Crytek on Verge of Bankruptcy?

Steamz and moar.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Crytek on Verge of Bankruptcy?

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Yes. :)
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:39 pm

good...just checking =D>
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:06 pm

He was just seeing if he could get a ryse out of anyone with that joke.

¬_¬

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Yep, they're a far cry from the developer they used to be.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:03 pm

But it's not a crysis for me.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Tank

Postby Tank » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:43 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... o-shanghai

Ryse 2 has been canned. I can't imagine many shedding a tear over that but news is news.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:10 am

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/crytek_halted_working_on_homefront_the_revolution.html

After the many bactruptcy rumors now there are reports that Crytek's UK studio has stopped working on Homefront: The Revolution as its employees have not been paid yet. New developments point to more trouble ahead. Over the past two days, Journalists have spoken with four people connected to Crytek's UK studio, which is currently developing Homefront: The Revolution.

According to those people, Crytek's UK staff have still not been paid the full amounts they are owed, and this week, according to two sources, the staff at Crytek's UK office handed in formal grievance letters and went home.

One person familiar with the studio estimates that around 100 people have left, though it's unclear how many people plan to leave permanently and how many would like to stay with Crytek UK, which has been consistently losing staff for the past few months.

Rumor around the studio is that Crytek and Homefront publisher Deep Silver are currently negotiating over what will happen next. Employees at Crytek UK, which is based in Nottingham, are hoping that Deep Silver will purchase the studio and continue funding development of Homefront: The Revolution, according to two people connected to the company.

So that's it for Homefront 2 then.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Tank

Postby Tank » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Did any one really care?

I mean the (not actual)gameplay footage from E3 wasn't that memorable.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:14 am

I think it was the idea of owning the IP that appealed to Crytek. Why ?. No idea. They would have been better off trying something new. Doing a MW clone was never a good idea unless you brought something really new and appealing.

I would be interested in knowing how they lost so much money. The number of bankruptcies from studios is kind of depressing. Is it bad management ?. Is it the cost of game developers ?. Is it from being too ambitious and not planning right ?
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 am

By all accounts they bought and expanded (in new studios across the globe) way to fast after getting the deal with EA which brought in some money. Then the stuff they went into development in each of their new studios has been pretty much ignored all across.
I also think they hired someone for the expansion ideas who is a bit of a dipshit and had no actual experience of being in that field and hence more haemorrhaging of cash.
Their only 'success' is Warface which only took off in Russia and is free to play. That isn't likely to be bringing in any money for it's time in development I reckon.

I mean having 900 odd staff for a company that was making only a few games since that EA deal is bonkers in itself.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 am

In the end it is probably a bit of both. The fact that they talked up how they were moving away from traditional big budget titles and after the last Crysis were only ever going to do FTP games and then suddenly announced a load of retail products again, shows that whoever was in control didn't have a firm idea of what they were supposed to be doing as a company. When you add in the fact that making big budget games is very expensive and every game needs to hit, then you can see how they might have haemorrhaged money so quickly.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:26 am

Ideas above station. Especially since theyve done feck all that mattered since Crysis 1. They should have used the Timesplitters ip instead of Rise and cashed in on the name. The horribly over rated name.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:16 pm

Evol hates popular thing shocker!
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:10 am

No he's right about TImesplitters. That series was average at best.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 am

I enjoyed the first Timesplitters game on the PS2? Think I even have it stashed along some other games with the machine on my shelves.

But more damning news follows

According to Kotaku sources, Homefront: The Revolution game director Hasit Zala resigned from his position at Crytek UK this week.

"It creates a weird scenario as there are now no upper management," said a person connected to Crytek UK. "Everything is just continuing on a downwards spiral." Crytek UK development manager Ben Harris also left the studio this month, and there are reports that many more employees have quit the company, or are at least actively searching for new jobs

From http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -Crytek-UK
Formerly MrAnnoyed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group