Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
eVoL

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby eVoL » Sat May 05, 2018 5:53 am

Nier Automata
Man fuck Giant Bomb. :( Bought this specifically because of how much they went on about it and it’s utter dogshit! I don’t care how good the story is the third time you play through when the actual game is this bad. The combat is pretty boring and tedious which I could forgive on its own. Add in the worst map design I can recall this side of the PS2 with the worst minimap, tedious MMO style quests, invisible walls fucking everywhere and the fact that it is ass ugly to the point that with the exception of the character models it might as well be an uprezzed PS2 game. EDF has better looking environments!

I don’t know how people figured out that the story gets good on the third play through when the gameplay is such hot garbage. I have a pretty high tolerance for bad games, hell I love quite a few bad games but I really can’t stand tedious games and by god Japan is the king of that shit. It had been mostly confined to the worst genre on the planet (the JRPG) but it’s spreading. We need to contain it before it’s too late.

Also, when I got really annoyed with it I noticed holding both sticks down for 5 seconds triggers self destruct. Good way to end my misery I guess.... but no! All it does is explode your skirt off and leave you hobbling around in your undies! Maybe if they had put more effort into the map design and less into making your lady’s sexy walk extra sexy and her butt extra peachy post “self destruct” there could have been something ok here but maaaaaan stay away from this if you at all value your time or your life.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat May 05, 2018 7:14 am

Sooo... 7/10?
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat May 05, 2018 7:51 am

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat May 05, 2018 10:02 am

See? People should listen to Abby.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat May 05, 2018 10:53 am

Very often truth.

Or never listen to Alex.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat May 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Sound advice. :)

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun May 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Just finished playing through Chuchel with the wee man. Well I say playing really I watched while he played, but you get the idea. Incidentally it was the first game he finished all by himself without any help from me. Granted its not the longest of games, but I was proud of him none the less.

Another fantastic piece of point-and-click work from Amanita Design. Beautiful, funny and surprising throughout that somehow makes trial and error fun. While it may not have the challenge of their older games it maintains a gentle difficulty curve that never gets in the way of the game. Full of wonderful and intricate scenes that demand exploring, first rate music and truly exceptional little characters. It was a frustration-free joy to play and when was the last time you could say that about a point and click game.

My house is now adorned top to bottom with numerous drawings of Chuchel and his eclectic menagerie of chums and its all the better for it.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 07, 2018 8:35 am

I felt the exact same way eVol, never even made it that far through my second playthrough. I think in a game in which you want the player to playthrough the game multiple times it's a major design flaw to make the gameplay so boring.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Quantum Break

For a game that was once listed with a £50 price tag finally seeing it come down to a sub £7 price tag meant I could pick it up without being too bothered if it as short as many had made it out to be. not only is the game incredibly short but it's also the most boring shooter imaginable and this is even with all the time bending pulava it incorporates into it that was meant to be its biggest one true selling point. What starts out as a pretty intriguing Remedy title slowly but surely descends into a venture in total banality within the first few hours and the way it does it is truly minblowing. Is it just me or does the game just look not all that great either? I'd seen a few screenshots but upon playing it the game just looks like its covered in some form of oily substance which only serves to make everything look low res and without a decent high texture looking surface in sight. I tried to get into the story but it just didn't grip me and for a game that was once deemed to be Microsoft's most ambitious release it somehow felt like the most generic TPS I'd played in quite some time. It's just all very meh and so so wanted it to be something noteworthy.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 pm

God Of War
Pretty much couldnt stand any of the previous games. One of the few series that I can kind of understand the "lets play" pish because it lets you see the spectacle without the tedium of mashing square. This on the other hand I'm quite enjoying so far. Its very pretty, probably not quite Uncharted but the whole zero loading one camera for the whole game is really really impressive. It has some great style, some decent writing so far and Christopher Judge is an excellent pick to voice him. I think its pretty clear that Santa Monica played a lot of Last Of Us and Darksiders and thought, "lets smash them together!". The combat is quite fun, a lot of dodging and counterhitting and less juggles. Actually, the only thing I really think is bad is the unlocking sealed chests/doors which involves hunting through the level looking for three glowing letters and smashing them and theres no real way to find them other than walking around like an eejit scanning your view over the environment.

