Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
eVoL

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 am

Wildlands
Played the 6 hour demo, loved it, bought it. Maybe an hour later I realised its just a fucking map janitor game again! You fucked me again Ubi! The core is decent but when you zoom out that map, see all the bloody stupid icons it just feels to tedious. Even the main line missions are little more than clear an area type things. Its way too unfocused. The MP seems ok though but not enough to get me off Siege at the moment.

Subterfuge
This is like a more condensed version of Neptunes Pride. Its almost a Galcon clone that takes weeks and is actually really well done. Its a very basic 4X multiplayer game at heart but it plays so slowly that it becomes almost a grand strategy. A short planet to planet move takes around 19 hours to complete, long ones can take days so you can see an attack coming and have quite some time to react. You also have the ability to queue up orders to happen in X amount of time soooo... a fleet is on its way to your planet, you may have a special/rare unit (I forget what its called) that can divert them back to their nearest friendly planet and to be extra dickish/effectful you can trigger that unit to only move out and attack when the attacking fleet is 30mins out making them waste a huge amount of time redirecting. You could then set a fleet to leave your planet a few minutes later to attack the planet the enemy fleet came from (they were expecting your fleet to be wiped out by their attack, leaving their planet vulnerable as their fleet goes on a round trip) Without that time trigger aspect to the orders it could be very annoying if this are happening while youre asleep but this fixes that well.

Its IOS and Droid and its kind of a perfect phone game in that small time input for big output of feels type thing. The free version gives you access to everything except ranked games and creating custom games (£10 to unlock that). Its worth a try.

Hitman

Petered off it on the PC then for some reason downloaded the demo on PS4 and ended up buying it there too. Its so good! I forgot how much I enjoyed just hammering off the challenges for the maps. At this rate I might be finished for season 2 at which point I hope to get in on the elusives as they come. Its the Dark Souls of games that are good.

Dishonoured
Kept giving this up on the PC because I couldnt get past LMB=right hand RMB=Left hand and it didnt feel right to swap the buttons, I wanted the physical hands on screen reversed! Anyway, bought it on console (and 2 and Outsider, all in!) and yeah, its really quite good isnt it? Not that far into it 4 missions in or there abouts but its very good!

Momodora
Its cutesy Castlevania. Its really quite good and quite tough too. I wish it was on Vita because I tend to forget about pixely games on big consoles for whatever reason so we'll see if I stick with it.

Nier
Giant Bombs fault. It seems decent, the combats better than I expected but not as good as I would like. The level design so far is a bit bleh. GBs constant bigging up of the story is making me want to push through where I would probably give up otherwise. The music is very nice though.

Now I have the problem of starting too many games and having no time to actually play them all :? :( :cry:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:11 pm

You're in for a treat with Dishonored 1/2! Possibly my fave games of the past 5 years.
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 pm

And if you like those and you haven't already get PREY. Made by the same devs and is a great game.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:23 pm

eVoL wrote:Wildlands
Played the 6 hour demo, loved it, bought it. Maybe an hour later I realised its just a fucking map janitor game again! You fucked me again Ubi! The core is decent but when you zoom out that map, see all the bloody stupid icons it just feels to tedious. Even the main line missions are little more than clear an area type things. Its way too unfocused. The MP seems ok though but not enough to get me off Siege at the moment.

Ah now see all those icons, they mean a little vignette of co-op goodness. There is no finer game to hook up for some co-op, the game swings from special forces stealth bad-assery to action movie carnage and the whole thing is just fucking sublime. Don't look at it as a 'gotta get them all' kinda thing, just immerse yourself with a co-op buddy or three with comms plugged in and let the flow take you where you will.

Brilliant game, plus the DLC is so awful you never need be tempted to spend money on it :D
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Jez wrote:And if you like those and you haven't already get PREY. Made by the same devs and is a great game.

Funnily enough I've been getting tucked into this over the past week, and it really is fucking sublime! :D
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Eny wrote:
Jez wrote:And if you like those and you haven't already get PREY. Made by the same devs and is a great game.

Funnily enough I've been getting tucked into this over the past week, and it really is fucking sublime! :D

Yes it's great and it probably didn't sell very well. :roll: unlike the likes of FC5 which is probably selling like scabby chips outside a seaside night club :roll: :roll: :roll:

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:50 am

Snowy wrote:Ah now see all those icons, they mean a little vignette of co-op goodness. There is no finer game to hook up for some co-op, the game swings from special forces stealth bad-assery to action movie carnage and the whole thing is just fucking sublime. Don't look at it as a 'gotta get them all' kinda thing, just immerse yourself with a co-op buddy or three with comms plugged in and let the flow take you where you will.

