Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:I've played a fair bit on Switch and enjoyed what I played, but it's not really hooked me in.

Moonlighter

Started playing this last night. You run a shop by day and by night you got out into the dungeons to collect items to sell in your shop. It's got a lovely art style and the combat is solid. I'm having a lot of fun with the core loop of selling stuff, using that money to buy better gear and then being able to get further in the dungeon to collect better loot. If anyone remembers Recetter it is basically that game, just better.

Saw this on RPS earlier, though I've not read their article as yet. I freaking loved Recettear though, so that has certainly piqued my interest.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 30, 2018 10:43 am

I think it's much better than Recettear, the combat and look are both much more up my alley.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 30, 2018 10:54 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:I think it's much better than Recettear, the combat and look are both much more up my alley.

I've wishlisted, but think will wait for a discount of some kind as trying to rein in my spending at the moment. It sounds interesting, but some comments in the reviews about bugs and a bit of work maybe needed on the end-game stuff make me think there'll be some updates incoming.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:38 am

The Crew 2 *closed beta*

Having played the closed beta myself for the last two days I can honestly say taking the game away from being mainly about simply driving in a car has all but ruined it. The flying and boat sections are some of the most boring game content I think I've ever had the displeasure to play and even the car driving is not that fun as the games map seems to think that the world is completely flat. The only positive I can really offer is that it is extremely well optimised and ran really well for me on Ultra settings 60fps on nothing but a GTX 960 and an old AMD FX CPU. Sure the first time you change from a car to a plane to a boat on the fly is cool and all but you will be getting back into your car sharpish once you realise just how tedious the plane and boat races are we are talking literally a path of water with no bounding water to bounce off, a few jumps and an almost completely singular direction design. In the air is pretty much the same do a loop do a barrel roll now do another loop wooooooo, no. I spent more time in my car because that to me is the heart and soul of a true Crew experience seeing other racers zooming past you in their own vehicles and joining in with them as you cascade your way down busy streets avoiding traffic at break neck speeds. At one point I was riding down a street and a guy suddenly appeared next to me in a plane and started driving down the road right next to me, er hi what do you want...I don't know. Oh you want me to change to a plane? No thanks.

All this game has done is made me appreciate the likes of Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2 even more the latter now being 7 years old and still completely rips this far more technologically advanced game to fucking bits. It also suffers from the exact same problems Dirt 3 suffered from that is all dudebrahbrofisting and social media centric ala MORE FOLLOWERS YOU ARE NOW EVEN MORE VALIDATED and it is rammed down your throat nigh on constantly. I played the original game for close to something like 85 hours and it was at least fun but after just two hours of playing this I was bored out of my mind.

Technically impressive as it may be it has seemingly lost everything else that made the original what it was. And you were doing so well Ubisoft.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:59 am

I tried some this morning. Thought the car racing was fine, the boat racing was just car racing on the water and the planes while at least controlling differently were not really interesting to me. The biggest turn off though was the whole aesthetic and feel, so Bro heavy and obnoxious.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 pm

The Forest

Returned to this game as it was finally out of EA a little while back and it's been worth the wait :)

Lovely little survival game with Lovecraftian evil monsters and cannibals. Watching your hunger/thirst/temperature levels with a lot of ways to combat it from hunting/growing/crafting and even cannibalism if you wish :P

Game performance has been vastly improved for me since I played the EA. Story is pretty good but cliche. Kept me interested though with it feeding me bits of information as I got further. The sounds still creep me out when in the dark or in caves, love it.
They've added in a lot more stuff to build since my last play. Still horrible fiddly at times and sometimes not making any sense. Forcing me to read/watch youtube for better understanding of it. It's still fiddly and cumbersome at times.

But if you stick to the prefabs then you won't have too much troubles.

Added in some new mobs to fight. Overall would say it's a good 80ish % game if I was to score it. Certainly got my money's worth out of it with 107 hours :)

Now that I unlock Creative for my next play through I can go nuts in building stuff :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:21 am

After all the fuss about Sega's update to their classic games collection, I thought I would give Golden Axe another spin.

