Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Animalmother

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Animalmother » Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Yip, Tiamat is the first real boss you fight and thats as far as I got. The pretty awful controls didn't help the matter much.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 am

Playing Strafe (not Strife)

Aw c'mon... :(
Made a damn fool of myself by pre-ordering. Everything I had heard going in sounded positive and cool. The game itself, though, feels off. The Quake Rogue-Lite element is cool, but the enemies and weapons are a bit rubbish.
Maybe I just need some more time with it? Maybe it needs a patch or two?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 11, 2017 2:13 pm

Yeah it's disappointing. I had heard mixed stuff in previews so I put off pre-ordering and then after the reviews cam out I was glad I did.

Have you played more than 2 hours? You could just get a refund.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri May 12, 2017 4:06 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Yeah it's disappointing. I had heard mixed stuff in previews so I put off pre-ordering and then after the reviews cam out I was glad I did.

Have you played more than 2 hours? You could just get a refund.
I got it on GOG, and they don't seem as freely giving with the refunds. :(

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed May 24, 2017 7:24 am

Thought I'd give the new graphics card a work out!

Night in the Woods

Let me pitch you this: Richard Scarry does quirky coming of age indie drama about anxious 20-somethings trying to reconnect in a depressed rust belt town.
Narrative focused with light platforming, exploration, puzzles and mini-games.

Certainly hit on a few raw, emotional nerves so far, even if I can't quite relate to that specifically middle American type of angst.

Looks gorgeous too. :)

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 24, 2017 7:51 am

Undertale

So I played around forty minutes to an hour of this and just couldn't see what the big fuss was about. I think my major problem was that I didn't get on with the combat at all and it commits what I consider to be the cardinal sin when it comes to RPGs and has random combat. So when you combine the two I struggled to play much of this.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Not sure what to say, other than pointing out it's one of my most fondly remembered gaming experiences in years. Then again, that probably causes more frustration, hearing someone banging on about how great it is while not seeing the appeal.

The "mechanics" aren't great a lot of the time, but it's a story, character and vibe thing. If you've gotten to Snowdin and didn't find much charm in the game, perhaps it's not something that's going to gel.

Side note: Playing more NitW. Oh dear. These people really need hugs. :(

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Yeah I understand that I might be an outlier, but I think even if the story had grabbed me more the gameplay would still have put me off.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed May 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Did you actually fight the enemies during the random battles? A huge part of the game is whether you fight your way through every battle or take a considerably... different approach. It's like playing two completely separate games.

Doesn't change the fact that random encounters still occur while you're wandering the map, but at least it's not your standard JRPG style combat if you so choose.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Yeah I did both.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu May 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Finished Night in the Woods.

Really enjoyed that. Even if the friggin thing sent me off into throat lump territory.
It's not a sad game, you know?It doesn't try and crank up the melodrama (at least not in the interpersonal character moments). It's all just... tragically grounded.

I dunno. Some scenes reminded me how I've felt in the past. Some scenes reminded me how I currently feel.
But, for real, it's a good 'un. Don't mind my post game depression. You know how it is when a really good game finishes. :oops:

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat May 27, 2017 7:04 am

So, I just ploughed through What Remains of Edith Finch.

That didn't exactly help my sombre mindset. 8-[
For an imaginative, bittersweet walk-n-talk, it was rather good.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue May 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Injustice 2
Finished the story and I'm done with it. I pretty much hate all the characters and I hate the loot system (level requirements and the actual opening of the chests are a tedious nightmare). The story was just irritating because they're all bastards and not in a cool way. Its pretty good for the first 2/3 but the end is pretty bad! I do like that they kept it in the darker dimension because I did think they would follow the good guys back to nice town after Injustice 1. I love the Injustice setup but the actual execution is just not there story wise. If we're ranking it on fighting game storys its top 3 right enough! It doesnt help that DC characters are mostly all shit. Id like to see Nether do this with Marvel but also with a different fighting engine. Theres a lot of stuff packed into it and I thought I was going to get right into the gear aspect but nope! I'm done! If they carry this stuff onto MKXI I hope they refine it a whole lot.

Another World
What a brilliant, inventive, cinematic masterpiece this is. Yes its cheap and a bit clunky but the "puzzles" are well designed and the set pieces are just amazing. Even now, almost a quarter if a century on it still got me going "yas!" on a few bits. I think this is the first time Ive finished it and the end is a bit crap but overall, what a game! Its really what Playdead have been aspiring to.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue May 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Bounced off Horizon: Zero Dawn real hard.

Wasn't that grabbed by the setting. Wasn't that interested in the game play. The real sealer of the deal was just how damn talky everyone is. Nattering on for ages and ages, my eyes glazing over all the while.
And, to top it off, when I wasn't try to rush past conversations, the main character was constantly talking to herself. Give it a rest!

So, yeah. Perhaps it gets better the further into the open world part of the game you get, but those opening hours did nothing for me.

It looked really pretty. Got that going for it, at least.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 30, 2017 3:49 pm

FFXV

Oh look a JRPG that isn't terrible right out of the gate...

I jest, but I was surprised at how much I am enjoying it. Yeah it has issues like a fairly empty world and annoying characters, but the combat is fun and I've enjoyed playing with the games systems and exploring the world. Will be interesting to see if the game can sustain that, only put in around 3hours so far so it's very early days.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group