Rusty

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Rusty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Sounds like They are Billions. Might have a look at this Creeper world thing

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 am

Picked up Assassin's Creed: Rogue in the Steam sale for a few quid, and have been messing about with it over the last week or so.

It's pretty good. I kind of burned out midway through Black Flag and haven't played an AC game since, so enough time has passed to enjoy this one. It's pretty good so far, and seems to be a fair bit shorter than other iterations (in 9 hours of play I'm apparently over 20% completed), which will probably help ensure it doesn't outstay it's welcome either.

Worth what I paid so far, in any case.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Pyre

So, I have a mixed relationship with Supergiant's catalogue of games. I thought Bastion was great, but didn't really like Transistor and Pyre sort of sits in the middle. It's basically a visual novel in which you play some space basketball. The world they create is rich and detailed with art and music that is in places very good indeed and really compliments the world. You don't really interact with the world directly that much and only get to see one part of it, the Downside, but they do a good job of giving you enough information about the Commonwealth to allow your imagination to fill in the rest. It has a great cast of characters, some of the best I've seen in a game for a while, who are well written with unique personalities and who each have their own story to tell which is ultimately resolved is some way over the course of the game.

The only issue I had is that the space basketball isn't that fun to play. It's OK and at the start even enjoyable, but as the game progresses and I played more, I became tired of it and ended up turning the difficulty down so I could get through it quicker. I might be alone here though as most other people I know who have played the game quite enjoyed the sport.

Even though the space basketball was a bit of a letdown I still think it was well worth playing through for the story and experiencing the world. Despite sometimes missing on the gameplay elements, Supergiant are capable of creating some magnificent worlds.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Dungeons of Dredmor

Bought this yonks ago but only played it for half an hour. Having a proper bash at it now.

It's quite a fun dungeon crawler, I'm trying out a dual-wielding barbarian build to start with. Currently at level 4.

Shame they couldn't change the graphics to show what kit you're wearing, but I know it was made on a budget.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am

Youre Mr Opposite! The levels are zero fun to explore and I just wanted to get through to the next story section. If 3 is just cutscenes with an occasional dialogue tree I'm fine with that ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:33 am

eVoL wrote:Youre Mr Opposite!

:|
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:38 am

katarn wrote:Dungeons of Dredmor

blah blah blah..

Okay, so I just uninstalled this in a fit of pique.

I went in to one of those mysterious portals on level 6 but there was no way out, plus you only get one savegame slot which was after I'd entered the portal, so game over. It's a common bug apparently.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:53 am

katarn wrote:
katarn wrote:Dungeons of Dredmor

blah blah blah..

Okay, so I just uninstalled this in a fit of pique.

I went in to one of those mysterious portals on level 6 but there was no way out, plus you only get one savegame slot which was after I'd entered the portal, so game over. It's a common bug apparently.

Man, that's irritating. Not played it myself, will continue to skip it I think.

In my gaming news, I'm still plugging away at AC: Rogue, and still enjoying it. I've completed all the settlements, forts and gang headquarters so in my mind that 100%ing the map, as I have no intention of hunting down all the Animus fragments and chests that little the ocean and remote beaches. Have also fully upgraded the ship and my tools, though the only one I ever really use are the berserk darts that both amuse and provide the most reliable means of clearing out bunches of enemies from cover.

So, with that in mind I'm apparently 73% of the way through the game in 41 hours played, though as I've probably only got the rest of the story missions to go now I expect that'll end up being 50 in total to finish the game.

It's good, a worthy successor to Black Flag, I'd say. But with fewer of the wretched "follow this person without being detected and then eavesdrop on their conversation" missions that annoyed me in BF.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:37 pm

I didn't miss any of the crazy guns in Wolf 2. I thought the combat was fine, but the lack of hit detection was a big issue and yes the signposting is really bad. I can't agree about the story though, I think it was one of the best stories of last year and had some really great characters and some crazy scenes. They just need to fix the combat for 3.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Man, that's irritating. Not played it myself, will continue to skip it I think.

I mean, it's a roguelike - so normally I wouldn't mind restarting and trying again, etc. But when you can't continue because of a glaring bug (especially when you've built up some great equipment and are currently dominating enemies) it becomes very irritating.

Eh. I might reinstall it again after a while and try a different character build. And stay away from fucking portals.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:49 pm

katarn wrote: And stay away from fucking portals.

Advice to live by.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:19 pm

What advice did I give you about PREY .... Prey????

Get strength to max and throw heavy stuff at things...It's better than bullets and you don't run out :)

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:50 pm

You get more health in Wolfenstein 2 later on, it sounds like you got up to the part I did where I felt the game is just dreary but it definitely goes completely mad later. BJ's house is the turning point.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Oh by God is it.......

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:11 am

Monster Hunter World.

I dont understand!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really dont understand why people like this much less love it obsessively.I dont understand why they like the combat. I dont understand why they put up with the writing. I dont understand why the grinding is fun. I dont understand pretty much anything about this game!

I DONT UNDERSTAND! :-s ](*,) 8-[ :( :cry:

Kids these days......
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group