Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Mantis » Tue May 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Hating Undertale and thinking FFXV is a good JRPG on the same page? A lament for DJ please, something is clearly afflicting the poor lad.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue May 30, 2017 5:16 pm

FFXV *is* a good JRPG, assuming you don't have an incredibly restrictive view of what a JRPG is. I didn't even play it myself, I was in the same room while my partner played it for a substantial portion of her playtime.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue May 30, 2017 5:32 pm

I think you should have a fairly restrictive view of what a JRPG is, or else what is the point of defining it as a genre? If the only requisite is that it's an RPG made in Japan then I think you're missing a lot of other key elements that defines them as games, you wouldn't call Mass Effect an ARPG just because it was made in America would you?

I've not played it myself, though I want to once they've finished patching in the rest of the meat onto the story, as I do think it'll be a quite enjoyable game overall. But Square have been clearly moving more towards a western approach with the Final Fantasy series since 13 came out and have removed a lot of the features you would typically find in conventional 'J'RPGs. It seems to me that precisely the reason DJ is enjoying it is because it doesn't have the majority of gameplay elements that typically fall within the genre. The ground for calling it one is very tenuous, perhaps in name but definitely not in spirit. Doesn't impact whether the game is any good or not either.

Anyway, my post was intended as being quite jokey. Interesting point to be made deep down though on genre boundaries and the identity of a game.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 30, 2017 7:26 pm

So what makes it not a JRPG? It doesn't have turn based combat unless you turn on wait mode, or random battles, but then the Tales series has neither of these and is a JRPG series. Yeah it's set in an openworld, but I don't think that alone disqualifies it.

It still has similar stylings to previous FF game, similar story beats and a big part of a game being a JRPG I think does come from it being made in Japan as there is a certain mindset that goes along with development.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue May 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Mantis wrote:I think you should have a fairly restrictive view of what a JRPG is, or else what is the point of defining it as a genre?

I didn't say I didn't have a restrictive view, just that I didn't have an incredibly restrictive one. I've heard comments from people who think that every JRPG should be exactly like FF7, and that any move away from the ATB system means it doesn't fit their idea of what a JRPG is.

FFXV just hit a lot of the right notes for me. The combat was interesting (although I don't think it would have kept my interest for the whole 30+ hours it probably takes to complete, nevermind the 130 that my partner put in), and honestly I really liked the main characters. They felt realistic, well, realistic for a game about magic swords and teleportation and a boss the size of a mountain.

Judge Rabbi

Postby Judge Rabbi » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Completed (well, ending A) Nier Automata. Blisteringly fast combat towards the end of the game, the camera could hardly keep up! Was well good, totally recommended.
(What kind of gaming zen mode do you have to be in to complete the game on Very Hard? The one hit kill thing just seems inevitable throughout the game!)

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Judge Rabbi wrote:Completed (well, ending A) Nier Automata. Blisteringly fast combat towards the end of the game, the camera could hardly keep up! Was well good, totally recommended.
(What kind of gaming zen mode do you have to be in to complete the game on Very Hard? The one hit kill thing just seems inevitable throughout the game!)
I hope you're going back for B through E. :)
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:50 am

Rainbow 6 Siege

What a bloody great game! Picked it up on the PSN sale and have since bought the Y1 operators. Even just playing through the situations and TH it would have been worth the tenner and I nearly left it at that because ho can be arsed with other gamers? Jumped in for a few games a few days ago and I'm hooked! I wish I had a "crew to roll with" regularly but thats not going to happen with my current schedule. Its still a whole lot of fun to just jump in and play! Really like guy with the mini shield on his gun and chick woth the silenced pistol. Beartrap girl is a whole lot of fun too

I was always put off by all the accounts of hacking on the PC side ut I should have jumped in way earlier! Might even get the season 2 pass!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Nearly finished The Stick of Truth.

Man this game is absolutely outrageous. It is about as perfect a rendition of South Park in game form as they could have done. Very excited for the sequel now and all the extra elements they're going to add. I know the emphasis for this game is on the writing and humour, but I do wish it was a bit more challenging at times. Even on hardcore difficulty I've completely breezed through without any problems. Perhaps I shot myself in the foot a little by literally doing every side quest available as soon as I found them, but even the supposedly toughest battles in the game took less than a couple of minutes.

