Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Snowy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:21 am

My co-op buddy and I have been playing the expansion to Dying Light, and trying to work out why it got good reviews. The base game was superb, visceral zombie-battering and parkour.

The expansion takes away the joy of movement that the first captured so well, relegating you to a buggy to traverse endless swathes of the map. Mission-wise it’s OK, although you have gone from the believable Negan-style gangs of the original villain Rais to some kind of hippy dippy cult.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 am

Horizon

This is a great game that I wish didnt have the Farcry 3 bullshit. I'm looking forward to the next mission and I want to keep playing it but I really dont want to have to traverse the stupid map. The game I want is based on Farcry, not Farcry 3. Linear yet massively open. Fighting the robots is a whole lot of fun, the story seems interesting and it looks lovely but I just feel like I'm wasting so much time traversing the world. If you do like the open world stuff I'm pretty confident that this is the game for you, if you dont it might still be worth a play but at a lower price down the line.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 pm

I've heard good things about it from a lot of people but from what I've seen online it looks pretty similar to every other open world game with the overbearing UI throwing up markers and waypoints telling you where to go and what to do constantly.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:54 pm

It feels very much like a £20 game.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Mantis wrote:I've heard good things about it from a lot of people but from what I've seen online it looks pretty similar to every other open world game with the overbearing UI throwing up markers and waypoints telling you where to go and what to do constantly.

You can customise the UI to show markers at every turn or just a destination marker. You can also customise the HUD itself to show what you want when you want it. Its a good system.

DjchunKfunK wrote:It feels very much like a £20 game.

:lol:

Ok... you're a lunatic. In no way what so ever, does it feel like any kind of a budget game.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:17 pm

In that a game I pick up when it hits £20. Not a budget game. :D

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:In that a game I pick up when it hits £20. Not a budget game. :D

Ahhhhh, gotcha! :lol:

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:44 pm

eVoL wrote:Strife was so good. There's one memorable bit that was amazing at the time.... maybe less so now :p

Aye I can't be even sure what part you meant there as they've been all been pretty much used in later games. Especially Deus Ex in my opinion. That seems to have borrowed pretty heavily from the overall theme of Strife.
Still was a good bit of backstabbing and choices but I did find the ending rather weak or well I did get the bad ending I suppose :P

I'll have to do another play through at some point and aim for the good one. Then use some sort of walk through if not.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:45 pm

There's a bit where you assault the base with a bunch of friendly npcs fighting alongside you and I remember that being mind blowing at the time. I'd never seen it before or for quite some time after.

Trying to think of other early games that did that..... hmm

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:56 pm

In a bit of a lull, I just did a replay of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, having picked it up for a few squid in a recent GOG sale.

Have to say, despite looking like a dog and the combat basically being a bit shit... it is still highly playable. In fact I ended up getting sucked into it all over again and blasting through it over the course of about three days. One of those that really is greater than the sum of its parts.

Although I didn't play as a Malkavian this time, I still remember my playthrough as one quite vividly... it's quite the thing.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:59 pm

eVoL wrote:There's a bit where you assault the base with a bunch of friendly npcs fighting alongside you and I remember that being mind blowing at the time. I'd never seen it before or for quite some time after.

Trying to think of other early games that did that..... hmm

Oh yea that part isn't that far into the game and yea now you mention it that wasn't copied for a long time in games. Also nice that the level layout was changed slightly to show off the base assault damage

Spoiler: show
Did think you were meaning the whole betrayal/double crossings going on and the humans being turned into machines aspect
Formerly MrAnnoyed

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:24 am

It was a special wee game that nobody seemed to play because they whinged about it being Doom engine when much more "advanced" things were coming out around that time. The only other game they made was Alice so.... 100% hit rate? ;)

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Party Hard

Got this off GoG today for feck all. Very similar to Hotline Miami but with even more basic graphics. Everything takes place on a single screen and you have to kill everyone without being arrested or killed yourself. You can set off environmental traps and create accidents. Enjoying it so far but I think it could get a bit tedious after a short time (replaying the same level over and over gets old quick).

Worth a look as its currently so cheap at the moment.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:22 am

I've played a fair bit of Party Hard and you are right it does get tedious after a while. It's a game best played in short burst and it can be a lot of fun that way.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:50 pm

You ever finish it Dj?

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group