Random Lesser Game News Talk & Stuff

Steamz and moar.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Random Lesser Game News Talk & Stuff

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:52 am

Lee wrote:Have seen a few video on youtube ripping into it, did he cover the sudden differences in the mic quality between characters :lol:

Yes!
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:17 pm

Zero punctuation is still a thing?! Wow. That's some impressive longevity right there. At least a 8.5 on the longevity scale. Playability on the other hand...

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Pixeljunk Monsters 2 has a demo out now on Steam...

steam://install/794590

EDIT: It's disappointingly shite. Basically an empty hub world that's completely closed off to you and one level that's more or less the first level from the first game, only now with a jump, an over-the-shoulder Gears of War perspective and teh physics!!11!one1

Played the first one with the wee man instead. Much better.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:06 pm

ArenaNet writer fired for making offensive comments to a perfectly reasonable piece of criticism from a fan of their games, plays the gender card and has RPS leap to her defense.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... no-warning

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... he-wolves/

Anyone else followed this at all? It is absolutely ridiculous how much of a chip on her shoulder the woman has, and RPS' article above is an absolutely brilliant example of why I hate that site with such a passion.

Anybody with any sense whatsoever should be able to see that this was not another case of gender discrimination; and that if you're going to respond on a public forum, to criticism over a public post you made, whilst representing the company you work for, by calling someone an 'asshat', then you pretty much deserve to be fired.

She was also one of the few to take to Twitter to celebrate the death of Total Biscuit. What a fucking class act that woman is. Not.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:51 pm

I have to disagree. She was wrong to respond using the language she did, but Areannet were also wrong to fire her for it. She hadn't been spoken to about her behaviour on social media before and you also need to take into consideration how women developers are generally treated on Twitter when looking at her reaction. To fire someone without a warning for something like this is wrong. It's bad working practice and sends the wrong signal to the community.

Arenanet are basically saying if you are harassed on Twitter just keep quiet and suck it up, because if you don't we are going to fire you.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:03 pm

She wasn't harassed on Twitter though. She posted a link to an article she'd written about character development, which a community Youtuber who's affiliated with ArenaNet then politely disagreed with, setting out a variety of reasons. She accused him of 'mansplaining' and called him an asshat.

The precedent for women being abused online does not ever give you an excuse to be hostile to someone who just happens to disagree with you. Her behaviour was pure toxic. If I verbally abused someone whilst having a discussion about my work I would likely be fired too.

ArenaNet also said that if any of their staff suffer actual abuse over social media that they can approach the company for support. It's not a simple case of 'keep quiet and suck it up'.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:13 pm

I must admit that when I read the RPS piece yesterday I did feel a weird disconnect between the facts as they were being presented and their editorialising of it. One thing if the guy who responded to her originally was abusive or patronising, but that seems to have absolutely not been the case, in fact seems to have gone out of his way to seem reasonable.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:12 pm

I didn't reference the guy in relation to her being abused, I was talking in general how women devs are abused. From her response she references how this has happened before.

Other things that should have been taken into account. It's her own account on her own time. Different to if it had been an official account or at work itself.

The major difference between her getting sacked and your belief that you would be sacked if you had done it at work is you are probably not constantly subjected to abuse. You do not have to work in an industry where your work is treated differently due to your sex.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:50 pm

So the fact that she's experienced abusive language in the past excuses her being terrible to someone online? I don't think so.

And the fact that it's her own Twitter account is irrelevant. She's got ArenaNet employee listed on the bio for it. There's a reason that companies do not like anyone outside of their PR teams dealing with their customers, because image is everything in this day and age, especially for very public facing companies like game developers. When you put ArenaNet on your profile, regardless of whether it's your personal account, you are now representing that company. Probably advisable not to go on diatribes about men on there, and definitely don't start slagging off your customers.

And again, the fact that I haven't been subjected to abuse for my work (which I have actually, but not because I'm woman, and I also don't let it negatively affect the next person I deal with) does not excuse her actions. It didn't work for Adam Orth either when he insulted someone on Twitter when he had Microsoft under his bio, and he didn't even have "being an oppressed woman" as an excuse for being a vile shit.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Been watching it unfold myself Mantis. What a vile piece of shit she was.

Guy was partner of ArenaNet does a ton of youtube videos on the game. Even has praise her work for the community and found her stuff enjoyable/engaging so wanted to discuss it and she went full asshole. Sprouting the usual crap hoping it would work.

Loving the games media doing what they do best, close ranks and ignore evidence and sprout an alternative narrative. Anyone spot the red flag when showing the twitter pic from her highlighting what the guy had said to her?

And they wonder why they have less people visiting their sites and trusting their reviews/articles. Young Yea is a far better source for gaming related news.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:13 pm

I see that the Tropico publishers Kalypso have acquired the rights to Pyro's old Commandos games...

https://www.kalypsomedia.com/uk/blog/de ... rticle/139

What with Nordic's recent update to Desparados and the excellent Shadow Tactics by Mimimi, the future of real-time tactics looks relatively rosy.

Despite Kalypso having churned out some less than stellar titles in the past I still remain hopeful that Commandos can come back as strong as ever.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:54 am

Urgh. RPS' new design is fucking horrible...
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 am

Same goes for most of their content ;)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Agreed. Pretty horrific looking now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:07 pm

It's basically the Eurogamer redesign with a slight RPS twist from what I can see.

Previous

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group