Nvidia Grid

Steamz and moar.
DjchunKfunK

Nvidia Grid

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:33 am

Nvidia have announced that they are getting into the game streaming business with the launch of a streaming service called Nvidia Grid. The service will launch in May and will stream top-tier titles at 1080p and 60fps. They promise that top titles will hit the service day and date with their release dates.

The service will have 50 games at launch and will offer two subscription services: free and premium(no pricing was mentioned). You can also buy games ala carte.

As with all streaming services they claim that the latency is super low. "If you have a fairly good Internet connection, I can get a response from a computer based in Oregon in 150 milliseconds. That's half the blink of an eye." They streamed a variety of games including Grid 2 and new titles like Resident Evil: Revelations 2, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, and The Witcher 3 all of which they claimed were from data centres miles away.

At the same time they showed off the new Nvidia Shield which unlike the previous shield is actually a console which they claim is the first 4k Android system. It supports 4K decoded video at 60hz, runs via Nvidia's own Terga X1 chip which they claim has twice the power of the Xbox 360 with half of the power consumption.

The system will launch in May at $199 and will come with a gaming controller.

It seems streaming is suddenly all the rage what with this and Valve's Steam Link. It will be interesting to see how the streaming system fairs. As for the Android console, I fail to see the appeal, but then I guess I am not the target market.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group