Assetto Corsa

Steamz and moar.
Mogster

Re: Assetto Corsa

Postby Mogster » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:07 pm

First DLC is out with 3 laser scanned Nordschleife layouts. Saying this is apparently the work of 1 guy this is truly impressive. I was expecting the usual posts you get on sim forums about missing details but so far nothing...

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Announced for PS4 and XBone...

Due in 2016

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:00 pm

What's considered the better sim, this or Project Cars?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:14 am

This, for sure. Both have their merits and negatives but overall AC seems like and feels like a much, much better experience. CHeal will be able to give you a better overall experience of PC as I've only got 8 hours or so on it, and 60 or so in AC. I'm biased to AC as it's the most fun I've had racing.

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:56 am

I don't have PCars to compare but with a decent wheel ACs driving experience is the closest to real life I've found in a video game. With other driving sims I've always felt to a degree I was learning the game physics while with AC finally real work driving techniques just work.There are a lot of road cars in AC and if you fit the road tyres to the less exotic stuff then you suddenly start to see how well Kunos's physics compare to real life. I find the driving incredibly addictive, I've learned to H&T gearshift in AC, no other driving sim even inspired me to plug my gear shift into my G25... Another thing I find engaging is that the FFB and wheel setup requires very little tweaking, it just works with a little gain adjustment for every car out if the box which I find amazing.

That said I think it's important to point out that currently AC is just a driving simulator. There's not a lot of features here to simulate real world racing so I find it hard to refer to AC as a racing sim as Kunos do. Career mode is very basic and you still can't perform a pit stop in SP, there are no rolling starts implemented. The AI still needs work, they have problems with overtaking each other in mixed events.

I'm not sure what the GT and Forza crowd will make of AC in its current state. PCars has sold a million copies on console so it seems there is a market outside those titles. From the RSR leaderboard stats most seem to drive AC with a wheel where on console Kunos will be selling to 90% pad users, although apparently AC works well with a pad it really shines with a wheel.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:31 am

PC ars :lol:

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Quietman wrote:What's considered the better sim, this or Project Cars?

rFactor 2. F1 teams use the base simulation system employed by the rFactor series. Almost all motorsports teams use their system, so without a doubt this is your safest bet for being the most realistic.

From years of watching people argue, here is my assesment:
iRacing: Good simulation with some oddities. Feels good. Is very expensive but for online is leagues ahead of every other game. No AI. Good deal of content.

rFactor 2: Best simulation by a good margin but not as easy to mod as the previous game. Still building up momentum in terms of content. Very much what you make of it. AI?

AC: Feels great. Great for just driving. If you want that driving experience it's very good. Apparently not a super realistic simulation (some cars have setups that are technically impossible in the real life car) but possibly the best FFB which produces that great driving experience. Crap AI. Passable Netcode, but improving. Reasonable amount of content.

pcars: Best "Game" by a long way. Good simulation but not always completely accurate. Technically simulates as much or more than the competition but that =/= better simulation. Passable AI. Good AI (with a lot of lobbies still it seems). A lot of content, but not always very good content imo. Much more game to be had, while still being a competent simulation. Setting up FFB to get the best results can be difficult though.

I've only played pcars, so the other comments are based on reading others opinions. AC fans like to piss on pcars and vice versa. iRacing is sort of out on it's own because it's very expensive and requires a bit more commitment to get the most of it. rFactor fans basically shit on everything else. But rFactor is more difficult to get going with because it's heavily dependent on mods and the community.

Any is pretty good and has their pros and cons.

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Every simulation software has issues with physics in certain situations, even multi million pound commercial set ups.

I've not heard about the unrealistic set up thing with AC too much, although it was a big issue in older sims like GTR2. There has been an update a few months ago that corrected issues with low set ups not grounding on the terrain as they should, you can't run unrealistically low now. IRacing fans like to bring up the blow over thing that apparently IRracing models, hardcore RFactor fans drone on about visual tyre flex. I was sold initially by videos of AC's road cars riding bumps, kerbs and stuff it models that sort of suspension and chassis movement amazingly well. The road cars are easilly the highlight of AC for me, I hope we'll see more road cars and historic stuff but the race car crowd are very vocal.

One of AC's strength is its SDK and mod scene, there really is a huge ammount of scratch made content now. The content from the dev's being supplemented by mods is a huge plus, a couple of mod cars have been added as official content.

AC forrest rally mod

It's great that there is this level of choice available in the driving sim genre, I wish the flight sim genre was this lively :cry:

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Shit looks real. :shock:

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:27 pm

The last week or so has seen a free DLC car and track pack.

Cars Added

Audi Quattro
Toyota GT86
Lamborghini Miura
Nissan GTR
Alfa Romeo Mito

Tracks

Zandvoort

The main feature update is much improved AI. The AI really is 100% better, they fight with each other and the player, pass slower cars and make reasonable mistakes making the convincingly human opponents. The AI before 1.2 was seriously broken, it's a real pity this AI couldn't have been released with 1.0. Zandvoort is a nice addittion, narrow, bumpy and challenging it brings out the best in the physics engine.

http://youtu.be/IijX4qR2zpU

Previous

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group