I've had it on Steam for a few years now, but a while ago (like a year or two) it seemed to stop working on my machine, much to my (and my sons') chagrin.

However, I managed to get it going again last night so I've been enjoying that. Such a classic. I think the boys and I will have a lot of fun with that at the weekend.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:13 am

So for the last few days I've been playing Cultist Simulator... and trying to work out how to best describe it.

The elevator pitch would be that it's a roguelike tabletop card game (single-player), heavily influenced by Lovecraftian themes.

The idea is that you start out as someone who starts to uncover dark secrets, establishes a group of followers based on unlocking those secrets, while earning money to keep you alive, fund research and expeditions to recover arcane artefacts, all while evading the authorities, fighting illness and despair, unlocking research... honestly there is a lot going on.

The thing that makes it a hard game to recommend is that in pure gameplay terms it's very simple in theory. You drag cards onto various timers (each one representing a verb like 'work' or 'study' or 'explore'), which run down at the end spit out other cards that may have interesting or essential effects. At a very basic level, you would have a job card of some kind. You drag this onto your 'work' timer, and some point later (generally 60s) it spits out some money. You can drag the card you discovered for an occult bookstore to the 'explore' timer, add some coin to make a purchase, and 30s later receive a random text you can then drag to your 'study' time to unlock the research.

Mechanically, that's it. However, I would file it under 'quick to learn, hard to master', as while you start out with a relatively small collection of cards and timers, these increase rapidly, with so many different potential combinations, that it can be challenging to stay on top of. Fortunately, you can press space to pause the game at any time, while reading your cards and flavour text and work out what you want to do next.

Everything takes place in your imagination as well. There's some atmospheric music, but that's it. However, while that might sound off-putting, after some time playing a funny thing happens and you really do feel the story behind of your character through the cards and interactions on the board.

I've played four rounds now, each with a different character and outcome. If I might demonstrate the game by talking through what happened with each one.

- First 'descent': the aspirant. I started off as a lowly clerk in a local firm, trudging through each day at work for meagre pay, before hearing rumours of a mysterious bookstore somewhere in the city. I studied the rumour until I worked out where it could be found, then used my small amount of savings to make a purchase. I ran back home and studied this text, eventually learning of a mysterious unearthly secret. The next day I came into an inheritance, and I invested my new-found wealth into further texts and uncovered additional secrets. Excited by discoveries I couldn't help talking about them in public, which drew the attention of like-minded individuals. After spending some time with them they came to believe the same things I did, and for a while I sent them on exploratory missions around the city, finding a number of different places that might contain artefacts key to unlocking darker truths. My actions earned me notoriety, and soon a hunter from the Bureau was on my trail, slowly assembling evidence to implicate me. My attempts to silence them, first by destroying the evidence and then through assassination were met with failure, the latter costing me one of my followers. Alarmed, I launched an expedition to one of the artefact sites with my remaining minion, which drained me of nearly all my money (by now I'm working feverishly to try to support my extra-curricular activities), before ending in failure and killing them. By now I was sick, failing to grasp the meaning of my afflictions in time to do anything about them. Shortly before I succumbed to them, I was hauled before the courts, the smug hunter presenting the dossier they'd carefully assembled. I was prepared for jail, only to somehow be exonerated and freed. i died of my sickness the next day, a free man but one also racked by regrets.

- Second 'Descent': I was a policeman, investigating the death of the aspirant who'd previously evaded justice. I went to work, interviewing a suspect but failing to crack them. I found my dossier of information all about the aspirant, but rather than sink myself into the depths of his madness I chose to burn the file instead. I sleep the sounder for it, my dreams untroubled. Over the course of many days I eventually break my suspect, though I'm not convinced how involved they were in the vile plot, but I'm rewarded with a promotion and end my days a success in my field, but ultimately forgotten.

