Steam *REMOVING* paid Mod Support - UPDATED

Steamz and moar.
Vykromod

Re: Steam Adds Paid Mod Support

Postby Vykromod » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:38 am

A lot of the mods for Bethesda games end up building on each other. There are direct cases where a big mod is actually a pack of things all tweaked to work together, in which case the ownership isn't clear. Then there are cases where one mod requires another to work, so buying an armour pack would require a body replacer for your character as well, or buying a visual overhaul needs some textures from another mod, lighting effects from a third, and the inevitable script extender so something fancy can be done.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:43 am

Well that didn't take long. Someone has had their paid mod pulled because they used someone else's work in it without their permission.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... een-pulled
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:20 pm

Vykromod wrote:A lot of the mods for Bethesda games end up building on each other. There are direct cases where a big mod is actually a pack of things all tweaked to work together, in which case the ownership isn't clear. Then there are cases where one mod requires another to work, so buying an armour pack would require a body replacer for your character as well, or buying a visual overhaul needs some textures from another mod, lighting effects from a third, and the inevitable script extender so something fancy can be done.

Thats now, with money on the line folk might start making 100% original and complete works. When doing it just for fun its easier just to build on someone elses work.

This is going to be an interesting few years as this rolls out. The return of the TC perhaps. I think it might be too late in Skyrims life to see a huge impact here though except maybe extra polish on the Morrowind mod which from the look of it, the guys deserve a few quid..... if Bethesda let them.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Fair point and I should have thought of that. I had another point that I dropped for the same reason, assuming people might be a little bit professional once cash is involved.

I agree it's going to be interesting to see what develops once the legal clusterfuck gets sorted.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Steam News & Updates Thread

Postby Snowy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:00 pm

Mantis wrote:It's just another step towards everything being locked behind paywalls. Not everything needs to be monetised. There's already 'early access' mods on the Steam page for christs sake. It's far too exploitable. Modders are under absolutely no obligation to fix their shit if they release something which is broken or which later becomes outdated in an official game patch. There is ZERO accountability. The fact that Valve and Bethesda are splitting 75% of the share of the profits for doing absolutely nothing only makes it worse.

Yes there's the plus points on every side of an argument. But this is poison pure and simple.

Amen, brother.

Shitty rip-off DLC from devs is bad enough, now every Edwin and their wife gets to play at it.

Vile vile vile. I am surprised and disappointed by Valve.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:35 pm

:roll:

"I shouldn't have to pay for anything because I'm wonderful!"

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:03 pm

It works both ways though, just because you made something and put it up on the internet doesn't mean you're entitled to charge people for it.

Nearly 50,000 signatures in less than a day, impressive.
https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-t ... m-workshop

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:29 pm

Ooh a petition, those have had great success in the past. :D

Don't forget mod creators can still choose to release their work for free, no one is forcing mods to have a price tag on them. I would imagine that the majority of mods will still be free in the future.

I'm sure the market will auto-correct this itself anyway.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:32 am

Mantis wrote:It works both ways though, just because you made something and put it up on the internet doesn't mean you're entitled to charge people for it.

Nearly 50,000 signatures in less than a day, impressive.
https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-t ... m-workshop

You're entitled to charge for whateve yoh want, it's the buyers duty to not be an idiot. There will be good mods and bad mod just like there's good games/movie/films/soups/crisps/holidays/prostitutes/cars/TVs and bad whatisaid.

Mods dried up after UT2k4, proper widespread ambitious mods are now a tiny niche. This can bring the, back. That's awesome.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:24 am

I notice you can filter by paid and free mods though, so that's something. Means you can just ignore all the paid stuff.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:16 am

Medicine Man wrote:Time to rake in the hot dough for that high-res horse pickle jar action.

Ahem..

Pickle jar?! When did that happen? Come on its a biological term you can say it on the radio for christsakes. :lol:

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:20 pm

The situation seems to be getting worse.

https://twitter.com/Tom16K/status/591608540734849025

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/04/24/skyr ... ontroversy

The end of that Kotaku article gives credit to Valve for trying this, but I have to say if you are going to do this then the system should have been far more robust. It isn't good enough to just say "Valve will get it right eventually, remember what Steam was like at launch" At some point they need to be releasing stuff that actually works, not that is just a total mess at the start. Valve are a much bigger company than they were back when Steam launched, they should be making a better fist of this stuff from the off.
Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:27 pm

eVoL wrote::roll:

"I shouldn't have to pay for anything because I'm wonderful!"

That isn't what I am saying at all.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:29 pm

I'd... uh... I'd fix that typo Dj :shock:
Last edited by Sly Boots on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Wow, thanks :)

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group