Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Jez

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Jez » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 am

Oh right you mean on steam :)

I meant on the client thing launcher that comes with the game. I'll have to link it steam then eh.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:49 am

Haha yes mate, meant Steam which I assumed you had bagged it through.

You can catch me on there and am happy to play some Warframe, but don't play it much so the chances of catching me in-game on it are more slender than Glenda :D
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:01 am

Slay the Spire

I kept seeing this popping up when I opened Steam with Dj's name alongside, so eventually curiosity got the better of me and I checked it out. And now I have discovered the gaming equivalent of crack :lol:

It's a simple enough premise - it's a rogue-like, single-player deck building game. You progress up a fantasy tower one floor at a time - they're laid out a bit like the system maps from FTL, often have a choice of which direction to take. The main difference being you can tell from the start of the act (there are three acts of 11 floors apiece) where each path will take you - the choices are a fight, fight against an elite enemy, merchant, rest, treasure chest or ?, which is most often a text-based scenario with multiple choices, some of which can be beneficial to you, others less so.

As you win fights you gain more cards for your deck, you get to choose one of three random cards. Elite enemies also drop relics as well as more powerful cards, the relics offering random buffs.

As you progress, the challenge ramps up, and being fairly RNG-based you can either become quite OP and go on to absolutely smash the final boss at the end of the third act (sorry, meant to say that at the end of each act is a boss fight) as I've done on two occasions, or be smeared into paste by an elite halfway through the second act.

A complete run will take you about 90 minutes probably, obviously less if you die earlier on, and it's very more-ish... every time I die I want to go back and try to correct what I did wrong the last time, and each time trying to hone my deck and strategies to take into account the cards and relics I've accrued during this run.

It's a very neat game, and at least one of the writers at RPS is hooked as well and they've put out a couple of good pieces on it:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... -building/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... roguelike/

It's still in Early Access, but from what I've played (about 16 hours and counting), it's basically bug-free and very, very playable now. :)
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:47 pm

It is pretty great. Have you tried the Daily Run yet?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:44 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:It is pretty great. Have you tried the Daily Run yet?

I just finished my first one!

Was pretty interesting today, you got relics rather than cards for beating normal enemies. By the end I had a really tight deck built around poison stacks, and about 30 relics causing all sorts of craziness in the battles. Managed to beat the final boss with about 6hp to spare, which I was pleased with. Then I saw that my final score of 650-odd was less than half what the people at the top of the leaderboard clocked... how do they manage that? I guess I avoided any elites as I was taking on so many normal battles.

Will be doing more of these, I've unlocked all the cards and relics for both classes now so the modifiers on the daily runs add some interest.
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Ach you bastards. Am I going to have to buy this now then?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Do iiiittttt ;)
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 am

Yeah scores are very much dependent on taking on Elites. Sounds like it was a good run yesterday, shame I missed it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:48 pm

After playing Ion Maiden, I thought it might be amusing to go check out some of the other, later Build Engine games that came out. The last two being NAM and WW2 G.I.

Got a ping on Steam saying there were on sale. 2 quid to give them a shot? What's the worst that could happen?

Woof!

I don't know if they tried too hard or not enough. :lol:

Playing the D-Day landing level is a stark reminder of just how much technology can improve. Consider Allied Assault is three years out from this point.

Should also mention that these games are bullshit hard. Murky as hell graphics with camouflaged hit scan enemies that kill you in seconds even on the lowest difficulty settings. Not sure if it was a misguided attempt at being sim-like, but it doesn't work in the slightest.

Well, that was an experience. Consider my curiosity satiated!
End of an Era

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Is that... is that... a helicopter?!

Ah the good old days. Aerodynamics be damned! :lol:

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 am

First post of the year then.

Assassin's Creed Origins

So long story short everyone knows I already bought ACO when it first released only to be punched in the balls big time with a game that wouldn't even start and as my most anticipated game of the entire year it's not difficult to admit that it was a very painful pill to swallow and as such it was high time that I took the plunge and upgraded my 10 year old (but still serving me very well) processor so that I could finally play the game I waited all year for. Being the cheapo git that I am however I did only splash out £50 to replace my 3.2GHz Phenom II with a newer AMD FX4300 Black Edition 4 Core 3.8GHz so while it's still light years behind your i7's and Raisen CPU's most importantly it has the SSE4.1 + SSE4.2 instruction set that was so desperately missing from my previous rather aged CPU.

After rebuying the game a second time might I add this time for half the price I paid for it originally (thanks Uplay sale!) lo and behold the game came alive and I have been happily playing it for the last few days and I genuinely cannot describe the feeling I felt when it booted up, I do confess I almost shed a tiny tear. Although the 4300 is still under the minimum specs I believe I'm happy to say that I can run the game at 1080p at a solid 45fps and my god does it look rather beautiful. You can have your 4K 60fps I'm more than happy with how it looks and runs and have been experiencing a delightful mix of AC Brotherhood, Black Flag Freedom Cry ft Adewale and The Witcher 3. For the first time in years AC feels like it has true purpose when playing again rather than simply hoovering up scores of icons I'm helping locales and investigating ancient crime scenes. At the 20 hour mark I can firmly say that the wait was worth it plus it helped Ubisoft sort out the 100% CPU issue many had been experiencing since launch, my CPU's hit 80-90%. Yeah the game is as demanding as everyone said but as long as you don't have stuff ramped up too far it's a very scalable game indeed compared to previous outings that had minimal tweaking options.

Spoiler: show
(I've even met characters and gained a sword and shield and a mount from Final Fantasy XV which took me completely by surprise, how I didn't read about it prior I will never know)

I do intend to do a larger write up perhaps later this evening as I've nowhere near enough coffee in me yet to tackle such a thing. I'm simply over the moon and content as a motherfucker that I will no longer be playing Russian roulette with the games I buy and only setting myself up for disappointment once again and the best thing is it only cost me a measly £50 when I had been saving hundreds of pounds to upgrade my entire machine last year. And people still say that upgrading PC's to play the latest titles is expensive, well fuck off I say. :P
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am

Excellent, it actually makes me feel happy that you can finally play this after your gaming woes :)

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:41 am

At the moment then, Vermintide 2 which I have waxed lyrical about in the thread in FPS & Action, and F1 2017 which I bagged for £13 on Steam at the weekend.

F1 2017 is a real revelation. Best F1 game I have played in years, they have really nailed just how fast F1 cars can corner and the feel of the game is superb. In addition the driver AI is very good indeed. I am about 5 races into the season on Career mode, driving for Williams and hoping to move to the red cars next season if I perform well enough. Playing races on 25% race distance, and really enjoying the game.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:50 am

Yeah, agreed. Sorry I didn't see your chat on Steam last night by the way. Wasn't being rude, I'd just left the game on the menu screen when I went down for dinner and telly :oops:
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:29 am

I played F1 2016 and it was a big improvement over previous years. I'm not sure I can justify getting 2017 as well, but it's good that there's some good F1 at the moment. :wink:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group