Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Prey
Admin

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Prey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:17 am

Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo

While everyone else is playing and might I add moaning about how unimpressive Dirt 4 looks compared to Dirt Rally I'm having fun playing the largely ignored first rally outing based on world champion Sébastien Loeb. The game was developed by long term hit and miss Milestone who made Screamer Rally and I can say with firm conviction that it is the best game they have made to date. Aside from the game having no in-game graphical options everything else delivers precisely what I want from a rally title. Loads of extremely well designed and challenging tracks. Lots of cars including my go to Ford Focus WRC 2001 and above all else a fantastic push yourself every inch of the way realistic handling model. The game even gives you the option of having your own designated driver and co-driver on the side window with which I obviously went with McRae and Grist. The best thing has to be the TV style replays though something that has always irked me with other rally games that insist on continuously switching to wheel cams, side cams, roof cams, fucking interior dash cams when all you want to see is you power sliding your barely holding together rally car around a corner in the mud as the roaring engine digs in deep. SLRE keeps it simple and gives you the best possible shot of your car and nothing else besides. Magic.

If you are a rally fan like myself and are considering buying Dirt 4 I strongly urge you to give this a try first as it only cost me something like £4 from Instant Gaming.

edit: £4.03 pence to be exact - https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/790-b ... allkeyshop

Star Wars: Battlefront

I'd avoided this game for what felt like an eternity but then right as EA were showcasing the vastly superior looking Battlefront II they slapped the price for the Ultimate Edition of the original down to just £8, that includes the base game and the entire season pass content. At first I was feeling a bit smug having bought it all for such a price when people had paid in excess of £50 at one point for it all. It started well with me geeking out a bit over playing as Vader as the game continued to download in the background deflecting rebel fire with my lightsaber. And then I played my first few matches. Oh god. Immediate flashbacks to why I detested the beta so much hit me like a Vader choke hold, those spawning points, that clunky gameplay, those watered down map sizes, that instant high level of frustration and why the fuck am I playing this???

At least the sequel looks like shaping up to be an actual Battlefront game and not whatever the hell this was intended to be. All flash and no substance. The regret it strong in this one. Yep even at just £8.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Wolfenstein The Old Blood
I haven't played the full game for a while but I don't remember it being so easy. Was The New Order also a string of arenas to battle/sprint through? 3/4 of the game is pretty good, it falls apart at the end though with the occult stuff and having to find a key to get this gate:

Even if BJ is too swole to fit through the hole he should be able to climb the built in ladder beside the gate, or is that just something those sneaky nazis would do?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 pm

Just finished DOOM, spent a lot of time smiling. Swore once when I fell through the floor.

What a hugely fun, enjoyable game.
A bit repetitive in the long run, but then you punch an imps heart out through its back and everything seems fine again...
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:50 am

Yeah it's good fun in small doses.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:11 pm

Doom hasn't appealed to me, no matter how low the price goes - and funnily enough in keeping with the theme of the discussion in general, I think that it is the last Wolfenstein that has put me there. I picked up Wolfenstein in a sale a while back, remembering how much folks on here had enjoyed it, but it just didn't click with me at all. I think my enjoyment of linear SP FPS titles is done, much as the MP variant is. I still enjoy many more open titles, but linear FPS titles just don't appeal any more.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Same as Snowy, tbh. I bought the last Wolfenstein similarly in a sale, played for maybe an hour and a half, put it down and never felt the urge to go back to it.

In terms of games I'm currently playing, about 60% of the way through the most recent Tomb Raider, and enjoying it very much. If anything, it's a lot better than the reboot that preceded it. More puzzle tombs and open areas to range about in, less quick-timey stuff. Great fun.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 pm

I just couldn't get into The New Order, but I absolutely adored Doom.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:03 pm

You are all crazy people. :)

I'm sort of the opposite at the moment. I'm done with open world games and much prefer my fps games to be story driven. The New Order was a nice balance as the levels were not just classic corridors, there were open areas as well.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Wolfenstein was great, but Doom utterly surpassed it. They;re not even that comparable, now that I think about it.
Less story to worry about. More wild ultraviolence
End of an Era

