Random Lesser Game News Talk & Stuff

Steamz and moar.
Subway Diet

Re: Random Lesser Game News Talk & Stuff

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:30 pm

"certain issues"

I'd take someone feeling their way though how to be a more considerate person than the "Straight White Boys Only Club" mentality.

Speaking of which, that's probably why the game is going to sell a fair bit on steam. Enough lads who've been "red pilled" into buying into this pick-up artist bullshit.

Edit: Wow. Top of the page. Sorry.
End of an Era

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Subway Diet wrote:"certain issues"

I'd take someone feeling their way though how to be a more considerate person than the "Straight White Boys Only Club" mentality.

Well, forgive me for looking to abbreviate for the sake of brevity rather than individually specify every single subject matter, of which there are many, that has left Mr Walker wailing and gnashing his teeth. If you're even halfway familiar with his oeuvre then I think it's fairly obvious his militancy goes beyond just being a "considerate person". It just so happens he's bang-on in this instance.

Subway Diet wrote:I'd take someone feeling their way though how to be a more considerate person than the "Straight White Boys Only Club" mentality.

And I'm choosing to believe this is referring to a section of the gaming media rather than me specifically, otherwise I have no words.
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:20 pm

That's a bit of accusatory hyperbole, don't you think? Johnny Walker, that villain!

I'd save terms like militant that for the goons who go about brigading and harassing. And I mean proper harassing. Not simply saying "I don't think this representation is very good", or some other mild criticism that gets blown out into this bogey man coming to ruin games. The "Death threats and doxing because this person is a minority" types.

Sly Boots wrote:And I'm choosing to believe this is referring to a section of the gaming media rather than me specifically, otherwise I have no words.
Yeah, that, along a rather vocal group of the gaming scene, is the correct read. Sorry about that.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:35 pm

John Walker is a sanctimonious arse though. He can't handle things not being made to be inclusive for everybody to the extent that he ripped Hyper Light Drifter to shreds because it was too hard for him. Likewise with Dark Souls, he felt entitled to a 'skip boss button' because he felt like they should have catered to people who don't like a challenge. He has zero respect for games as an actual art form or the individual vision of a developer.

Just because his keyboard warrior mentality happens to put him in good stead when tackling more serious issues like this doesn't change the fact that he's a bit of an odious creep.

In this instance I support him though. Pickup culture is utterly vile and it pains me that people think this game is a piece of satire. Watch some Street Attraction on YouTube and you'll see that people who support this subculture are completely earnest in their beliefs.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:52 pm

For what it's worth, I maintain Dark Souls should have an easy mode. ¬_¬

<Leaves quickly>
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Whew.

Any point in going further down the road with this one? I'll yield.

I'll leave restating my initial issue: It was less concerned with Walker himself, and more with how dismissive people seemed with the issues he chose to champion. That certain issues within are, indeed, worthy of some hand wringing over. :lol:
(Also apologies again to Sly for making it seem like I was going all in on you. That was meant for the nebulous fog of bad behavior and bad attitudes that stanks up gaming on a whole.)

Right, Off before I get called an odious creep as well.
End of an Era

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:39 pm

No problem Subby :)

I think we're mostly all of a pretty liberal mindset on here and so I don't think anyone would reasonably argue that issues surrounding gender, orientation, diversity and inclusion aren't worthy of championing... however I think I and others would say that Walker has a tendency to see some issues where there are none, or none are intended, as Mantis describes.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm

That's exactly what I meant. And it's when they see issues where none exist, or blow something tiny into a huge controversy, whilst acting like they are on some unshakable moral high ground that winds me up the most. Walker is rather guilty of that.

It is irrelevant in this instance though, as I think this game and its developer probably deserves all the flak he's getting.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:13 pm

It's such an egregiously stupid narrow minded game that it doesn't need JW coming along to nuke it from orbit :)

If anything him going nuclear is giving it advertising.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Does anyone remember Little Britain The Video Game? I just watched this overly long video of it where they discuss how terrible and offensive Little Britain was (I finally feel vindicated, because it was always shit) while playing what is apparently a very rare, unknown and terrible game. I had no idea how obscure this game was, I used to work at Music Magpie and they had dozens of copies of this bollocks dotted around the warehouse. This was five years ago, so maybe Little Britain hadn't become offensive yet.

Skip the first five minutes if you want to watch some game play
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:50 pm

I've tried a few times to post my thoughts on it but always deleted the results so take it as it is.

Who really cares if they release a game like this? I am no fan of PUA and think of them as the scum of the earth but I tend to see the various graphic novels all over the place as nearly the same. I don't go on some lenghty tirade against said games I don't like I just prefer to respond with my wallet in what I do buy.

Trying to censor such stuff off from steam has never really worked has it, look at Hatred. And just if you didn't know there was female devs suppoesdly that worked on this game as well. Not saying that means it's okay but you know it's just a game. And you have to be some feeble minded eegit to think it's real and will work in real life etc.

Something I can say and Jez touched on it that it's giving it a hell of a lot of promotion. When will these idiots learn #-o

End of the day it is escapism for whatever you want it to be in game form.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 am

Should just leave it well enough alone but, for whatever it's worth, let it be known that I disagree with Lee's rundown of the daft excuse checklist.
End of an Era

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:41 am

That's fine, I just don't feel strongly in either way about the game.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 am

Yahtzee covered this in this week's Zero Punctuation, but when I went to check it out I found probably the most inadvertently hilarious Steam store page (seriously, just read the 'About this game' section):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72339 ... e_Freeman/

:lol:

Oh dear.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:51 am

Have seen a few video on youtube ripping into it, did he cover the sudden differences in the mic quality between characters :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group