Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Mantis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:47 pm

I've heard a few things about Battle Chasers. Definitely on my wishlist ready for a decent sale discount.

It's a free weekend for Dawn of War 3 so I've been giving it a try. Boy is it a game that suffers from a crisis of identity. They've stripped back a variety of mechanics to try and simplify things, but then the UI and pre-game systems are all a total mess and it just doesn't even feel like a DoW title. It's just so incredibly bland with a laughably weak campaign, but perhaps most damning of all is that there is a slight delay between you giving your units orders and them actually doing anything, often compounded by the fact that squads have poor pathfinding and can get stuck on each other really easily.

I get the feeling this game had a very laboured development. It really does not live up to the standard you'd expect from this franchise, I can see why it has tanked so badly.

MrH

Postby MrH » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 am

I just finished The Evil Within 2, overall a really good game, only let down by poor performance on PC, it really needs some work. Even Digital Foundry couldn't get a stable 1080p/60fps, hell they couldn't even get 720p/60fps stable with their beast machine. I ended up playing it at 900p and it held 60fps most of the time which was good enough I guess. I have to say I really enjoyed the combat, from the stealth kills to just going balls to the wall with the shotgun, killing shit just felt really satisfying from start to finish. And the last boss was without a doubt one of the coolest designs ever, I loved it. I actually played the first game and quit a few hours in, but after enjoying this one so much I'll definitely revisit it at some point. 8/10.
The question isn't why do I kill people, the question is... why I don't kill everybody

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Stalker: Call of Pripyat

'Sense of place' I believe is what they call it. And CoP in my opinion is top of the all time list in that department. I've never felt transported to a more evocative, realistic locale in a computer game.

Been making my way through the 3 zones, nearing the end in Pripyat and it's just as immense as I remember it. It's such an intense experience.

Also, I like the subtle RPG elements; XP isn't given, but quests & exploration lean you towards upgrading your equipment and attaining new, more powerful weapons/artefacts. All of which gradually makes you a more capable individual as the game progresses. It's a wonderfully subtle way of doing it, compared to having level-up menus with "+10 accuracy" options, etc.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:10 am

Shadow of War:

While it never feels good to have to fall back on to another game because the game you truly want to play won't run I doubt I could have chosen a more suited game to play instead than the follow up to my much loved Shadow of Mordor. Had it not been for the poor timing of Origins I know I would already have been playing this weeks ago. I will admit outright though that for the first few hours the game really did not click with me at all, in fact I was having so little fun I was actually thinking I had made a HUGE mistake in even buying it due to several reasons I will get into. First of all the graphics seemed like a severe downgrade over the 2015 release and this was with running everything on a mixture of both High and Very High with even some Ultra bits thrown in and no matter what I did I just couldn't get the game to look how I hoped it would. Not even turning off the dynamic resolution option made it any better although it did stop the game looking so washed out. What bugged me the most was that even when it rained there wasn't a single ounce of reflective surfaces showing anywhere and I wasn't sure if it was a game bug or not. Of course graphics aren't everything so I ploughed a good 9 or 10 hours into the opening area which is basically just your average fort type area but still I was struggling to enjoy it, yes there were obvious improvements I was loving such as the extremely handy new double jump which would make getting from building to building or object to object and absolute cinch. Aside from a few improvements it wasn't looking good for Shadow of War.

The first thing that hit me hard was how utterly spammy the combat felt when compared to Mordor so instead of the tightly controlled enjoyable and often highly tactical scraps I was used to I was ending up embroiled in chaotic buggy looking mosh pit type affairs with so many enemies after me it just wasn't fun at all. At one point I turned a corner and no word of a lie there were at least 30 enemies suddenly all racing at me. What the fuck is this shit is all I could think at this point as each and every new encounter descended into mindless mayhem with far too many enemies for me to properly take out as I loved doing so in the first outing. Enemies, enemies fucking everywhere. Higher level enemies suddenly ambushing me at all turns. They gone fucked it up carried with me for those initial hours of play and my interest in playing the game quickly dwindled with it.

