Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 am

It is rather pretty though isn't it.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:01 pm

No?

:?

Monsters look decent but everything else looks pretty naff. I remember Lost Planet looking better..... I know it didnt but dont tarnish my memories! Now if they combined Lost Planet and Monster Hunter :-k

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:26 pm

I saw a vid with Angry Joe playing it and thought 'meh' (didn't even make it through to the end of the vid honestly).

I had no idea this was a 'thing', though. Hadn't really heard of it apart from that.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:01 pm

I think a lot of the hype around it is simply from the fact that this is the first significant release the series has ever had on the major consoles.

I played the open beta a couple of weeks ago and didn't really get on with it either. The controls were quite cumbersome, the interface too messy and I'm moving further away from these 'grind for fun' style games as time goes on.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:06 pm

I think it's more to do with it being a good game which has done away with a lot of the nonsense you used to get with a Monster Hunter game. It's not perfect and still has some rough edges, but I'm really enjoying it. It's also an amazing co-op game.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Subnautica

It wasn't really on my radar, but all the positive coverage following its launch a week or so ago intrigued me, so took the plunge for the £20 on Steam. Enjoying it so far, haven't started on a base or anything yet but scavenging various resources from the local cave systems, have most of my tools now and fixed up the radio. Looks like the story wants me to visit another pod to find survivors so that's the next step.

I've died a few times already, from those exploding fish you seemingly can't avoid! I've got flippers now to swim a bit faster so hopefully I can outrun them now.
My face is tired.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:55 pm

I still get caught with the little mini hand held sub thing. They're bastards those fish.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Rusty wrote:I still get caught with the little mini hand held sub thing. They're bastards those fish.

Damn. Oh well, at least you can go back to retrieve the stuff you dropped, and as far as I can tell they don't respawn unless you restart the game.

My best death came when I was feverishly firing off the fire extinguisher I'd kept in my inventory for some reason, in the vain hope of pushing it away. It was unsuccessful :lol:

It's a nice game, though. Can't think of anything quite like it, and looking forward to building a base at some point.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm

you cant outrun them, but they arent very nimble - when they come for you face them and sidestep them, they cant turn to catch you and end up swimming off and exploding - works at least half the time for me.

Start building a base Sly, the game really opens up once you start that and doing the pods. Also youll notice some cloudy haze patches on the horizon here and there - head towards them and have a look ;)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Jez wrote:you cant outrun them, but they arent very nimble - when they come for you face them and sidestep them, they cant turn to catch you and end up swimming off and exploding - works at least half the time for me.

Start building a base Sly, the game really opens up once you start that and doing the pods. Also youll notice some cloudy haze patches on the horizon here and there - head towards them and have a look ;)

Ah, good tip, thanks Jez, I'll give that a go.

I did build the tool for building a base, and excitedly went off to the sea bed to give it a go, but after laying my first foundation tile it seems like my only other blueprints are for tunnels. I was hoping if I progress the story a bit (ie going to visit the other crashed pods) I might get some additional blueprints for rooms and the like?
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:51 pm

I know the main one you'll be missing mate :)

You just need to scan all the debris you can find in general to get blueprints. BUT the one you are missing which creates rooms can be found by going looking at that haze I spoke about. From memory the one that can be seen on the horizon aft quadrant of the crashed starship. You'll be better off looking for this once you've built the seamoth. Great little vehicle.

Head to the haze! :)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Jez wrote:I know the main one you'll be missing mate :)

You just need to scan all the debris you can find in general to get blueprints. BUT the one you are missing which creates rooms can be found by going looking at that haze I spoke about. From memory the one that can be seen on the horizon aft quadrant of the crashed starship. You'll be better off looking for this once you've built the seamoth. Great little vehicle.

Head to the haze! :)

Ah! Will do! :)
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Found it. Pretty cool :o
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 pm

It's good isn't it. Love the little stories you find there and breadcrumbs to new places. Did you get a scan of the room for your building project?

Really fancy a mess around with it tonight from reading this but I want smash in some more bf1 DLC.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Jez wrote:It's good isn't it. Love the little stories you find there and breadcrumbs to new places. Did you get a scan of the room for your building project?

Really fancy a mess around with it tonight from reading this but I want smash in some more bf1 DLC.

Yeah, spent some time crawling over the island scanning everything I could find, including the three habitats, got some good blueprints to try out now next session.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group