- Third 'Descent': I am a wealthy socialite, who dedicates myself to painting, supporting myself through my inspired artworks. When my thoughts eventually turn to the occult, my wealth is quickly swallowed by the depths of my research, so I take a junior clerk's position at a local firm. I slowly gather secrets and begin to build my cult, even finding some wealthy patrons to offer me commissions. Needing ever greater resources I pour my energies into my job, gaining a promotion despite a demanding boss who constantly finds fault with my work. When he retires I'm offered a senior position and, excited by my success I pour my passion (one of your personal resource cards) into the role. To my surprise I'm satisfied with this work and abandon my occult research, and eventually retire a happy man (nb: I was really pissed off at this as I was making great headway in my cult research... I had literally no idea advancing so far into my day job would end the run :( )

- Fourth 'Descent': I am a surgeon who in the course of my work stumbles onto the research of the wealthy socialite-cum-senior clerk. I'm careful this time, remaining diligent at work but not over-reaching myself, carefully investing my income into occult research, gaining followers, accepting commissions and evading the hunter sent to bring me down. A few bad rolls later and I die of despair :lol:

So, four attempts, two rather unsatisfying 'wins' and a generally interesting time.

If you're the sort of person who doesn't mind creating their own narratives for games and able to see past the visual and mechanical simplicity, then it could be worth checking out.
My face is tired.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 am

I think I would rather play that sort of game as an actual card game, rather than a card game on a computer, if you know what I mean.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am

Mournblade wrote:I think I would rather play that sort of game as an actual card game, rather than a card game on a computer, if you know what I mean.

Maybe, although there's a lot of (seemingly) random timers that kick off at various times, that would be hard to simulate. I say seemingly, as I haven't quite worked out yet if it's something I'm doing that's causing them to happen.

For example, the despair timer kicks in at random points, and if you've accrued any Dread cards through your activities, it automatically grabs them, a timer ticks down, then if you have another it grabs them... and if it picks up three it's game over. The way to beat that is through randomly generated Contentment cards, which nullify one of the Dread cards it's already collected. That's what killed my last character, I just couldn't generate Contentment through activities I'd reliably drawn them through previously.

It eventually reaches a point of such complication, with so many different timers all over the place and random effects being caused, I think to try to do it all yourself without the computer's automation of a lot of its functions would drive you insane (though thematically that would be quite fitting :lol: )
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:29 pm

God Of War: Worf And Alexander Climb A Mountain
Finished. I described it as Darksiders made by Naughty Dog but the writing, especially of BOY! doesn’t live up to that. It’s good, it’s a graphical and technical showcase but it’s not this gens Last Of Us or other silly things I’ve seen tossed around.

There is a lot of content in there, I feel it must have took me 20-25hours to finish and there’s still 2-3 realms I haven’t even visited yet not to mention the side quests and remaining Valkyrie. I’d wager there’s another 10 hours at least in there. That said, towards the last 5 or so hours I dropped it to easy because I just wanted to finish it but that speaks more to my impatience than a knock against the game.

No question it’s by far the best the series has ever been.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:05 pm

eVoL wrote:God Of War: Worf And Alexander Climb A Mountain

Teal'c and Rya'c, surely, given that Kratos is now voiced by Christopher Judge.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Nah, the dynamic is almost note for note Worf and Alex and just as annoying at times. Chris Judge was a perfect cast though.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Diablo II

This game's been on my mind lately. Until tonight, I'd not played it for years (I've lost count how many). I decided to go to Blizzard's store and see if you could still purchase it. Turns out you can, so I did.

I can't actually believe it still works on Windows 10, and just how much fun it is! The attention to detail, and just how well it has aged, are staggering to me.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:20 am

Still have the box somewhere just don't have a wired up dvd-rom player to install it from. Wonder if I can register my number on the blizzard store?

Who am I kidding? I'll never bother. I still play Diablo 3 on and off.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group