I find it all but impossible to schedule a decent length coop session these days so I’m stuck on solo for the time being. The actual meat and potatoes of the combat is really fun, just needs more veg.

its one I’ll get to at some point. Played the demo and the window at the start was one of the most :o moments in games since... uhm... dunno! Casting the meteor spell in Bulletwitch? :mrgreen:

Judge Rabbi

Postby Judge Rabbi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:48 pm

PREY was pretty good, although a bit glitchy near the end with odd reactions from NPC's to nearby enemies, and weird audio mixing and triggering. Regardless it was still surprisingly good experience, it was a game made for those who grew up with SS2 and the likes...although personally I feel the game is not as spooky as Dead Space or SS2.
I've been playing a bit of Dishonored 2 as well, gave the Outsider the middle finger and decided NO POWARS! Blink was cool and all but I feel it made things a bit too easy.
Also on the playing pile is Gravity Rush 2, in which each mission feels like a whole 'slice of life' style anime episode. Can't exactly burn through that game in a single sitting, you'll need to pace yourself with this one!

Oh gawd you bought Nier. Good luck with that...here's a video you could watch if it fucking annoys you after a while...or sooner than after a while.

In other news I tried to patch up the hole made by the lack of physical releases of the Ace Attorney games on the DS/3DS.

...nope. :cry:
Up your's Capcom. Release the missing...five over here dammit!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:48 pm

I really enjoyed Gravity Rush but I’ve not gotten round to 2 yet.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Jez wrote:
Eny wrote:

Yes it's great and it probably didn't sell very well. :roll: unlike the likes of FC5 which is probably selling like scabby chips outside a seaside night club :roll: :roll: :roll:

Think the units sold was under 500k and that's across all platforms, so no chance of a sequel. I really wanted to see how it went after the final reveal at the end as well :(
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Judge Rabbi wrote:PREY was pretty good, although a bit glitchy near the end with odd reactions from NPC's to nearby enemies, and weird audio mixing and triggering. Regardless it was still surprisingly good experience, it was a game made for those who grew up with SS2 and the likes...although personally I feel the game is not as spooky as Dead Space or SS2.
I've been playing a bit of Dishonored 2 as well, gave the Outsider the middle finger and decided NO POWARS! Blink was cool and all but I feel it made things a bit too easy.
Also on the playing pile is Gravity Rush 2, in which each mission feels like a whole 'slice of life' style anime episode. Can't exactly burn through that game in a single sitting, you'll need to pace yourself with this one!

Oh gawd you bought Nier. Good luck with that...here's a video you could watch if it fucking annoys you after a while...or sooner than after a while.

In other news I tried to patch up the hole made by the lack of physical releases of the Ace Attorney games on the DS/3DS.

...nope. :cry:
Up your's Capcom. Release the missing...five over here dammit!

Hey the Judge is back!! Good to see you around again matey. Gotta love those early AA games, top stuff! :)

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Elex

I played a chunk of Elex over the weekend, managed to get out of the starting town and do a bit of exploring. I think I've got a handle on the combat, you really need to watch you stamina so that you don't run out and can't block or dodge. I can see what they are trying to go for with the combat, it's very Dark Soulsish with each fight requiring you to concentrate. This is not something you are used to in these types of RPGs, usually you just run in and smack the enemy about a bit until it is dead. If you try that here you will just die. So combat basically revolves around hitting a few times then backing off and dodging or blocking the enemy attacks and waiting for your stamina to regen. Once you get used to it it is an OK system. However I have only fought enemies one on one, I'm not sure how well it is going to work with multiple enemies.

Because combat is a lot more dangerous there are fewer enemies on the map and once you kill them the don't appear to respawn. You can encounter tougher enemies which you can't kill right away so you need to be careful when exploring. The jet pack helps with this and is especially useful for moving to higher ground where enemies can't get at you. This leads to me being very cautious when exploring the world, always on the lookout for enemies and gives the world a real sense of danger.

I'm still really enjoying the lore of the game and as I explore and meet more people the game has done a good job of fleshing the world out. It's also a really interesting world to explore. Because it is post apocalyptic there are a lot of ruins with the leftovers of people's lives in them. It's not incredibly detailed, but there is enough flavour that it helps to add to the world building. While I was exploring yesterday it was giving off a very Stalker vibe. Exploring ruins, gather up pieces of peoples lives to sell and avoiding areas with gas and wild animals.

Now that I am starting to get a handle on the systems the world is opening up a bit more and I'm really starting to enjoy it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Saw that you were playing it, nearly dropped you a message to ask how you were finding it. I'm slightly intrigued largely due to happy memories of the first Risen, but if I do get it I suspect it will be down the line with the heaviest of discounts.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Game were selling it for a tenner.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:22 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Game were selling it for a tenner.

Fair enough, didn't see that deal. I've bought a fair bit though recently so unlikely I'd get to it any time soon (and by then might have come down lower in places)...
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group