Steamz and moar.
Animalmother

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Animalmother » Sat May 19, 2018 10:42 am

Ah, that doesn't sound so bad then :)

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat May 19, 2018 11:38 am

Just stop playing when you kill the big robot ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 20, 2018 9:21 am

Yeah I hate the MSG games, never thought they were anything approaching genius, but MGS5 was the exception. If I could strip out all the mumbo jumbo bullshit, everything involving the Skulls and just leave it as mercenary infiltrations and missions across Afghanistan and Africa it would be perfect.

Sneaking into bases, gradually whittling away and fulton'ing the troops and gear to bolster my own numbers never got old.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun May 20, 2018 10:15 am

I on the other hand quite enjoyed the previous MGS games, but absolutely agree that the gameplay in this one is leagues ahead of the others. It feels like a true sandbox; you really can approach it how you want, either with entertaining stealth mechanics that aren't brutally difficult or punishing when you slip up, or full on Rambo-style assaults with big guns and explosives. It even has the right level of silly fun stuff the series is known for, like the leather-clad attack dog with a stun baton (that I enjoyed so much I bought the Play Arts Kai figure of him), or stealth camo, or inflatable decoy Snakes, or launching yourself toboggan style down a hill in a cardboard box...

There are a lot of problems with MGS V's story, but it's one of the most fun games I've played in years.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun May 20, 2018 10:18 am

MGS5 is another game I bounced pretty hard off :(

I wanted to like it too after all the rave reviews, but it just didn't gel with me.
My face is tired.

Mournblade
Stormbringer

Postby Mournblade » Thu May 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Some fans of the 1990 DOS version of the original Prince of Persia have remade the game for Windows, using "SDL" (whatever that is).

You can download it here and it's great.

I've been playing this a lot lately.
katarn wrote:I wonder what happened to Mournblade?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu May 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Oh man, now that was a game I sank SO much time into. The animation was light-years ahead of it's time, and the gratuitous gore never got old :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun May 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Assassin's Creed: Origins main campaign done and dusted.

Finally reached the end of AC Origins and I have to say the game has exceeded most but not quite all of my expectations. The story while nothing groundbreaking steers itself in a manner that I felt delivered come the final section but overall its the gameplay experience and the sheer step up that has been made in terms of overall level of quality, player freedom, amount of interaction and especially the combat that just comes together to make it something truly breathtaking. As with The Witcher 3 I probably spent more time coming across and then completing random side quests than I did anything else and even with this my map is still littered with the ! icons at varying levels that I somehow didn't get around to taking on. Not only that the map also has loads of locations I've still yet to even discover I'm guessing something in the region of 20-30 locations I've not even entered and I've played 106 hours of the game in total. As with W3 I never once found myself bored or with nothing to do and thus would shut the game down because I 'suddenly wasn't feeling it' and would rather be doing something else instead. I was always, always completely spoiled for choice as to just what I could do next and almost every time I was on I would end up having a 2-3 hour session without fail quite easily. Keep in mind also that although the game has been out since last year I only managed to start playing it at the arse end of March (23rd) and so to have sunk a good 100 hours in since then is, well yeah it is what it is.

I've been stopped in my tracks countless times and stopped to take photographs...

Having now reached level 45 which is the required level to start taking on the two additional DLC entries but I will say it's a little bit cheeky for you to only gain your first actually new Assassin's looking 'Hidden One' outfit once you start playing the DLC. Having also checked out the maps for the new DLC's the first one has only 3 areas while the second has 5-6 all of which are almost as large as some found in the main campaign. More importantly the same level of quality I am now used to has carried over seamlessly to them both so while I may be finished with the campaign I have so many more adventures that now await me I can't help but be a little excited. New enemies. New weapons. New outfits. New areas etc etc. Can't wait to get stuck in over the bank holiday.

It is without question my favourite AC game since I first played the original as it just brings so much to the table that elevates it above and beyond everything the series was known for previous and the fact they managed to turn it around so much after the awful Syndicate and not half bad but not quite there Unity is not something to be easily scoffed at. Everything about the game lets you know that it was a true labour of love and it shows every minute that you spend playing it and it's easily the most complete and rewarding action/rpg I've played outside the Witcher series and in many ways it gives it a true run for its money. Amazing game, worth the upgrading for.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Mournblade
Stormbringer

Postby Mournblade » Mon May 28, 2018 1:41 pm

I have been playing an indie game from Spain, called Cursed Castile (Maldita Castilla)

It's a 2D platformer where you play a Spanish knight (or man-at-arms at least) on a quest to rid the medieval Kingdom of Castile from an ancient evil, manifested in the form of various mythical monsters and evil spirits. It is supposed to be an homage to a Capcom game I have never played called Ghosts & Goblins.

