Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Raid » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Fortnite - Decided to give this a go when they launched it on Switch at E3, figuring I should at least give the format a go. Surprisingly I found myself quite enjoying it, although that may have been down to the instant success I enjoyed helped by the Switch's incredibly generous auto-aim. The weapons have a suitable amount of kick to them meaning players don't feel like bullet sponges, but if someone gets the drop on you with a suitable weapon you're unlikely to be able to fight back. Bullet velocity is such that instant-kill headshots are pretty rare, but I got two of them in the same game (so surprised was I that I used the Switch's record function to capture them; I'll put them up once I work out how to add MLG airhorn effects).

...but the endgame gets weird. I suspect I'll never be able to win a game of this as I don't have the controller dexterity to instantly build a crate around myself when shot at. There's no delay on the building mechanic so you can literally spin in a circle and surround yourself instantly with walls, leaving the player inside time to work out where they're being shot from. At present I'm lucky if I can get out of the building mode when I accidentally hit the button that activates it, nevermind build something useful.

It's not something I expect I'll put a lot of time into, especially given my predilection for avoiding competitive multiplayer shooters, but as a game I can at least see the attraction. It's not as obviously toxic as something like Overwatch as there's no voice comms in free-for-all games, which makes it feel a little more welcoming. That and, y'know, it's completely free to play. That probably helps.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm still playing the odd game of PUBG with friends, but the magic of it has very much worn off now. I was considering giving Fortnite a go, but the whole build mechanic put me off when I saw end-game videos of people literally just building towers up to each other and jumping around them like a jungle gym. It looks a bit too manic for my taste.

I am currently playing Dead by Daylight for my odd multiplayer fix though, which I'm having an absolute blast with because asymmetric games have always been a favourite of mine.

I'm also playing Dark Souls Remastered on PS4, obviously. I've taken to rushing to the invasion covenant and spending an hour or so at a time completely ruining low level player's games. -_-

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:04 pm

You should give Realm Royale a shot Mantis, it's like Fortnite, but without the building.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:01 pm

One of my PUBG friends did recommend that to me, but from what I gathered watching the videos the combat is sort of Borderlands/Division esque where you have a fairly significant health bar and each shot ticks off damage indicators. I'll probably cave and we'll end up giving it a go but when it comes to this style of gameplay I'm more drawn towards realistic damage simulation.

Ideally what I'd like is a hardcore version of PUBG with a slightly smaller map and even slower paced combat in the style of ARMA where you drop like a fly if you get clipped.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:25 pm

OK yeah it's more arcadey than PUBG.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:10 pm

I've been playing a lot of Cursed Castile thanks to DjchunKfunK. I've finally made it to Chapter IV!

Very frustrating, yet addictive little game.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:35 pm

Mafia III

Despite a really slow start I was starting to get into this game. The combat is pretty good and the mission where I fought in an abandoned theme park was really cool. However now that the core loop has been exposed I'm not sure how much staying power the game has. There are only so many times I can go to a district to recruit someone, then go to speak to his informants, do some stuff for them, then take out the two lieutenants to flush out the boss guy. If this is all I'm going to be doing it's going to get old pretty fast.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Honestly I enjoyed the gameplay enough that it saw me through the game till completion, but yeah in terms of the districts there's not a lot of variety. The missions you get to defeat the top boss in each district are pretty diverse and interesting, however. Maybe better in small doses if you're put off by the repetition.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:52 pm

So Lumines Remastered was released yesterday, and I grabbed the Switch version. I never played the PSP original (though spent a fair amount of time with the Vita sequel) so I can't say what's changed, but it looks great, has (I believe) the original soundtrack, and it's still probably the best action puzzle game ever made. I've played a fair amount of Tetris lately, but I genuinely think Lumines is the better game. Tetris to me is simply about precision, while Lumines combines that with timing and more forward planning. There's just more to the gameplay, but really it's the presentation that raises the experience beyond what Tetris is capable of. It's genuinely hypnotic; I can play a single game for about half an hour yet it feels like ten minutes. My entire Tuesday afternoon just evaporated, and I was combining patterns of blocks in my head for hours after I'd put the game down, to the point of distraction during conversation.

Tetris just feels a bit dull after this - I'm interested to see what people think of Tetris Effect (the creator of Lumines and Rez's next title, out later this year) which is largely the game we know and love but with the same entrancing presentation. I think it's about as beautiful as Tetris gets, and there's VR support.

So, err, yeah, Lumines is great, and it's only £13.49. Buy it.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:49 pm

Battlefront II

When you see a game that you always wanted going for just £18 on the original dev store with the knowledge that all post release content will be completely free well how could I not take a bite. I never got on with the original game which while great for fan service didn't deliver anything close to an enjoyable gaming experience but after playing BFII's beta I knew I wanted more - then the whole loot box controversy spoiled any chance of that. Now though steps have been made to make the game not only fun to play with a now completely refined and very well done leveling system but there's sooooo much more content *more than double* in this already than there ever was whether you wish to play large battles, CQB, fight among the stars or just go all out Jedi Outcast style in tight classic Star Wars era surroundings wading your way through waves of enemies in third person as Darth Maul pulling off expertly timed moves - it's all here and more importantly it's all fun as fuck to boot. I do sometimes get flashbacks to playing the older games which just adds to the overall yep this was well worth it vibe I get when playing because essentially that's all fans of the series ever wanted.

Unlike the original with which even when spending just £8 for the largest edition available I still somehow felt ripped off Battlefront II makes up for that in droves as unlike other games where I load up and head to my religous once a day singular game mode while ignoring all the rest in this I actually play something different every single time I boot it up which is almost unheard of for someone like me. I do love me a bit of Extraction mode though and have spent plenty of time huddled up right next to the shipment under heavy fire from all angles popping off both my toxic acid launcher rounds and pinpointing enemies for my team with the scan dart. If that doesn't work due to the map having several choke points there's always the option to hard flank and blast some rebels with my shotgun point blank. The game runs great and looks incredible with it but mostly the team play in this is about as strong as can be unlike the hot mess it was in the first and actively being part of a victory even with my 14-20 or so on average kills still feels bloody great. I think I'm about level 54 now in my Assault class with my three main perks all at max so I guess it is high time I started fleshing out into the other classes point in case having an actual class based system completely alters the game for the better and even though some think the respawn system is too slow I think it's just enough to give you time to rethink your tactics or perhaps even join and stick with a much stronger squad who will help you push through to the objective.

The added seasons are a great idea although I am kinda pissed I bought it not long after the fun as hell looking Ewok Hunt mode has been removed but there are rumblings it will be back soon enough. Incidentally you can still pick it up from key sites for £18.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:36 pm

See! Its not bad! You should play the campaign if only for the best character in the SW universe.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:12 pm

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:34 pm

I enjoyed the 10 hour trial I had on Access but felt no real inclination to buy it once I'd had my fill in that time. It was definitely better than the first game by a fairly substantial amount in the end though, but the progress and unlock system was painfully slow and a lot of the map design was fairly questionable at times with the spawn points and chokepoints that would lead to endless grenade spamming. And not being able to squad up with friends properly was a real stupid idea.

It is a very cinematic game though. Absolutely nails the feel of Star Wars.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:01 am

Raid wrote:So Lumines Remastered was released yesterday, and I grabbed the Switch version.

Its only a tenner on steam but Ive been put of ny the negative reviews...
Not Recommended
0.2 hrs on record
POSTED: 1 JULY
No mouse as controller option.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:04 am

Really?! Wow I'm sure the last PC Lumines release had that control scheme, weird.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group