Lets Play- Civ V

Steamz and moar.
DjchunKfunK

Lets Play- Civ V

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:52 pm

Welcome to my first Lets Play on Preys-World. I thought I would do one during the summer lull we have to give people something to read on here. :)

I will be starting out as Henry Morgan of the clan Buccaneers on an archepelogo map and I will be using a variety of modded civilizations so expect a load of Civs you haven't seen before. On top of that I will be using a few other mods such as one that slows down research so units don't become obsolete so quickly and another that allows the spread of your borders to be a bit quicker.

So with the introductions out of the way lets get on with the show!
Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Lets Play- Civ V

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:54 pm

I found my capital city, Port Royal, in a pretty good spot. I have access to the sea and a good supply of luxuries and food. From here I should be able to build a good base of operations. I send my Warrior unit north to explore the area a bit.

Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:02 pm

After a bit of exploration I found my second city Tortuga in 2830BC. I have discovered a few Barbarian camps to the west which I will deal with shortly as it will give me a nice boost in gold due to one of the traits of the Buccaneers being that they get gold for every unit killed. I also set about fast-racking my research to sailing so that I can get some Triremes up and running asap, something which is obviously important when you are on an archipelago map.

After a bit more exploration I discover that I am on a fairly large landmass which should help me to expand fairly quickly without needing to research Optics. This will allow me to go back and get some of the other technologies first. I also build an Axeman to join my newly acquired Spearman and take out the Barbarian camps to the North and West.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:13 pm

2360BC and I have built my first Trireme, time to set sail and explore my immediate vicinity. Meanwhile my northern campaign against the Barbarians is not without casualties. Just as we are about to take the second camp a detachment of Archers breaks out of the camp and picks off my sorely injured Axemen, who have just destroyed the camp, before they can retreat out of range. Fair the well brave soldiers, you efforts in eradicating the northern menace will not be forgotten. The remaining detachment of Spearmen beat a hasty retreat before they too can be picked off.

2100BC we found our third city. Nassau is based on the east coast and looks like it may provide the empire with horseman. We also change our name to the Buccaneer Republic after all are not all buccaneers equal?

2060BC. Following hot on the heels of Nassau we form our fourth city, Puerto Cabello. Situated to the north in the barren desert it will be a tough life for those who choose to make it their home, but no doubt the sea will prove bountiful and with various mineral deposits it will no doubt prove invaluable to the empire.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:23 pm

NIce one. Looking forward to more Dj.

Good job!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:31 pm

1970BC My sailors have been scouring the globe and have happened upon our first civilization to the west. Ashoka of Mauryan seems friendly enough and with just the two cities so far he doesn't seem to pose much of a threat, despite his claims. Ordinarily I would prefer not to allow an embassy to be formed in my capital this early on, but I am currently running a budget deficit so accept his offer of 1 Gold per turn in return for setting up an embassy.

1770BC and I fear we have grown too fast. My citizens are unhappy and consequently production falls and Tortuga and Puerto Cabello have stopped growing. I must make haste and set my scientists to research the Calendar so I can get access to the bountiful supply of spices within my domain and improve the lot of my citizens.

1450BC We meet our second civilization in the form of Bismarck of Germany. One of his ships docks at Puerto Cabello and brings good tidings from the German Republic.

1390BC The glorious Buccaneer Republic has built the Great Lighthouse in Port Royal. This should help to cement our dominance of the sea.

1280BC My citizens now have access to spices and low their was great rejoicing! I'm not quite sure why this makes them so happy, maybe they are a form of narcotic and help them to forget the travails of life.

Next up on my to-do list, fix the economy!
Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:37 pm

Medicine Man wrote:NIce one. Looking forward to more Dj.

Good job!

Thanks mate.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Yeah, didn't reply as didn't know if that would be a faux pas or not, but enjoying this, thanks Dj.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:15 am

1190BC We found a new religion. All hail Mithrasim! Mithra it seems is the good of happiness and wealth so we get a boost to gold for every city that has Mithrasim as its religion and Gardens provide us with happiness. The adoption of a new religion sorts my economic issues. Who knew religion could be so popular.

Along with our new religion we decide to change the name of our government again from Buccaneer Republic to The Republic of Buccaneers. It sounds a bit more catchy if you ask me. On the diplomatic front I decide to accept an offer of friendship from Bismarck and we meet Akbar of the Mughal Republic and Chief Tiridates III of Armenia. They both want to found an embassy with me, but I decline. Armenia only has one city and after a few turns I am suddenly asked to declare war on the Mughals. I think I need to keep an eye on him, he is obviously a tricky character.

890BC As my Trirene sales along the frozen south, dodging icebergs, it meets a party of Americans who bid me welcome and good tidings from their leader Washington.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:25 am

870BC Petit-Grove is found. It is our first city founded outside our home island. Despite there being a large amount of room to grow to in our homeland, I wish to start forging trade links and to do so I need to have a city nearer to my prospective trade partners. So it makes sense to spread out to a new island. The island is also rich in furs which will come in handy when exploring the more inhospitable parts of the globe.

