Oculus Rift, Vive and VR in Gaming

Steamz and moar.
Boomshaka

Oculus Rift, Vive and VR in Gaming

Postby Boomshaka » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 am

Hey, thought it was about time for a proper thread since the chat on this is bleeding over from Carmack's Quakecon talk stuff, so, bam.

Kickstarter page - Ended!

Guy trying out the prototype at Gamescom 2012 with Doom3 BFG edition

His "eyes-on" vid:

And recent info released a few days ago include added official Rift support for the in-cockpit Mech game, Hawken which is pretty cool!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts/296537

Hawken will feature an exclusive Oculus VR cockpit that let’s the player look around inside the mech, independant of the mech’s direction, in full stereoscopic 3D.

Hawken in Virtual Reality:

Everyone with a Rift will be able to pilot their Hawken mech in completely immersive, stereo 3D virtual reality.

An entirely new way to play Hawken which includes updates to gameplay, input, the cockpit, and the heads-up-display.

Hawken will feature an exclusive Oculus VR cockpit that let’s the player look around inside the mech, independant of the mech’s direction, in full stereoscopic 3D.

Hawken is free-to-play, which means that anyone with a Rift can try Hawken in virtual reality on 12.12.12.

http://vimeo.com/48289061

So two, count em, two games officially supported so far!

:D
Last edited by Boomshaka on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will debase self for credits.

Boomshaka

Re: Oculus Rift - 3D VR headset for gaming [2M funded]

Postby Boomshaka » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:53 pm

And thats another game announcing official support already.

Miner Wars 2081

We are proud to be supporting the Oculus Rift Project! Our in-house VRAGE Engine which powers Miner Wars: 2081 is already scheduled to implement TrackIR headtracking to better allow players to be immersed in the game. We're taking it a step further this time and are scheduling some modifications to our engine that will not only support the Oculus Rift but perhaps future VR equipment as well. The Oculus Rift looks perfect for our type of gameplay, and we feel Miner Wars: 2081 is the perfect 6DoF game to test it on. Sure other engines allow the 6DoF (especially the ID engine that is heavily endorsing the Oculus Rift Project) but there are no other games that actually allow the 6DoF movement nativaly, giving us something special to work on!

With Head-Tracking and the addition of Stereo Displays compatibilty we expect players to be able to experience a richer Miner Wars 2081 immersion. We'll be polishing the cockpits in places we thought people would never look, and you may start using the side windows tactically in ways that we never initially intended! We feel this project is perfect for our type of game, and it will bring the six degrees of freedom feel that virtual reality units are traditionally attracted to! So we're stocking up on our whips, forcing our 3D artists to model things behind and under the 'viewport'.

Keeping those in mind who may not be able to get such special equipment for leasure, but may have a web-cam; we're also consdiering adding FreeTracking to our engine. FreeTracking will allow for many of those who want the immersive qualitys of headtracking or VR but aren't yet able to spend quite the money on the equipment. This may also allow ways for those who want to play with large stereo displays (like in movies) without having to require head-gear for the player. We want to open up new play possibilities for all our players, and allow for them to upgrade on their own schedule.

We're very excited about this project, and can't wait to recieve our Dev Kit. This might be a whole new step in gaming, and we are interested in seeing how this will change the arsenal of the common player. Will this push the release of the game back? We've decided that it would be best to add support for these immersive technolgies after the release of the game. We'll implement this technolgy as a free update to the game before we start working on other DLC as we fully complete our features. As a consequence however you might lucid dream it's already in the game...

Aye its basic looking but its gratifying to see support, even before the protype has been released yet. All we need to do is wait for the various mods and tinkering that'l hopefully if probably occur post launch

Also catch this vid below which kinda shows the low (relatively) resolution of the display. We've had limited idea of this and have mostly gone with impressions from press aswell as some of the big names in the industry doing their level best to champion its merits, as unfortunately there hasn't been any other way to represent it on a video, but you can see here it doesn't look half bad. :)

Skip to 3.10

Quite tempted. Again :)

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:00 pm

I've never felt sick from a youtube video before. Imagine having the thing on! The only thing this is of any use for is cockpit games. Mechwarrior, racing, flight, trainsims and roadsweaper 3D. How is there any chance of playing an FPS like that? Do you aim with your head? If you still aim with the mouse the disconnect is going to make 90% of people spew.

Now a proper mechwarrior game that uses something like Steel Bat controller where the glasses can see the controller and your hands and render them in the game. Get that shit going and I'll drop £400 on this. Puking in Doom3? Nah, not on for that.

