Random Lesser Game News Talk & Stuff

Steamz and moar.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Random lesser game news talk and stuff....

Postby Snowy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 am

So - Banished then.

I have been clinging to life by my finger-ends as manflu ravaged me over the last couple of days, and was looking at this thinking it sounded lovely. Then I read the RPS review which basically describes it as a punishment and frustration simulator. Then I even listened to TB for once, and kinda dug it again but still had reservations. Then I read a comment on the Steam forums which said to avoid Quill18's Let's Play series as they basically gave you all the information you needed to play the game and there was no challenge any more.

So.

From people I trust - what's it like?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:08 am

The only take away tip from the Quill videos was (early year food production spoilers!)

Spoiler: show
build a Hunter, Forester and Gatherer in a secluded corner and they'll provide plenty of food and useful materials for the first few years, until you can set up a farming system to support larger settlements.
End of an Era

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:34 am

As for the RPS piece, Snowy, Alec Meer is one of the gaming journalists I tend to disagree with most frequently. I still remember the drubbing he gave the Witcher seemingly because he was unable to grasp key game mechanics (the combat, in that case).

I think it's a bit the same for Banished. It's certainly challenging if you don't spend a bit of time, and are willing to accept a few early failures, learning its foibles. My post on the last page is a case in point. Yesterday, I went back to an earlier save, focused on maxing out my food and fuel production before expanding accommodation or building a school, and I'm swimming in resources, having to build lots more warehouses to stash everything in. Slow expansion is key.

He also moans about not being told about villagers dying. A few seconds of searching revealed that, actually, yes there is - it's a clickable option on the same message window he screenshots in his review. This is what gave me that Witchery feeling again.

Honestly, I feel like £15 is a lot, though. I don't know how much time I will spend on it, it's a pleasant diversion but the lack of quests, missions, antagonists or anything except a purely sandbox experience is what would stop me recommending it wholeheartedly. I feel it may be better suited to a price drop or upcoming sale.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks for that mate, I wondered the same. Meer gave it a real kicking and I also remember the Witcher review, hence looking around. TB looked to have more love for it, but there were still elements of his review that resonated with the RPS piece.

I think the 'wait for the sales' option is the way I will go - it is an indie title so I probably won't have to wait very long.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 am

Yeah, that Alec Meer review is a bit strange. He seemed to go into it desperately wanting a casual city builder he can pick up and play, and threw his toys out the pram when the game revealed itself to be more complex than that.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Anyone who does want to get Banished, you can grab it from the Humble Bundle store for just £12.49.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 pm

I'm really liking Banished. it's very slow, small and hard but there's something about it I'm very much enjoying. Going into Winter with low food and having people slowly dying off is heart wrenching but very much exciting at the same time. Everytime I know I've fucked up I can;'t wait for everyone to die so I can start building a new town with a new layout, hopefully solving the problems of the last village. I've just entered Year 4 of my second town and things are going well. I just built a Quarry, my farming is going very well, and I'm about to open the towns first Church.

I like it. Not sure how well it'll hold up after a couple of weeks of play, but the first four hours have been delightful.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:05 pm

I've got one in year 20 with 50 people, still don't actually need farming yet. I set the weather to fair which made it alot easier. Started again on hard, in the mountains with shit weather. Every fucker died the moment winter hit, it was snowing in sprint too so I don't think farming will be possible at all.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:32 am

Someone has made a mod for Grim Fandango which removes the tank controls and replaces them with classic point and click ones.

Download here
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:25 am

Excellent. Thanks for that Dj. Gotta love people with too much time on their hands. Well people that use it wisely anyway.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:40 pm

I didn't mind the tank controls, Manny would look at interactive stuff when you got close so you didn't have to suffer the "fun" of clicking everything like in most adventure games.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:37 am

This game contains literally everything wrong with indie games.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/270310
"Dominique Pamplemousse in “It’s All Over Once The Fat Lady Sings!” is a unique and offbeat stop motion animated detective adventure game about gender and the economy. Also, all the characters frequently burst into song."

FUCK

YOU
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 am

At least it's not a steampunk pixel art rouge-like.
End of an Era

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Bet the girl who made it is fat and/or really fat.

EDIT: And also a bully victim, that too.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:02 pm

From the people who brought you the well loved and critically acclaimed classics Sniper: Ghost Warrior 1&2, Alien Rage and Farm Frenzy comes a FPS based on actual war atrocities committed in during the Nazi invasion of Poland.

I don't know about you, but I can't see how this might go wrong.

#-o

In all seriousness, I don't think video games are quite ready to go all Schindler's List just yet. Especially not in the hands of a developer known for making notoriously crap budget titles.
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group