Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Jez

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm

A horses for courses thing I guess. I suppose it helps I'm a massive fan of alien and I felt that they nailed the setting and atmosphere really well.

MrH

Postby MrH » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:29 am

Yeah I definitely think die hard Alien fans will enjoy it more, I've only seen bits and pieces of the films honestly so the authenticity is lost on me.
The question isn't why do I kill people, the question is... why I don't kill everybody

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 am

I prefer alien I think. The RE7 guys were just irritating and dumb. It's still a better direction than the RE4 onward games but I really hope they don't stick with the hunter hunted thing going forward. The big problem with alien was it just got so easy towards the second half.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:37 am

MrH wrote:Yeah I definitely think die hard Alien fans will enjoy it more, I've only seen bits and pieces of the films honestly so the authenticity is lost on me.

Mate, you have some cinematic treats waiting for you there then :)

Watch the first two, can the rest.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Severed
This is real good! I should have played it before now because Drinkbox have never made anything less than excellent. It's only a few quid on IOS and I'd imagine it works great there because it's mostly touch on the vita. Definitely worth a look, fun!

Nioh
Take bloodborne and give it diablo loot with a shitty inventory system. It so desperately wants to be bloodborne except it has really dull art direction and bland as fuck level design. Only an hour or so in but it's not a good first impression. Wasn't a huge fan of Bloodborne but so far this is definitely a lesser b-tier feeling version of it. Might get better.... we'll see.

MrH

Postby MrH » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Finished Alien Isolation, I'd give it a 6/10. I was struggling to find the motivation to complete it by the end and I was ready for it to be over when the credits started to roll. The game starts off well, with good atmosphere and mood but then quickly takes a nose dive once you hit a certain area that seems to drag on forever, I can't remember a time when a single area of a game hurt the overall experience so much, it was truly horrible IMO. There are patches of greatness though it's just that they're so rare and spread out, towards the end especially the game really picks up but it wasn't enough to save it for me. A 6 on my scale means OK, not bad, not good just OK, probably not worth your time as there are so many truly awesome games out there to play instead so I can't recommend it unless you're a die hard Alien fan, then maybe you can forgive the repetitiveness (did I really need to hack 100 doors in the same manner?) and general slowness of the game. I also felt there were far too many loading screens, I have an SSD so they were quick but that's not the point, they were far too frequent IMO. While I'm rattling off low points I have to mention the cut scenes, they're heavily compressed, pre-rendered videos that were recorded at 30fps so they're extremely choppy compared to the buttery smooth 60fps gameplay (the game did run and look great BTW) so it was extremely jarring switching between them. It seems to be a common problem with console ports on PC as they need to save disk space for physical games, but on PC that's not an issue, I'd like to see more devs at least add an option for high quality videos as it really has a big impact on the overall experience and presentation.

TL;DR: Good atmosphere, decent story, impressive visuals and sound but boring and repetitive gameplay that dragged on for more hours than it needed to.

Spoiler: show
Fuck the Medical Bay!
The question isn't why do I kill people, the question is... why I don't kill everybody

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Picked up The Original Strife : Veteran Edition from GOG and been having a blast with it. I think I played a demo of it when it was first out but never bought it then.

Really nice voice work in the game that came out in around 96 from Rogue and does a nice sorta rpg element to a first person shooter with you increasing 2 stats and doing odd jobs from random npc. Also when you talk to main npc you get a neat little portrait of them while the voice actor is talking with a certain companion making jokes out whatever is being said or what you're doing. Nice level design and lets you do some missions differently from the choices you pick.

Haven't finished it still so no idea on the length of game time.

From the same guys doing System Shock remaster.

And brings me on to Turok which NightDive studios also re-updated.

