Crunch Time

Steamz and moar.
DjchunKfunK

Crunch Time

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 18, 2015 8:13 am

An interesting article on the prevalence of Crunch within the industry and why it can occur even when developers are trying to avoid it.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/05/15/crun ... sane-hours
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Edwin
the cunt

Re: Crunch Time

Postby Edwin » Tue May 19, 2015 7:35 am

I remember the EA article from a few years ago, I still think the solution would be to unionise.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Wrathbone

Re: Crunch Time

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 19, 2015 12:26 pm

It will continue as long as developers allow themselves to do it. It's never easy to say no in that situation or walk away from a job entirely, but that's the only way it will stop. I don't think it's fair to argue that it's impossible for some people to walk away from any job in the current economic climate, since game development crunch has been around for decades. While crunch is seen as a possibility - or worse, an expectation - game dev managers will continue to rely on it.

Crunch is not universal in software development - most software houses these days realise that realistic goals, sensible allocation of time and resources and reasonable work hours result in better products. Overtime should be reserved for exceptional circumstances, and any overtime more than the odd hour or two should be paid. My boss occasionally asks if I optionally want to do paid overtime, which is great, and it's due to good management and the fact that mandatory unpaid overtime is not part of our business culture. Game developers seem to have the completely opposite business model: shoot for the stars, miss because you don't have enough resources, then enter panic mode to try and get anything viable ready in time. This is horrendous software management and a vitriolic development culture. I'd rather default on my mortgage and go on the dole while looking for another job than work in such a ridiculous environment.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group