Oculus Rift, Vive and VR in Gaming

Steamz and moar.
Rusty

Re: Oculus Rift, Vive and VR in Gaming

Postby Rusty » Sat May 26, 2018 10:27 am

I get all goose pimply reliving the heady days of discovering VR vicariously through you :)

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat May 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Whew. Yeah.
This is going to take some getting accustomed to.

Managed to freak my body out by trying to remember the layout of my room. Was shaky enough to start with, but the brain finally lost it when I started touching things that I couldn't "see".

Feeling like crap aside, even a few minutes in VR was pretty damn amazing. Even if so far all I'm just trying to get acclimatised in some bland room, the sense of being somewhere else is amazing.

Now, I'll you'll excuse me, going to spend the rest of the afternoon sweating out this motion sickness. Will try again later.
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat May 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Yeah I haven't touched on that too much.

Skyrim in VR with 'locomotion' almost had me projectile vomiting within seconds, just can't do that. Teleporting it is then!

Assetto Corsa looks incredible, being able to look around while driving makes for a far more natural experience. But not for long, as tail-sliding a Lamborghini around the paddock complex at Silverstone while remaining stationary does nothing for my guys.

Elite is not too bad yet but not put in any kind of extended session.

The worst thing I find is when I take the headset off. My spatial awareness is fucked, and I find myself struggling to do silly things like picking up my vape. Hard to explain, but it is like my hand thinks that the item is further away than it actually is. I have to give myself about 20 mins from using VR before I slip back into normal comprehension of space and distance. Very odd and initially quite disconcerting.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat May 26, 2018 2:44 pm

I've been pretty lucky when it comes to vr sickness, in that I haven't really had any, at least not during normal use. Occasionally the software I'm using loses the positional tracking so moving my head forwards doesn't alter the view at all (I still get the rotational tracking) which does cause a very brief moment of disorientation, but as soon as I realise what's happened it becomes normal. I guess being able to see through the nose gap helps; I still know my head is moving even if my view isn't changing as my brain expects it to.

The biggest problem I've had has been one of my two sensors disconnecting from my PC and screwing up the tracking momentarily. It happens quite frequently (as in every few minutes) when playing DCS, which is probably the most system-intensive (read: terribly optimised, but then the game engine is over a decade old) VR game I've tried. I don't know whether it's because I have too many USB devices plugged in or whether the sensor itself is faulty.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat May 26, 2018 6:34 pm

Been playing about more today, getting my VR legs about me. After surviving the Nvidia Funhouse without my head and/or stomach giving out, I felt confident enough to pick up Super Hot VR.

Fuuuuck!
I don't think a game has made me feel so cool in all my life. 8)
End of an Era

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat May 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Don't push too far in VR. As soon as you feel a tiny bit nauseous stop. It's not something you can walk off in VR. Small and often :)

I can do all sorts of cool things in Skyrim without feeling bad now. Jumping of cliffs and falling...smooth locomotion etc

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Nausea is why I liked Trackmania VR so much. It has you looking forward on the track at the jumps and loops with a “oh fuck you, you are not going to make me do that in VR!!”.

Great hearing more people getting Superhot because I don’t think any game has made me grin till my cheeks hurt. It’s just the best. You what one of the most amazing things to me in VR was? Your controller is on the ground/couch/wherever. You don’t have any visual representation of where your hand is yet from pure special awareness you are able to pick up the real life controller accurately just from it’s in visor representation. It’s somettinh so small yet it’s the best showing of how good the tech is.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat May 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Yeah I have only dipped a virtual toe into Superhot VR, but fuck me what a game. Is there anything quite like mashing an ashtray into the face of your initial opponent, grabbing his uzi, and letting rip?

If you answer 'Yes' to the question above, you are a fucking liar. Unless you are referring to ripping the head off a cyborg in robo recall and using it as a powered up bowling ball on another cyborg intent on shooting you in the balls.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun May 27, 2018 2:12 pm

If you have it...apparently Subnautica is also amazing with VR.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun May 27, 2018 4:58 pm

I bought Superhot two weeks ago with the credit given after the Oculus fuckup a few months back, haven't gotten around to playing yet (it's much too warm to spend any time in a headset for me, especially one I imagine to be fairly intense). Pretty much everyone seems to have the same opinion of it though.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 pm

It is superb, and actually not too mental to play compared to a lot of other action-oriented titles. Because you have to be careful when and how much you move, you spend a lot of time assessing where the threats are coming from rather than leaping about like a tit.

It can be very funny when you have someone coming in with fists or a knife when you have taken out the gun-toting opponents already - I tend to lean back from them with one 'fist' partially extended, just twisting my wrist in circles to keep time moving until they are close enough to lean forward and sucker-punch 8)

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon May 28, 2018 2:40 am

I loved getting a feel for a level and trying to do it in almost real time. Makes you feel like a right badass when you’re managing a mallet of frying pan to the face destruction.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu May 31, 2018 11:57 am

Yes I know what you mean - I am currently stuck on a level where the final vignette sees you unarmed in a room with three armed opponents. I have got the preceding steps down pat and do it in real-time, it is just that last section that they always catch me on. Having a minimal IRL play-area does not help me as I can't step in to biff one of them and nab his shootah.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:33 pm

Just noticed the full Budget Cuts is out, anyone getting it? I think I need to buy a headset again.....

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:35 am

My brother showed up with a code for Fallout 4 VR he got for cheap off eBay. It seems really cool, but I don't know if either of us the constitution to play an epic like that just yet.

Also noticed that both Fallout 4 and Gorn feature elevators. Not sure if it's something I'll get accustomed to, but being on moving platforms feels terrible.
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group