Oculus Rift, Vive and VR in Gaming

Steamz and moar.
Lee

Re: Oculus Rift, Vive and VR in Gaming

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:33 am

He did. Yea no the short of image you would have gotten from him. Haven't read up on it all still but was there much details on the NDA broken or was the it the typical American don't work or do this for such and such period after moving to another job bullshit?

Also SuperBunnyHop did a nice video on VR about the lack on research into the VR motion sickness still after all this time.

But again Resident Evill 7 seems to have really improved it for a lot of people. Good to see that! Now can they stop doing stupid gimicky VR games for the most part and get on with making say Stalker into VR ... GO on ... pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:43 am

Best Buy are closing 200 of their 500 Oculus stations in their stores in the US. Oculus are saying that it is just a seasonal thing, but staff say that the demand just isn't there. To be fair to Oculus they did ramp up the number of stations leading up to Christmas so there may be some truth in what they are saying.

Numbers for last year are in as well with the Rift bringing up the rear with 355,000 units, then Vive with 420,000 and PSVR with 750,000 which is good going considering it only launched in October. The lower price obviously helps.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:40 pm

Yep the price is what is putting off most from trying to get either on pc. Also extremely hard to justify the cost for say one game I would honestly get something out of it in use.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Same here. It'll get cheaper if they want it to survive. At least in the short to medium term.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:38 am

Valve is making three "full" VR games

"Right now we're building three VR games," Valve founder Gabe Newell confirmed to Eurogamer during a media roundtable at the studio's Bellevue, Washington office.

"When I say we're building three games, we're building three full games, not experiments," he later clarified when asked about Valve's free HTC Vive prototype The Lab.

The downside to Valve's ambition is that it is not going to come cheap. Newell isn't interested in what low-end VR can do. He wants to see what the cutting edge kit is capable of. Because in the end, it doesn't matter how affordable VR headsets are if there isn't a strong reason to acquire one.

I'm sure all the awfully privileged tech writers will be very happy. :)

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:09 am

I saw this on Twitter yesterday. I'm really not sure what the person making the predictions was smoking when it came to PSVR.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:56 am

How many PS4 are there in circulation? Did they base their estimations on that?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 am

Almost 60 million last time I recall seeing a figure.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Whatever it was DjchunKfunK I could use it too! :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:08 pm

:D

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:44 am

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... culus-code

ZeniMax Media has delivered on its promise to file for an injunction against Oculus, filing papers with a Dallas court asking that products using disputed code be removed from sale.

The injunction papers were filed yesterday, according to a report from Reuters, in the same court that heard its case against Oculus VR and its founders Palmer Luckey and Brendan Iribe last month. The trial resulted in the award of $500 million in damages to ZeniMax.

This injunction specifically relates to lines of code used by developers creating software for Oculus Rift and Samsung Gear VR. If the injunction takes effect, it will have an impact on which games can be sold for those devices.

A spokeswoman for Oculus, Tera Randall, stated that the company is appealing the original verdict, describing it as, "legally flawed and factually unwarranted."

Oculus CTO John Carmack made a similar point in the aftermath of the trial, describing ZeniMax Media's argument that Oculus code was "non-literally copied" from work he undertook at id Software as akin to saying Harry Potter was stealing from Joseph Campbell's theory of The Hero's Journey - "which also maps well onto Star Wars and hundreds of other stories."

ZeniMax responded with its own statement, pointing out that expert testimony had asserted "both literal and non-literal copying," and that, "Oculus programmers themselves admitted using ZeniMax's copyrighted code.

"Not surprisingly, the jury found ZeniMax code copyrights were infringed."
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:31 am

The Rift is getting a price cut. Headset plus Touch is now £598, a Touch on its own is £99.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:21 am

Sub 450 or better 400 and I might bite. After I've bought a new MB (5 years old now) cpu and GPU.

Probably a long way off really.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

On the brightside it'll be even cheaper then, Jez.

I've moved house and taken the 2nd double bedroom as a VR room, it's fucking knackering.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:45 pm

See that's an aspect I haven't really thought about but I probably don't have space to flail about blind to the real world. Or the embarrassment quota for that either to boot. :)

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group