860BC We have completed work on our second wonder the Pyramids. Again it is built in Port Royal which is far and away my most prosperous city, fitting as it is my capital after all. The construction of the Pyramids frees up a number of workers who I send north to improve the transport links between my cities.

810BC My intrepid Trireme has once again happened across another civilisaton, this time it is the Byzantines and their leader Theodora. She showers me with gifts and I accept her offer of friendship.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:45 am

440BC I have spent the last number of years consolidating my empire and exploring the globe, but I have yet to come across any more civilizations until a strange ship is spied off the coast of Puerto Carbello. It is King David of Israel who bids me good tidings and much like every other civilisation in the game immediately want to found an embassy in my capital. No thanks Davie boy, do your own discovering. I also found another city on the second island, the city of Leogane. With my empire spread across two lands now I decide to give them both names. The homeland will henceforth be known as Pirate Island with our sister island called Yo Ho Ho Island. Got to keep up the pirate theme.

270BC My intrepid explorers have finally stumbled across the home of the Germans. It seems that their architects are not of the highest quality as they appear to have built Stonehenge in the sea! Maybe I should offer my good friend Bismarck some help in this regard, after all we have completed the Pyramids.

200BC Washington offers to exchange embassies for 1g per turn. As I have yet to find where the Americans are based I feel that it is in my interest to accept. Besides who doesn't like a bit of extra gold.

170BC We have entered the Medieval Age. All hail the Buccaneering Scientists for we are the first civilisation to do so. Yes I've taken a few shortcuts here and there and missed out some of the basic techs, but I am within touching distance of discovering the Compass which will allow my ships to take to the ocean.

As of this point here is the current state of the Republic of Buccaneers. When my scientists do unlock the power of the Compass I need to decide whether I wish to use the power to start pressuring some of my neighboring civs, or whether I wish to follow a truly altruistic path and go for a cultural victory.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:35 pm

30BC Come across the land of the Japanese and meet their leader Oda Nobunaga. They don't appear to be that developed a nation with very small cities. I also take the decision to focus on the spread of Mithrasim due to the fact that doing so will boost the amount of gold I receive. To that end I start construction of the Great Mosque of Djenne in Nassau and the Borobudun(which will give me three free missionaries) in Port Royal.

30AD To the west there has been another Barbarian uprising near the city state of Kyzyl. I decide to send my troops to help, partly to gain favour with Kyzyl, but also because they haven't seen action in a while and I feel they have lost a bit of their edge. So to keep them in fighting shape I march them west.

90AD My intrepid explorers come across another new civilisation to the north west. This time it is King Asha of Songhal. He looks very menacing in his portrait, but his actual kingdom doesn't look like something that I need to be concerned about.

At the same time to the south east we come across the homeland of the Americans. Now these guys look like they do need to be kept under watch. They have the biggest cities I have encountered so far outside my own domain and from the shore my sailors notice a lot of troop activity, including a giant catapult.

130AD Sailing west from America one of my cartographers realises that this part of the world has already been mapped. To my amazement it appears that the world is not flat as was originally thought!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:06 pm

140AD My scientists come to me with word that they have finally cracked the code for developing the Compass. At last I have access to ships with which I can bombard my enemies! Maybe it is time to test my forces against more worthy foes. I decide to bolster my naval force by getting a number of my cities to produce Galleass.

210AD We found our first new city in over 600 years. Campeche is founded on the far side of the Great Parrot Desert of Pirate Island. With the foundation of the city I finally have a base from which I can carry out trade negotiations. I immediately prepare a trade envoy to send to Pataliputra in the Kingdom of Mauryan.

260AD The 2nd Western Barbarian War is over. My troops managed to make short work of the barbarian menace, despite their rustiness. Because we managed to rid the island of the barbarian hordes Kyzyl is now our ally.

320AD A new Prophet is born in Port Royal and I use him to help enhance the state religion of Mithraism by adding Just War(20% Combat Strength against cities with the same religion) and Divine Inspiration(Each Wonder adds +2 to Faith) to the religion. With these new traits it now behooves me to spread Mithraism beyond my borders.

383AD With the completion of Borobudam in Port Royal I have access to three Missionaries. I send them out to proselytize to the heathens of Shahjahabad in Mughul and Pataliputra in Mauryan. The final Missionary heads for Tortuga and then on to Nassau to ensure both cities adhere to the one true faith.

384AD The Oracle is completed in Tortuga. This is the first time a wonder has been completed outside the capital.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:22 pm

Is this game like Eve where it sounds more interesting when people talk about it than it actually it to play?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:19 am

No it's good fun to play as well. Have you never played a Civ game?

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group