It was originally a free game, and you can still download the free version from the developer's website here.

However, he made a revised edition which is for sale on Steam here, with some extra content and improvements. I think the improved version is also available for PS4.

I have only played the free version, but it is a lot of fun. I particularly like the art direction in this game; for something that deliberately looks as if it were made in the 80s, the graphics are pretty sweet!

Last edited by Mournblade on Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 28, 2018 3:06 pm

I have a key for the Steam version if you fancied it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mournblade
Stormbringer

Postby Mournblade » Mon May 28, 2018 4:09 pm

I would love that!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Have played a couple of things recently.

First up, Thimbleweed Park. It's funny how you can bounce off some games then come back later and get sucked in, happened to me here. Bought it a Steam sale or two ago, played maybe the first 30 minutes before I turned it off... there was a section of extended walking down a long road with little to do except talk to a pair of really weird characters... maybe I just wasn't in the mood then, but felt I'd seen enough.

Was desperately casting around for something new to play a week or so ago, so finally went back to this and gave it another whirl. After that road section (most of which I'd already done) the story opens up properly. It's a well-done visually retro adventure game, graphically reminiscent of old classics like Maniac Mansion and Zak McCracken. Like those you play as multiple characters, either working through their flashbacks or occasionally working together to solve puzzles. The story in the final quarter of the game went a bit left-field and meta for my taste, but overall I liked it.

Then today, had a really stressful day at work, so thought I'd work some of the tension out by buying and playing Cook, Serve, Delicious 2. Big mistake. An hour later I was a nervous wreck :lol:

Honestly it seems like a good game and a nice progression of the first, but I was not ready for it today.
My face is tired.

Mournblade
Stormbringer

Postby Mournblade » Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 pm

I've not yet purchased Thimbleweed Park. So far it's always been a bit too pricey for my liking. I'll wait until it drops severely on GOG.COM before I buy, if that ever happens.

Even then, I'm not too sure about it. It interests me because it's Ron Gilbert, and 20 years ago I used to really enjoy the Monkey Island games. Nowadays, however, I have really gone off most of the old LucasArts adventure games. The classic "quirky humour", which I adored as a teenager, no longer amuses me, and in fact I find it downright annoying. However, I'm interested enough in seeing how Gilbert makes a 90s-style game work today.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 29, 2018 9:53 pm

Mournblade wrote:I've not yet purchased Thimbleweed Park. So far it's always been a bit too pricey for my liking. I'll wait until it drops severely on GOG.COM before I buy, if that ever happens.

Even then, I'm not too sure about it. It interests me because it's Ron Gilbert, and 20 years ago I used to really enjoy the Monkey Island games. Nowadays, however, I have really gone off most of the old LucasArts adventure games. The classic "quirky humour", which I adored as a teenager, no longer amuses me, and in fact I find it downright annoying. However, I'm interested enough in seeing how Gilbert makes a 90s-style game work today.

I bought it for £7.50 I think, so 50% off. That was the cheapest I'd ever seen it, so went for it.

It's not really that humorous, I would say, in that there's not really that many gags. The one character who really gets the odd chuckle does so mainly because he swears so often (and it's always bleeped out). It's a bit odd, and sometimes the oddness is amusing, but I wouldn't say that's its main draw. I'd say it's aimed at adults more than kids, and if I had to compare it to something, I'd say it's like what you'd get if you gave Ron Gilbert the license for Twin Peaks.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 30, 2018 9:55 am

I've played a fair bit on Switch and enjoyed what I played, but it's not really hooked me in.

Moonlighter

Started playing this last night. You run a shop by day and by night you got out into the dungeons to collect items to sell in your shop. It's got a lovely art style and the combat is solid. I'm having a lot of fun with the core loop of selling stuff, using that money to buy better gear and then being able to get further in the dungeon to collect better loot. If anyone remembers Recetter it is basically that game, just better.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group