.......street fighter though.....
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Now you said that, there's a PcGamer interview with its creator talking how the total immersion aspect has been mostly ok on the people throwing up all over the place front. Just some 4 year old kid who probably didn't like monsters coming at him in the first place, aswell as a guy who his mates dared him to try it because he suffered from mad car sickness.

Control wise, I think from all the vids ive seen of Doom 3 its been with a pad rather than a mouse so im guessing the weapons aiming would have been locked with looking around, but with the release notes included with Hawken when they announced its is going to be Rift compatible its going to be more of an Arma Track IR approach - "looking around inside the mech, independant of the mech’s direction"

Trying to play something like Bf3 or cod without that separation however - aye, get a bucket :D

edit

heres the interview

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:02 pm

3D TVs still haven't really taken off because you've got to wear stupid glasses, I predict this will be less popular. Also every time VR goggles make a come back they are washed out to sea in a flood of vomit.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Personally I haven't taken to 3d glasses because of a few technical hang ups with the format rather than of the idea itself - when its gaming we're talking about that is. Whole other set of problems and issues I have with it when we're talking movies.

Loss of colour, ghosting effect and the relative infancy of its implementation are things I have issue with just now, plus its still rather unsupported. There's a handful of games out there that can sort of give off a sensation of depth but mostly it just grabs at the same low hanging fruit that the majority of 3d movies go after. Projectiles along with being able to see an exaggerated difference between background and foreground.

Plus this isn't just 3d we're talking about here, as its incredibly wide field of view is so that the entire picture wraps around your vision and responds to your head as you look around with (reportedly) almost no latency - much more innovative and exciting than simply some 3d jobbies put in place as an aftereffect.

3D is rather a poor mans VR in many ways anyway. Its something that been reduced from something greater in accordance to what current technology and buyer costs allow but what were seeing here is something that's close to a game changer in many ways. Probably for most people it might get the same press as some of the hardcore simulator fan goofy stuff such as TrackIR but really its exciting that such a rudimentary hobby level creation has gotten this level of traction already within the industry, and it'll be amazing to see in how many different directions it goes in.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 am

I guess its a step in some direction and the next big things always look shit when they are small.

Give it 20 years though :lol:

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Wait, the Rift isn't 3D is it?

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:06 pm

I believe both Carmack and Rift creator mentioned at this years Quakcon that 3d is down the same path as vr, in that it's something thats easily doable with the soon to follow consumer model, but I'm not sure what the prototype is capable of with regards to that. Everyone whose gone on to praise it has said how Doom3's environment feels it could be touched if the player put his hands out infront, and it's creator has said he's been experimenting with airsoft guns to further increase that immersion :D

With regards to what nvidea cards are capable of doing just now, the Rift certainly sounds like quite a few steps beyond that.

Edit

From neogaf:

from what I've read having your FOV be completely covered, stereo 3D with a focal point of infinity and low latency head tracking tricks your brain a hell of a lot better than just having the equivilent of a 3DTV strapped to your head. I've read and heard many anecdotes about vertigo being induced, including Carmack's keynote.

BoggyB

Re: Oculus Rift - 3D VR headset for gaming [2.4M funded]

Postby BoggyB » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Once again as a lover of mental peripherals I can't wait till this shows up in its final form. And theres a fucking mech game associated with it? Awesome!
Listen to me. Traitor.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:20 pm

I just want a proper mech sim, one I can use my ridiculous joystick with. I reckon I could find my way around it without being able to look at it, as all of the controls are sensibly placed. Hawken doesn't really look like a proper mech game, just an FPS where everyone's piloting a battlesuit.

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 pm

eVoL wrote:I've never felt sick from a youtube video before. Imagine having the thing on!

Surely the idea of VR is that the tracking is 1:1, and the FOV and optics are matched exactly to what your eyes expect to see, combined with zero latency... meaning that you won't feel any more sick than moving your head in reality?

The Rift doesn't quite manage all those things, but we'll get there pretty quickly once this kicks off...

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:05 am

Yeah, but if your brain can detect even the slightest imperfection, then the motion sickness could occur.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:23 pm

If I'm playing an A-10 simulator with that thing and I don't throw up I'll consider it a failure.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:13 pm

See, DCS A-10 would be my first choice of game I'd want to play with this sort of thing, but you really would need a high-res display for it to work. There's no way you'd be able to read the cockpit instruments otherwise without zooming in, but then you'd just feel like an army pilot that didn't pass the eye test.

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group