Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Note to self... turning on Civ V 'just for an hour' before trying to be productive is a terrible, terrible idea >_<
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:08 pm

It could have been worse. It could have been Football Manager.

Civ and FM, truly the kings of the one-more-turn life destroyers.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Ghost of a Tale

I picked this up in EA, but didn't put a lot of time into it then because as a narrative-driven game I didn't want to spoil it for myself for the full release. Then upon release read some comments about bugs and issues so I put off playing again for a while. There's been lots of updates since it's release in March, so I decided to finally get money's worth from a game I paid for about two years ago :lol:

And I'm glad I did. If I had to sum it up in a few words, I'd say it's charming AF. And graphically it might be one of the best-looking games I've ever played, while performance-wise it's as smooth as silk.

It's basically a stealth-oriented (for the first half anyway) action-RPG. You play a mouse that's been locked up in a castle dungeon for crimes unknown, then you make your escape from your cell and try to work out why you ended up there and try to reunite with your wife, whereabouts unknown.

The main thing is you're a tiny mouse and the guards are all big rats, so you have to sneak around them as you navigate yourself around this huge keep and surrounding areas, hiding in cupboards and barrels, timing your forays out and when all else fails running away for something to hide in after you've been spotted.

There are light puzzles, item collection, NPCs to speak with, quests, costumes to collect (which are all equally adorable) that actually have relevance to the gameplay, granting you access to certain quests or areas.

It's all set within this castle, and a couple of other areas, but it's huge. Despite walking its halls for the 9 hours it took to complete over and over again I'd still regularly get lost. And it has the same map density as Dark Souls, in that you're forever opening up little secret doorways that take you back to areas you've visited previously, granting future shortcuts.

Some of the quests eventually get a bit fetch-questy, but given the game only last 9 hours it doesn't outstay its welcome by any means.

I really enjoyed it. I've seen it on sale on a few sites for as little as £12 and for that price it's highly recommended.

I don't know why more people aren't playing it. If you've been interested but have held off after reading about the aforementioned issues on launch, then it's all working perfectly now.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Doom (2016) I did originally buy this on release, but for some reason stopped about two thirds of the way through. I recently started again from scratch, and ploughed through the majority of the game over the weekend, finally finishing it tonight. My word, what a truly superb single-player game (not to slight the multiplayer, I'm just not interested). A game has to be pretty incredible to keep my attention long enough to finish it these days - I can't emphasize quite how few games I've finished in recent years. Hell, I think this may well be my absolute favourite FPS, like, ever.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:44 am

Yes indeed. It was a great game that kind of came from nowhere on release if I remember right.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Iconoclasts

This one went on a bit longer than I expected, clocked 11 hours in total. It's a Metroidvania/puzzle platformer with a lovely look to it and some cracking music. I mostly enjoyed my time with it, it had an interesting if convoluted story, which wasn't helped by the dodgy translation (it's made by one Swedish guy which explains some of the strange language used), some fun combat and a nice variety of bosses which were not too punishing.

My main issue is something I eluded to in the first sentence, it just goes on too long. A number of times towards the end I felt that I was fighting the final boss only to find the game still had more levels to play. I think I went through this about three times in total. These things can be good fun if used correctly, but if not it really saps your enjoyment and can sour the whole experience. Thankfully I got enough enjoyment out of the game prior to the ending and there were some nice story touches at the end as well. It could just have done with ending about an hour or so earlier than it did.

Overall it's a decent game with some flaws and whilst being very similar to Owlboy in terms of both structure and the time it spent in development, it's nowhere near as good a game.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Previous

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group