to my new Lets Play. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this one.

So a little bit about the game. The goal is to become the top explorer by the end of the time limit which is set at a certain number of in-game days. To do this you need to gain renown by exploring areas and coming back with Treasures. The gameplay itself combines FTL and turn-based combat.

So with that out of the way meet my first team!

We have from left to right Molly Jones, our captain Yvonne Lefevre and Agatha von Brunswick.

Our first move is to the south where it looks like there could be some supplies.

Soon after that we have our first battle when we encounter some wolves in a clearing. You have three ways of fighting enemies. You can either go with a direct attack, which we do with Molly, or you can use Devious means which involves Agatha giving some stern words to one wolf and Yvonne belittling another. The idea is that you either use the mode at which your team is strongest at, in this case Devious, or you can use the form of fighting that the opponent is weakest against. So Devious is good against Aggressive, Aggressive against Friendly and Friendly against Devious.

This mechanic is probably more important later in the game when the encounters are a bit harder.

This time we go for a Devious victory which gives us a few bonuses to Molly for the remainder of the exploration.

Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Lets Play- Renowned Explorers

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:40 am

Next we head to an area with a smelly bog. It looks like there could be some treasure here, but we need to choose the right person to investigate. Molly is up for it, but she doesn't really have the requisite skillset. Yvonne says she is not going anywhere near the bog so it is left to my archaeological expert, Agatha, to investigate. She comes back a little bit smellier, but also with a herbivorous dinosaur skull.

In our next encounter we meet some more wolves and I send Yvonne and Agatha in to taunt them.

With the completion of that encounter my team has levelled up. I decide to give Molly the Athletic perk to help buff her attack and defence skills. Agatha gets the Archaeological perk Symbolism which boosts her Speech Power and Speech Defence and for Yvonne I go with the Rogue perk Mischief which boosts Grit(evade) and her Attack Power. They also get a new skill each which I will be able to use in the next encounter.

With supplies running low it is time to head for the Druidic Circle.

However disaster, we have been beaten to it by the insufferable Rivaleux!

It's time to fight for the right to claim the Menhir.

Agatha busts out her new Lecture skill which causes two mobsters to run off and leads to an easy victory.

However whilst fighting Rivaleux has managed to nab the Menhir for himself. However all is not lost as a friendly Druid appears before us and complements us on our fighting skills and then rewards us with a Baryonyx Claw, so the trip hasn't been a total bust.

Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:41 am

Thus ends our very first expedition.

We return to the Explorers' Society were we are rewarded with +3 to our supply count and given the following rank.

There is still a long way to go, but I'm sure we can reach the top and beat Rivaleux.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:28 am

Looks fun.

Dammit, Dj. Bought. >.<
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:47 am

:D

EDIT: for anyone else who wants to buy it if you have Reus you get a 25% discount, if not get it from GOG as you get a £2 credit with it.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Expedition number 2. Off we go to a Hungarian Fort.

Molly scouts for some food and manages to find some

We meet some fine Hungarian men, replete with splendid moustaches. Unfortunately Yvonne manages to annoy them by mentioning that she doesn't actually like moustaches.

At our next location we are jumped by bandits! Time to defend ourselves.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:29 pm

We are running low on supplies. Thankfully we stumble across a rather nice hut and a not too firendly old woman. Somebody needs to butter her up if we are going to get the rest we need. Come on Yvonne I know you can do it. Sadly she doesn't believe a word Yvonne is saying and shuts the door in our faces.

After dealing with bandits, now it is cultists who have come across our path. We could just leave them be, but Yvonne is adamant that there is something interesting in the graves they guard.

We have completely run out of supplies and now our team has lost some of its resolve as well. Thankfully the Hungarian fort is in sight.

What has been rather a bodged expedition ends in complete failure when Yvonne and Agatha are knocked out of the fight with the cultists who are defending the fort. Along with them goes our last two points of resolve.

Yvonne is chased away from the Hungarian fort and with nothing to take back to the Explorers Club her adventures are over.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:37 pm

Yay! A new one.

I've been jonesing pretty hard after the Civ one collapsed. Nice one Dj!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:09 am

Away for the next two days, but will have a new adventure to post on Sunday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:31 am

Are you doing the Caribbean one next, Dj? The boss of that is an utter bastard. I'd actually recommend the Scottish Highlands one, it was hilarious.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:05 am

The adventures you get are randomised so I'm not sure if I will have the same choices as you.

Anyway meet my new team of explorers. Kiwi Paakariki, our Captain Victor Signac and Phillipe Bensoussan.

Our first destination is Saxon King Egbert's burial site located someone in England. First up we manage to find some fresh supplies which should help us to explore the area a bit more.

Next we come across a strange mine which appears to contain a room the miners used for gambling. Phillipe's superior observational skills allow us to find a safe full of money and we take it, along with the other items in the cave.

Moving on from the mine we come across a cave which contains a number of old weapons that we can sell once we get back to the Explorer's Club. Just on from where we find the cave we come across a huge castle. No doubt great treasures are located within.

So the castle turned out to be a bit of a maze. We were looking for the Royal Bed Chamber when we fell down a trapdoor and got completely lost. After what seemed like many hours of opening random doors we finally came across the Royal Playroom and located within was a remarkable golden statue.

Buoyed by our success in the castle we finally approach our ultimate goal, the burial site.

[img]
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X_mO ... -03-99.jpg[/img]

Well wouldn't you just know it, look who got here first, old stinky breeches himself Riverlaux. He sets his goons on us led by a guy called Tommy.

It's a tough fight, but we manage to come through it and impressed by our fighting prowess Tommy gives us Riverlaux's check-list which lists the places he will be heading to next. Maybe this time we can get the jump on him. Of the places available we decide to head to the tomb.

Again using Phillipe's superior observational skills we come across a beautiful and rather old Saxon sword. In your face Riverlaux!

Despite the setback at the burial mound we return from our first trip together with two antiques. Also just look at all that gold we have collected.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:16 am

The layout of each map is randomised, but the boss encounters and general overall tone of an expedition (which is what made the Scottish Highlands great imo) will be the same each time.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:42 am

I meant the choices you get as to which mission you go for.

I went with Hungry for my second mission and got defeated again. I'm not really sure whether this is just a difficult mission or I'm not doing something right.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:49 am

You get the same missions offered each playthrough, one downside of this game is there's (currently) a really limited selection of expeditions. You should get the Scottish Highlands (3-star) after completing either Hungary or the Caribbean.

Hungary is a bit of a bastard, though had a harder time second time round funnily enough. According to the devs it favours a devious crew, while this time I've gone for a friendlier setup and had to do the boss battles in Hungary a few times each to beat them.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:54 am

Are you not playing on adventure mode then?

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group