It's a heck of a lot faster and smoother than the N64 version and it was great blast to go through the game again. Nice updated graphics and they did change some parts of the levels from the frustrating parts in the N64. But christ having a mouse and keyboard makes the game so much more enjoyable to play and dare I say it a lot easier. Still was a good blast till the end :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Strife was so good. There's one memorable bit that was amazing at the time.... maybe less so now :p

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:11 am

Ah don't spoil it and I will see if I spot it when I finish it!
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:41 pm

eVoL wrote:Nioh
Take bloodborne and give it diablo loot with a shitty inventory system. It so desperately wants to be bloodborne except it has really dull art direction and bland as fuck level design. Only an hour or so in but it's not a good first impression. Wasn't a huge fan of Bloodborne but so far this is definitely a lesser b-tier feeling version of it. Might get better.... we'll see.
Not as far in as I would like, but I'm still really getting a kick out of Nioh. You're right that it's not a patch on the art design of a From Software game. Dropping the oppressive atmosphere, instead going for a typically shiny, very slick looking Team Ninja design.

It's awfully inarticulate, but I'm very much into the feel of the game. Maybe it is just a scrappy b-tier version of Bloodborne, but it's doing it for me, at least. :P

And I really want to play Strife at some point. Fear I might have missed the boat on it, though.
End of an Era

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Against my better judgement I ended up finishing Rage. Fuck me, what an utter disappointment of a game, they should have called it Bland instead. I was on the last level without even realising it, did some mundane shit and the game just ended. I was also given a big gun at the start of the mission which I didn't use as I thought there would be a boss battle. Nope.

Have now switched my attention to another oldie. Dead to Rights: Retribution. This game is brutal on the old violence scale. The main character has a dog called Shadow that grabs enemies by the groin and tears it off, then rips their throats out, all with lovely crunchy sound effects. The gun play is pretty good and the weapons have a nice punchy feel to them. You also beat enemies to death with some utterly vicious finishing moves. All good fun if very much showing its age now. Feels like something that may have been moved from the PS2 era to the PS3/360 gen.

I'd be very surprised if some of the people who worked on this didn't have something to do with the current Batman games, very similar elements and style used here.

Batman was always ripping peoples nutsacks off right?

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 am

Against my better judgement I ended up finishing Rage. Fuck me, what an utter disappointment of a game, they should have called it Bland instead. I was on the last level without even realising it, did some mundane shit and the game just ended. I was also given a big gun at the start of the mission which I didn't use as I thought there would be a boss battle. Nope.

I only saw something resembling an antagonist on the last level. I was mainly like "Why the hell haven't you shown up before? We're at the end now!" A shame because the game did have some good things going for it. Just not many.

Currently playing a mixture of things, flitting back and forth. Battlefield Hardline, which yes, has flaws such as a poor frame rate (on PS4), but generally isn't as bad as you might expect. The shame really is that nobody is really playing it, and you have to use the server browser to find people playing the expansions.

Star Wars Battlefront, which I bought the digital version with all content, which to be honest should've been the starting package. Having said that I'm finding some sweet spots which I enjoy.

Batman: Arkham Knight. Finished this now, a cracking game I felt. Goes full retard with the story later on in the game (Cloudburst, Knight's true identity) and the Batmobile is a bit off as I've mentioned elsewhere. Like it though I now have to do the Riddler sections :(

Uncharted 4 - hunting the Platinum trophy as I've got them for the other three games, but there's a Speedrun trophy on this one :(

Still to do, Metro Redux, Last of Us Remastered, Hitman Season 1.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:55 am

Yep some funny ones there Rossell. Hardline was one I didn't get but I read it has its highlights and actually can he a lot of fun.

I was very disappointed when the batman game on release turned out to be a ported mess on pc which went on for months then seemed like WB gave up on trying to fix it. Massive fan of the series so was gutted about that. Well I happened to think about it the other day and long story short it turns out they have fixed it and I bought the game and all dlc for less than a fiver. Bargain and it works like a dream. Happy.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Happy to hear it. I had no idea it was fixed until you mentioned it. Last I heard it was a lost cause.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Aye had no word around about it getting fixed aside from reddit and the like. Thought for a fiver it was worth the gamble.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group