Oh and Kratos is a dickhead. Such a fucking dickhead.

tldr: This is Darksiders as made by Naughty Dog.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri May 18, 2018 7:25 am

Machiavillain

This was a bit of an impulse buy, saw it on a random browse of a Steam queue (something I almost never do) and it was released yesterday. £11, so I took the plunge.

The concept is a bit of a mash-up of Don't Starve and Rimworld with a tiny whiff of Dungeon Keeper, where you are tasked with building a sprawling mansion for your monster minions that you lure standard horror trope (geek, jock, virgin etc) victims to in order to kill them, chop them up, and eat them.

The game offers the opportunity to create traps involving spikes, conveyor-belts, buzz-saws in walls etc, although I have not yet managed to get sufficient research and resources to craft much beyond a rotating wall. For my victims, I lure them (which you do by 'advertising campaigns' - "You have won a tea service" kind of thing), they enter the Victim room - a nicely appointed room designed to lure them in, and I pounce. You have to keep your monsters out of sight, making the game like Rimworld where you have your monsters harvesting resource, prepping food (chopping up bodies), researching, manufacturing, writing letters to lure people in etc. You then have a brief time to hide your baddies away as the victims approach, slaughter them, and start over with the day jobs.

It is a bit clunky - it could use some polish but I do like the premise. There are a lot of monster types to recruit from - zombies, skeletons, Frankenstein monsters, medusae, vampires, werewolves, psychopaths etc. You are always staving off starvation too - as you get more monsters the demand for food increases, so you have to lure in larger groups of victims. These victims need to be killed carefully - always in the house, preferably alone (to maximise your reward for doing so), the virgin always last and never kill the dog being the core rules. If you spook them too soon, they may not come in the house, may run for it, may make a phone call or other things that contribute to the Suspicion meter. If this meter gets too high, people will start coming hunting you. Have all your monsters die, and it is game over.

So early days, I put in a few hours last night and after a couple of restarts as I learned my way around (not much in the way of information is available, but there are some good YouTube vids that I found helpful) but I am having fun.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri May 18, 2018 8:00 am

Sounds fun that yes. :)

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri May 18, 2018 8:53 am

It is fun. Seeing your monsters scurry around the house post-murder clearing away all the blood so as not to spook the next batch of victims unnecessarily, and my psycho (a caricature of Jack Torrance) carrying body parts to the butchers table before popping on a chef's hat to prepare them, never fails to make me laugh.

At the moment I think they need to balance out the numbers of resources required, as I need some huge amounts of stone blocks for a research upgrade. Stone you quarry, then it needs to go through your factory to be turned into stone blocks, which is a long process. It means I am doing a lot of repetition in order to try to get my game progressed.

Still fun though. Worth a tenner definitely if that kind of game floats your boat.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat May 19, 2018 10:11 am

MGS 5: The Phantom Pain

I don't like Japanese games and this is a prime example of why I can't be bothered with them. A 90 minute prologue where you spend most of it crawling on the ground looking right some guys bare arsehole, then stuff that makes utterly no sense happens and I'm in Afghanistan, on a horse. People say Kojima is a genius, I think he's full of pretentious shit.

Going to keep at it for a bit as the open world looks pretty good. If it's interrupted every 2 minutes with wank radio conversations and ridiculous cut scenes then it goes in the bin. <shakes fist at sky> :x

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat May 19, 2018 10:15 am

Nah, it's actually the least story-intensive MGS game; you don't get interrupted for codec conversations, and actual cutscenes don't happen very often. It's still batshit crazy at times, but you'll spend much more time playing it than watching.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group