This was however until I eventually reached the second map area AND WELL, THANK FUCK I DID. After so many hours playing and weighing up the game as a serious misfire the second map suddenly transformed everything in an instant. It soon dawned on me that the opening map was literally nothing more than a massively extended tutorial that wasn't truly a proper representation of what the game actually would become. A wave of vast relief swamped over me at this point as not only did the area design, enemy placements and numbers and gameplay that I knew and loved suddenly rapidly come into play and significantly improve but oddly so did the graphics. I suddenly had snowflakes swirling all around me, beautiful looking scenery and reflective surfaces practically everywhere and enemies were no longer mass swarming and instead were just as they were in the original game meaning encounters became much focused and stealth much more fun to execute. This was what I wanted all along. Just what the fuck Monolith? You lied to me! A good hour or so later just exploring the opening section and I all my doubt had literally fallen away for the very first time I quit the game actually excited to load it up once again.

The issue I see here however is that just as I did many may mistake the opening fort level as a true representation of just what the rest of the game will be when in fact it really isn't and that I feel is a very dangerous game to play as if the first few hours don't suck you in just how many people will not bother to even reach the second map and beyond? I could have easily spent another 2 or even 3 hours doing more stuff in the starter area but I chose to leave I was so out and out desperate to see if the game improved further in or not to remove the sense of regret I had riding on my shoulders during the first two days of play.

While I'm still partially somewhat angry that I was so close to giving up playing the game due to what I now consider to be a very poor game design decision on Monolith's part in terms of not allowing us to just enter an area that was far more familiar and more in line with our direct expectations things worked out fine in the end thankfully. Opting to shove us into a fun sapping overly lengthy tutorial area we really could have done without I simply am now ever so glad I pushed through as I did and have now come out the other side a very happy camper. Fuck me it was close though as it was very much like enduring a movie at the cinema you just wanted to get up and leave part way through writing off as a bad experience you instantly wished to forget. Urgh. So close. Too close.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:43 am

How odd Dave, I was pretty much hooked from the start and graphically it looked good from the out. Still am very glad that it has turned around for you, especially given my write-ups on how much fun I was having in the main thread!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 pm

Yeah no complaints here either regarding the start.

Horses for courses I guess.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:58 pm

I had a thought on this - I wonder if they loaded the start with more baddies to give a greater chance of creating a real nemesis? It still hasn't really happened for me, I have had a few that have beaten me, usually because they have the 'no second chance' ability that stops you escaping death (easily remedied with a quick Shaming). I have always hunted them down and slaughtered them though.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Yeah true enough. I've found this lot more robust than the first game by a wee margin. But frankly I'm so OP in comparison to them it can be trivial to defeat them.

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:17 pm

I've been plodding through Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines again recently. It's still pretty fun.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 pm

Mortal Kombat X
Only really played through story mode, didn't understand any of it. I think part if it was because I get getting distracted by the voice acting, every character is that guy from that other game.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Dishonored 2

Thanks first to MM to drawing my attention to the cracking deal, £7 odd was a great price. And it's a really good game! I mean, I enjoyed the first a lot so in that sense not too surprised, but was a lot of negativity at launch I remember, but very much enjoying so far, onto fourth level of a so-far non-lethal run. I think a lot of the criticism was over its performance at launch, and in fairness it's been silky smooth for me - whatever patches they put out have obviously done the trick.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Yeah tbh it ran a great on my system from day one. I have a fairly ubiquitous system spec so I think there was a very vocal minority complaining of problems being backed up by a sympathetic click baity media.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:42 am

That's good to hear regarding the performance as it was one of the remaining nagging doubts I had about it.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:40 am

Bound
I thought this looked dumb as all hell when I watched a bit of a GB quicklook. You know what you, its kind of lovely. Relaxing, beautiful, amazingly animated and art direction. Reminds me of the feeling of playing Alice for the first time. Maybe if Alice and Flower had a baby. It is kind of just a walking sim but a good one with a few relaxed other mechanics. Its nice. Its also free with PS+ right now.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:35 am

That's the dancy game right? Always thought that looked pretty cool, just my cup of tea. It's definitely on the old wish list once the price comes down a little.

Also not sure if I dreamt it or heard it mentioned somewhere (I've really been maintaining a shocking sleep/awake time ratio right now, it's all blending together into one) but a better name for a walking simulator would be a stroll-playing-game.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group