I may have to replay as a different class and only do the main story in a speed run style to try and make things tougher.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:34 pm

All enemies and bosses level with you in Stick of Truth so skipping side quests won't make the game harder.

The Talos Principle Only played an hour, I don't get it. The puzzles are far too easy to be mixed with I Am Very Smart philosophy. I might keep playing since I already passed the two week refund limit before even installing the game ¬_¬
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:02 am

Talos Principle does start of gently, but it gets progressively harder. I thought it was one of the best puzzle games released in the last few years.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Have been mucking about a little bit with Homefront: The Revolution.

Picked it up for a relative pittance the other week on recommendation from Prey (have we lost him again, btw? :cry:), and have to say it's quite fun. Took me a while to know what the heck was going on or what I was supposed to be doing, but I've spent a happy couple of hours now crawling around a devastated city and liberating various strategic locations. Haven't experienced any bugs to speak of.

I quite like the system of being able to change gun modes on the fly. Each weapon (pistol, rifle, machine gun etc) has a couple of other 'modes' you can purchase, and then equip in the field. Means my sidearm can be either a silenced pistol, SMG or just normal pistol, my rifle can become a sniper rifle at the touch of a couple of buttons etc, and then each gun can be modded with various attachments. You can only carry two guns at a time, but with the various modes it means you aren't ever stuck with something you can't use in a particular situation.

No idea what all the fume was about when this was released, it's a pretty fun game to play and can be bought for next to nothing still I think.
My face is tired.

Judge Rabbi

Postby Judge Rabbi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Subway Diet wrote:I hope you're going back for B through E. :)

That was fucking brilliant. If you ever see this message, that's me.

I think i'll play the game again.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:27 am

Sly Boots wrote:Have been mucking about a little bit with Homefront: The Revolution.

Picked it up for a relative pittance the other week on recommendation from Prey (have we lost him again, btw? :cry:), and have to say it's quite fun. Took me a while to know what the heck was going on or what I was supposed to be doing, but I've spent a happy couple of hours now crawling around a devastated city and liberating various strategic locations. Haven't experienced any bugs to speak of.

I quite like the system of being able to change gun modes on the fly. Each weapon (pistol, rifle, machine gun etc) has a couple of other 'modes' you can purchase, and then equip in the field. Means my sidearm can be either a silenced pistol, SMG or just normal pistol, my rifle can become a sniper rifle at the touch of a couple of buttons etc, and then each gun can be modded with various attachments. You can only carry two guns at a time, but with the various modes it means you aren't ever stuck with something you can't use in a particular situation.

No idea what all the fume was about when this was released, it's a pretty fun game to play and can be bought for next to nothing still I think.

Tentatively upgrading this to 'pretty bloody good, actually!'

About 8 hours in now, and having a right blast with it, I must say. Think I paid about £4 for this, bargain.

Yesterday I strapped a molotov to a radio controlled car and drove it into a group of enemies hunting for me. The resulting conflagration made me laugh like a lunatic. And in the game! :o

If I have one gripe, and it's a biggie, it's the game's insistence on referring to the enemy as 'norks'. Fuck me if that isn't an immersion-killer :lol:
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 am

Well over 100 hours into Wildlands and my enthusiasm for co-op'ing it with my buddy is showing no signs of waning. Played through the main campaign, then restarted it on the hardest difficulty. That is currently on hold while we play through the Fallen Ghosts expansion.

Bizarrely though, I picked up Steep, also from Ubi, on a free weekend and ended up buying it with 50% off for £20. Even to me this makes no sense, playing an extreeeeeme sport game (skiing, snowboarding, wingsuit and paragliding) with endless dudebro voicing and Red Bull and GoPro sponsorship as far as the eye can see, how could it possibly be enjoyable?

Well it kinda just is. You are left to your own devices, and many of the challenges are orienteering type affairs - get from here to there, and then it is up to you to do so. The graphics are pretty beautiful, and I have been enjoying it as a relatively relaxing game rather than trying to backflip off every slight incline.

Not sure it will be something I play for all that long, but I will definitely get £20 of enjoyment from it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group