Steam *REMOVING* paid Mod Support - UPDATED

Steamz and moar.
Medicine Man

Steam *REMOVING* paid Mod Support - UPDATED

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:07 pm

You can now sell your workshop creations starting wiuth Skyrim...

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

Time to rake in the hot dough for that high-res horse vagina action.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/16509/

Edwin
the cunt

Re: Steam News & Updates Thread

Postby Edwin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:54 pm

Every paid mod looks like a rip off. 50p for a shit looking sword that doesn't even fit in Skyrim's theme?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Yeah this needs to die a death right now.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Modders put in a lot of work. They deserve to be able to make a little cash from it.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Apparently one of the paid mods uses scripts from a free mod created by a different person. Copyright claims will kill this I think. You could always donate money to modders you like ¬_¬

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:07 pm

eVoL wrote:Modders put in a lot of work. They deserve to be able to make a little cash from it.

No one started modding to make money, it's for the love of the game. That is about to end with this stupid idea.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Yeah, bet most of the mods on sale now are nicked versions someone else made.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Also, the majority of shit currently on the Skyrim page is just retextured weapons going for anywhere between 40p and £2. It's ridiculous. Put in an option on Steam for people to donate to modders if they want, but allowing the modders the opportunity to set their own prices is pure insanity. Also, they only get 25% of the money anyway, the rest gets split between Valve and the publisher. So the publishers are going to be able to cash in on releasing broken games and making additional profit off modders who charge for various updates and fixes. And modders are going to be lazy and stick up any old shit then set a ridiculous price because they feel that they're entitled to cash for it.

It's basically third party DLC. This is the single worst idea ever.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:20 pm

You just dont buy it then. I dont see the problem. Decent mods will make money and bubble up along side big boob mods but none of these will ever have any effect on what Skyrim is so what difference does it make? This is exactly the basis for the new UT and thats great! More incentive for mods to be great again. Come on Boxwars2!
Gibby wrote:
eVoL wrote:Modders put in a lot of work. They deserve to be able to make a little cash from it.

No one started modding to make money, it's for the love of the game. That is about to end with this stupid idea.

No, most modders try and use it to get noticed and hired. Countless mods end because the guys got a job with a dev. The only reason modders havent been making money so far is they couldnt.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:26 pm

It's just another step towards everything being locked behind paywalls. Not everything needs to be monetised. There's already 'early access' mods on the Steam page for christs sake. It's far too exploitable. Modders are under absolutely no obligation to fix their shit if they release something which is broken or which later becomes outdated in an official game patch. There is ZERO accountability. The fact that Valve and Bethesda are splitting 75% of the share of the profits for doing absolutely nothing only makes it worse.

Yes there's the plus points on every side of an argument. But this is poison pure and simple.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:46 pm

There can still be free mods if the creator wants that. Paywalls are there because shit isn't free, it's another point of the entitlement thing folk have going for them where they deserve everything for nothing because they are awesome. Music has no value anymore, movies and TV are seen as free perks of being in a connected society and gamers think that just because they bought a game at launch they deserve everything produced for that game going on. Shit takes effort, effort should be rewarded. Just don't be an idiot or buy early access anything and you're fine.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:16 pm

With there being so little regulation, this doesn't take much effort. You could reskin something and have it on sale in less than a day, unless Steam has a strong vetting process (and it doesn't) the workshop will be flooded with Russians selling stolen mods.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:13 am

I don't have an issue with people charging money for mods per say. However the split in money and the lack of regulation here is terrible. If you buy two mods and one doesn't work with the other the makers are under no obligation to fix the issue or give you a refund.

The best mods will obviously float to the top but there will still be people out their exploiting this as it is really easy to do so and that makes the whole system bad. Valve should have put more safeguards in than they have.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:28 am

Also, can't mods get broken when a game gets updated to a new version? What then?

I end up taking half the mods I installed on Skyrim out because they made it run like shit, under this model I'd have been left seriously out of pocket.
My face is tired.

Scrappy

Re: Steam Adds Paid Mod Support

Postby Scrappy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:01 am

I don't mind this when it's something a bit more solid. Black Mesa? I'd gladly pay for that. Complete overhaul mods, or two + hour expansions done by mod makers? I'd pay for that. Shitty swords that no one else will see apart from me? Pass.

There's also 0 support once 24 hours is up, and if the developer can't be arsed making it work, you've wasted money. Steam get 75% of the money, too.

Horrible system.

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group