Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:35 am

Divinity Original Sin 2 (early access)

This is out in a few weeks and from what I can tell the EA price (£30) is remaining in place on launch, so went for it as I really enjoyed the first one. It's excellent, I have to say. It took me probably a couple of hours to get into it and teach myself the combat ins and outs again, but once it clicked I've devoured it over the past few days.

The combat is still great, which was obviously the big draw for the first game, but they've spent a lot more time developing more interesting party characters, who each have their own quest-line to follow, personalities etc, which is an improvement on its predecessor. The story once it gets going is a lot more involving as well (imo).

There are more preset classes (though as before as you level up you're free to build your character however you want), more races to play and more spells and skills... it was a little overwhelming at first but not really that hard to pick up as you go. Back to the party characters, when they join you, you can pretty much dictate what class they are, which means you can build you party as you want without having to ditch the ones you like. Found out after doing so that each race has certain boons that mean a particular class is most suited (eg elves get a +2 bonus to finesse which means they suit a rogue class etc), but it isn't so much that you feel you've missed out if you don't take advantage of them.

Played 15 hours and completed the first act (apparently around 25% of the full game in terms of play-time) which is the full EA release, and loved it. Would recommend it whole-heartedly to any fans of the first DOS. My only slight reservation at this point doing so is that I've read that EA saves do not carry over to the full release, so in a few weeks I'll have to start again. Don't mind that at all as it happens, as I've learned so much in this play-through that I'll be approaching the 'proper' one is a slightly different way. But just thought it worth mentioning.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Picked this up on GoG for £9 as I'd heard so many good things about it and was in the mood to get stuck into a new RPG. At the 23 hour mark I can honestly say I'm pretty much floored by it in general. Everything from the combat, the excellent pawn system and the locations are all exactly what I was hoping for. It may not be the best game graphically but the actual places you visit are all very well crafted with some great atmosphere and the boss fights are the best I believe I've ever encountered in an RPG, sorry Witcher 3. Even just the random encounters are truly something else due to the manner in which they must be tackled for you to win a fight.

My one true problem with the game however is two fold and that is traversing the lands combined with the Quest system which is so very confusing in nature due to there never being a main quest path or a side quest path, everything is just jumbled together and locating where you need to go is only half the issue as getting there often requires treading across the same bit of road over and over again. Unless I'm doing something drastically wrong it's the one thing that's putting me off putting in some major time into the game. Once you are in a desired location taking on a quest it's pure magic, literally. I do like the upgrade system too and the way the devs have gone to lengths to hide some of the better looting chests or bags of money.

I've only just started tinkering with the online pawn system and some of the pawns on offer are comical although the prices for the pawn of the month or the highest costing ones are insane and the top one is named PawnStar. :lol: Oh and unlike the Dark Souls series this is a game which I can still enjoy playing and progress with even when the going gets tough.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Not for me I think.

Apparently there's not much of a story here aside from the end which is apparently very good if you get that far. Really not a looker, not completely ugly by any means but still.

I'll wait for a sequel. In the meantime going to buy that Senua's Sacrifice I think for the fantasy fix.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 pm

I didn't like Dragon's Dogma at all. It has a lot of "collect 50 rabbit pelt" style side quests, I don't remember it having much of a story in the eight hours I played and the pawns were just as dumb as every other AI companion. The monster climbing thing was cool though.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 am

I agree the story takes way too long to start rolling in but I'm often far too wrapped up in much of the side quest stuff to notice and it's one of those games were so many encounters become very much stories in themselves. I just wish it wasn't so bloody dark at night as if I ever do run out of oil I literally cannot see enemies in front of my face unless I either slap the brightness up to 20 or just leave the enemy health bar on and just have to attack that instead. :lol:

Often I feel like I'm playing an odd mix of Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption, Summoner and Two Worlds II all of which are some of my favourite ever RPG's. I also get the Monster Hunter vibe many seem to mention.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Replaying Fallout 4, modded up the kazoo.

Not overly bothered about the execrable story, just had a hankering to play through some Fallout again so going to do my own thing and forge my own path.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Ha, just started that myself this week (I have 2 weeks off to pretty much game..). Modded to hell and back. I bought a copy for my son but he refuses to mod it as he wants to do it vanilla first...so proud :)

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:30 pm

middle Earth. Shadow of mordor

So I'm replaying this mostly because the second one is out in October. I remember mostly enjoying the first play through on release with the usual gripes about it being a little generic on the open world side. But otherwise a great game with lots of variety in combat.

This time round I seem to be enjoying it more which is sort of unusual for me. Normally when I try to replay most games they don't hit the same heights as the first time round. The thing with this game is that it's a little light on the story side I feel. What's there is good and feels "middle earth" leaning more on the film action feeling than the books of course. I just feel there could be more of it.

The open world side isn't grating on me as much as first time also. The setting doesn't change much at all it's all a bit well....Mordor. Dreary, Brown, and grey. Not awful looking at all and every now and then I'll see some scenery and it'll look amazing.

The nemesis system does of course exist in the game as a headline feature. I've only died twice to captains by stupid mistakes or whatnot and even then I've revenged myself straightaway. So I've not seen them morph into anything ridiculously powerful yet on this run through.This might be because I'm paying a lot more attention to the strengths and weaknesses of the orcs killing then more efficiently than first time.

Planning a kill is my favourite part of the game though. Going to the sauron army screen and getting that weakness info, then onto a high position to see what the environment offers to help me out.

Anyway I'm about to finish mopping up stuff in the first area and then it's time to move onto the second map.

The new game does look like it does much the same thing but hopefully there will be some more story and a few tinkerings with the gameplay where necessary. Looking forward to it.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:38 pm

I've been waiting for Enter the Gungeon to come to the Switch since March when it was announced, but finally caved and bought it for the PC for the princely sum of £4.90 in the Humble sale. S'fun, though I'm not very good at it yet (got to the second boss on my first go, died on level 2 each time thereafter). It's ideal for a handheld I think, and I'll likely rebuy it once the Switch version is released assuming it's not crazily priced.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

This game was awesome. I enjoyed every single minute of it.

Everything clicks perfectly, the user interface, the gameplay mechanics, the setting, the voice acting. It's a shame there's apparently no plans for a sequel.

So many situations where you think 'christ, how the hell am I going to get this done' but the solution then presents itself organically as you probe various defences with your varied characters.

Pretty much a classic I reckon. The only downside is 90% of the fun factor is from finding solutions for the very first time, so replay value might not be there to a great extent. But even so, it doesn't really matter when it's this damn good playing first time round.

9/10

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:01 pm

How similar was it to the old Commandos games?

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Well, the concept is largely the same. But tbh I didn't even find myself thinking of those old games while playing it - it's so polished and new, plus I adore the setting. It's really atmospheric.

It's great to be able to rotate the camera round completely too, to plan a different angle of attack.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Shadow Tactics is brilliant, been espousing its charms for a while now. If you enjoyed Commandos and/or Desperadoes it's damn near essential imho.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:38 pm

It's one of those titles that's been on my Steam wishlist since it was released, but I'm unwilling to spend £20+ on it because I get the feeling I just won't gel with it.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:01 pm

It's currently £13.54 over at Instant Gaming for the Steam key. It's where I got it from.

Do iiiiit.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group