Kerbal Space Program - 1.0 We Have Liftoff!

Steamz and moar.
Me
He's so not aard

Kerbal Space Program - 1.0 We Have Liftoff!

Postby Me » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Kerbal Space Program, send silly little Kerbals into space on giant rockets of doom!

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Cool game, a rockets and try and get it into orbit, or to the Mun or another planet, all with very realistic physics. Although saying that it's very easy to build a multi stage rocket that drops off used fuel pods and engines and shit. You can build simple or very complex rockets, then knock out space stations and bases on other worlds. You can ever try space planes and the like.

Here's a Scottish Astrophysicist giving a guide on building a couple rockets and getting them into orbit

Getting into space isn't that hard, but getting to the Mun is a bit tricky since you can't just aim at the moon and burn off after it, you need to get into a big orbit of Kerbal and intercept your obit with the moon etc. It's map does show you your projected orbit at all times to its simple enough to do if you know how, although easy enough to fuck it up and fly out into space to die and cold and loney death, or miss and slam back into kerbal and die that way. You will kill alot of Kerbals, but thats life!

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Kerbals in Space!

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Chris Livingston (of Living in Oblivion fame) did a great article on this a couple of months back, very amusing, will see if I can dig it out.

As for the game, sounds interesting. Maybe a bit pricey at the moment though.

Article:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/10/sim-p ... scientist/

All his Sim-plicity articles are excellent actually, well worth a read.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 am

This game is a load of fun, I picked it up a couple of weeks back and have never had so many laughs at failing to get off the ground!

You quickly get past the stage of making things that go boom instead of whoosh though, and before long you are gauging success on altitude reached, and before you know it you have sent a small pod of Kerbals clear of the gravitational pull of home, off into the stars. Never to return. Oh well, you can't have everything!

I have also achieved a Mun landing. Hmmm. OK well maybe 'landing' is a bit of a misnomer. Let me see...I have managed to launch a missile with Kerbals sat in the warhead (or 'control pod' as I called it to tempt them) that had so much rocket-y grunt I was able to fire them on a direct line into the Mun itself. Orbits are for girls! The space around Kerbin, the home planet, is littered with debris, many pieces of which still contain their astronauts spinning through the ether.

I have done the tutorials about getting into orbit, broadening or narrowing it, switching orbits etc, but can't really remember the details. I could YouTube it, but I think for now I am going to just keep making the biggest, silliest and most structurally unlikely spacegoing monstrosities that I can, and see what I can achieve.

My next objective is to launch a Kerbal-manned rocket into the Sun :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 am

I almost landed one on the Mun, but I fucked up the descent by burning too much fuel. They hit the ground at 60m/s still travelling sideways ¬_¬

Orbits are simple Snowy, full burn forwards at the AP point on map to increase it and full burn reverse at the PE point to shrink it. I've never contemplated just full burning towards to Mun before, that must take loads of power and fuel :shock:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:01 am

I have made some INSANE rockets mate :D

They tend to be the biggest I can build of the huge orange fuel tanks with the Mainsail rocket attached, my orbiter mounted atop it. Then comes stage 2, four symmetical rockets about half the length of the original, then 4 more massive ones sticking up like the towers of the Taj Mahal attached to the additional four, then 4-8 MORE mid size ones attached to those! I then go crazy with the structural beams to pin the whole mess together, making something ugly but that will hold together at a pinch (mostly). Then stick some wings on the various rockets for stability (and to look kewl).

Then is is just a matter of staging the rockets - full power on the outside 8 to launch being careful of the amount of heat you are putting out, then the next two rings of rockets once the outer ones burn out, then the final monster central one for when you are free of Kerbin's gravity. And a dollop of luck. A few dollops actually, the rocket doesn't always hold together :)

What elements do you use to eject spent rockets? The stage separators are fine (the central tube ones) but I want to ping my spent rockets that I have attached off the sides. Any suggestions?

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 am

There's side separators, look like small rectangle and they blow rockets off the sides, work the same as the tube ones. You can even add tiny solidfuel rockets to the side to power them away after you blow them off.

You tried the Nuclear engine? It's shit at lift but it's the most efficient drive you can use and its quite powerful once in space. Makes the fuel last alot longer. Can't lift itself off the ground alone though.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Will try them - I think I tried them before but they didn't really seem to attach the parts, leading to a lengthy build only to have the whole shebang fall to pieces in a huge fireball as soon as gravity was applied on the launchpad.

This is why my rockets tend to look like a spider on LSD has been working on them, with strands of girder-web all over the place.

Also, you managed to make a space-plane yet? I have had a couple goes, but can't seem to build any fuel into the bloody thing!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Made a couple but they careered off the runway at launch ¬_¬

Some of the fuselages don't carry fuel so check on that, plus jet engines need an air intake added or they won't work.

There's two type of side separators, one has some little struts on that hold the part further away, you could try that?

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:54 pm

I manage to get to space all the time. It's getting to the Mun that's the problem. Can't seem to make it and even if I did i doubt I could land.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 am

I generally take the stock heavy-duty lander from the loadable templates, then attach it to a rocket. My hope (vain or otherwise) is that I can get one of them to the Mun and successfully land it.

So - the separators. Played a little last night, and they do not seem to attach to other modules. I used the ones on a little girder type arrangement only to have the whole shooting match fall to bits on the launchpad. Then I used a hardpoint, attached a separator to it - same result. I then used a hardpoint attached to a separator attached to a hardpoint - same result. Tried attaching girders, all sorts, to try and pin it together, but no joy. Am at a bit of a loss with them to be honest - may just attach the whole damn thing together with a single rocket-level separator on the lander, and just stage the rocketry order.

My current lunatic setup is a single huge rocket with the nuclear engine, flanked by four more huge rockets with Mainsail engines, flanked by eight more slimmer rockets with smaller engines and some of the mini rockets just for fun.

If I can get the bastard to stand unaided, and actually get it off the ground, it could be a winner :D

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:01 am

Weird, I've never had an issue with the side separators, maybe its so large you need a 2 or 3 to hold each rocket on?

Also snowy, you can use the red scaffolding thingy to hold the rocket up until blast off, just attach several of them to bits of your rocket.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:13 pm

Used a separator on each element of the rocket right the way up, and three sets of four of the stabilisers - made no difference.

I will probably just do my usual approach of spiderwebbing it with the connecting beams short term, but would like to get to grips with the separators. I have the devils own job getting any fuel tanks to even connect to the damn things with any regularity.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 pm

Ooh, I think a little dabbling here may be in order!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu May 02, 2013 7:28 am

Hmmm, well the downloads from that site did approximately nothing, and I seem to now be unable to build any rocket that doesn't comedy explode on the launchpad, or get into the air only to wobble around like a bunch of sausages secured with cable-ties until the ship shakes itself apart.

Hum.

Back to the drawing board!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu May 02, 2013 11:52 am

Learn how to orbit and you'll only need a single rocket with the 3 fuel take thingy ¬_¬

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group