Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Edwin
the cunt

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Edwin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:52 pm

Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy

Fuck this game.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:26 pm

I'd been waiting for the Switch version of Enter the Gungeon for 9 months only to have my console stolen a week before it was released. Now that it's been replaced, I can finally get stuck in. I did play a few games on the PC version just to make sure I liked it, but knew it'd be perfect for the Switch so didn't get too far (it may be a game where you start from scratch every time you die, but there are unlocks that populate the world, so I didn't want to get too far into the PC one).

It's brilliant. I knew it would be brilliant when I saw the first gameplay. It's fast and challenging, and sometimes a little unfair (levels are randomly generated and sometimes you get a narrow room with enemies you need space to fight), but problems seem to be quickly forgotten as soon as you restart. I've so far gotten to the boss of the third level (there are I think six levels plus some secret ones) which felt like a monumental effort plus a bit of luck from the item gods.

I find it a bit difficult to put down. My best run lasted half an hour, but most are around the fifteen minute mark, so it's forever tempting to just hit the quick restart button on the death screen and have another go.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 pm

About to install The Witcher 3. Absurd question: Should I install The Witcher 2 and start from there? :-k
Hell. Should I just put 1 on super easy and start there instead? Go all the way in this attempt to figure out the series?
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:47 pm

I had that dilemma recently and was told that it's worth playing 2 before 3, but you can probably safely skip the first game as it is very long winded and doesn't really directly link in. I'm still planning on playing all three in a row though as I'm something of a completionist and it doesn't sit well with me to skip a game.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:15 pm

You might risk burning yourself out by the time you get to Witcher 3. 'Being Geralt' can be a bit hard-going at times I find. I'd struggle doing it for 3 games in a row back-to-back.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:59 pm

As an avid witcher 3 fan. I'd say you can safely play the third without knowing too much about the other 2. There is some crossover with characters but it's fairly minor. I'd say read up some of the previous games back story then crack on and play. There's 250+ hours in the game with the DLC easily so playing the second first might leave you burnt out.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

If you do decide to play The Witcher 2 first, keep in mind that you really should play through the game twice. Half of the game is significantly different based on a choice you make near the beginning.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Edwin wrote:If you do decide to play The Witcher 2 first, keep in mind that you really should play through the game twice. Half of the game is significantly different based on a choice you make near the beginning.
When it comes to branching path games with heavy choices, I'm not much of a completionist. A sort of "That's just how my story played out" kind of mindset.

Alright. Going to take a look at The Witcher. I realise a complete run of the series is not required to start 3, but I'd still like to get a sense of what it's all about.

If it hold my attention, I'll keep at it. But the moment it starts to wear thin I'll be off to read and watch the rest of the story. :P
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:05 pm

The first one is a rough diamond that's for sure. If you get past the swamps I'll be surprised. The second game polished an awful lot of the edges up before the third redefining the genre (at least for me).

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:07 pm

I enjoyed the first Witcher a lot, however it's been years since I played it and honestly not sure how well it will have aged. Probably worth giving it a go and seeing if you want to continue with it, but don't feel you must do so if it's starting to drag.

Witcher 2, though, is well worth playing even today, and is a relatively short experience for an RPG (30-40 hours I'd say), so you shouldn't get too bogged down in it.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:41 pm

I'd say you should at least play 2 as it is a good game with a brilliant story and by getting to know some of the characters it will effect the choices you make in the third game.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Anno 1404

The best city-builder game of all time (IMO). Been playing it off and on for 8 or 9 years now, and just found myself getting the urge to replay it yet again.

It manages to get that perfect balance between being really indepth, but also accessible and fun - while keeping the stress levels to a minimum. It's also a lovely looking game still.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Really enjoyed Anno 1404, but never replayed it for some reason. I never did like the look of the more science fictiony sequels either. I played a demo of one but it didn't really capture my interest.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Yeah the sci-fi setting didn't interest me in the slightest. Never even bothered picking it up for a few quid on a sale.

It's sort of a good thing and a bad thing they hit the jackpot with 1404 and perfected the genre. There was nowhere left for them to go really.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Help me, for I have fallen into a pit of burning my free time on Second Life and Clicker Heroes.
Could these be any less "game" games?

Right. I'm gonna clear stage 600 and call it quits there. I swear!

A slightly less embarrassing game I've been trying to clear before starting the Witcher quest is Creeper World 3: Ark Eternal.
Never tried the Creeper games before, but I'm really enjoying this one with it's mix of RTS and Tower Defense. The very idea of turtling up like crazy then fending off a wall of encroaching goo is really satisfying. Haha. And with the way I like to overbuild, the maps look like avantgarde programmer art by the end.

The game also has a very dramatic, overwrought story tying it all together. Bonus points to the dev for living out their aspiring sci-fi author dreams!
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group