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:00 pm

I've been replaying Morrowind for the last couple of weeks, modded within an inch of its life. I still love it from top to bottom, even the bits of design that are really awful like the inventory and persuasion system, not to mention the laughable combat. What's struck me most, playing it with the hindsight of RPGs and open world games in general as of 2017, is how much it does right - arguably better than many modern games. The foremost example is its transport system. Consisting of a combination of silt striders, ships and various means of teleportation magic, it was a solution to fast travel before fast travel even existed. It works near perfectly because it forces you to travel at least some of the way to any destination without making it tedious, and those short, regular journeys not only give you a homely familiarity with the world around you but make you consider your plan of action (e.g. I've got a quest in St. Olm's canton in Vivec, so if I take the silt strider to Balmora I can sell some stuff at R'hazid's since I've got a good rep with him, then take the strider to Vivec and teleport to the temple which is near the right canton). It makes you engage with the environment, listen to directions and actually use the amazingly beautiful map. Oblivion and Skyrim both lost this to a large extent.

Morrowind is what Bethesda should be looking at when they finally start working on Elder Scrolls VI. As much as I love Skyrim and Oblivion, Morrowind is THE Elder Scrolls game to beat.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:38 pm

I still keep going back top Skyrim with different mods now and then. Still love it. Morrowind is still the bomb though.
What mods have you used?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:51 am

I am due a revisit to Skyrim for a replay soon. So many mods, it is a game that I rarely tire of.

On the whole linear FPS front, my gaming time tends to be an opportunity to switch my brain off. Story heavy games require too much investment, and also I then struggle to remember what the hell is going on when (as I inevitably do) I put it down for a while to do something else. Add to that the limitations of most story-based FPS titles - the mechanisms within then haven't evolved much and they feel a bit to me like 'played one, played them all'.

If I play something open world, I can just disengage my brain and do what I want. Maybe follow the storyline, maybe go off piste and hoon around in a car or try to climb a mountain or whatever. I am not beholden to what the game wants of me and, within reason, free to do whatever I want to do at my own pace.

This really appeals, which is probably another thing that kills off a desire to play titles where you are coming along for an exhilarating ride with the game.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:28 am

Rusty wrote:I still keep going back top Skyrim with different mods now and then. Still love it. Morrowind is still the bomb though.
What mods have you used?

I mostly just stuck with the Morrowind Overhaul, which consolidates a tonne of mods:

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36945/?

At times it looks surprisingly good. Then you look the character faces and animations and realise nothing's going to raise a 15 year old game beyond a certain standard. :lol:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:48 am

I only just played Wolfenstein lately. Shitty level design, crappy weapons, rubbish AI and real bad graphics. Didnt understand why people liked it. Then I hit the veging out section and from then out it it became a completely different game. Great fun, really enjoyed it from then till the end. I was so very close to uninstalling it too. Weird. I started the Old Blood(?) but it really didnt click. Looking forward to the new one though!

Superhot VR

Wow! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: What a great little game. It has an amazing ability to make you feel like a badass and some of the situations it drops you into are inspired.

Raw Data (VR)
This is also an incredibly cool game that gets pretty intense. Its mostly a gallery shooter but it ads in tower defence elements and other interesting twists for the SP. Theres also character classes (pistol/shotty/kitana/bow) which upgrade with XP to give you more abilities eg pistol is usually reloaded by pulling a clip off your belt and sliding it in but a later upgrade lets you reload by putting it down at the holster for a second. Been jumping into the MP now too (which seems quite active) and it becomes a king of the hill shooter. You move using the dpad which takes some queasy getting used to but if I can do it (I feel ill on the tea cups, I have an awful stomach for motion sickness) anyone can! Its a lot of fun. Pretty amusing actually lying down and being a sneaky twat ;)

Beyond Two Souls
Oh.... this is bad.... It was fun to go psycho and the arsehole teens but other than that its pretty bad! Sorry Davey Cage, it the first of your games I;m not going to finish.

Rainbow 6 Siege
Still playing a shitload of this and I'm still awful but its still fantastic!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Right, raw data on buy list...

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group