Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Raid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:52 am

I would, but I'm already planning on buying Project CARS 2 tomorrow, and there's a looming DCS AV-8b NA Harrier module that will no doubt be pricey. Too many expensive sim games to buy!

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Rebel Galaxy

Okay, this is really addictive. It's a really neat space trader/combat-with a hint of roguelike (randomised galaxies/markets). I even like the horizontal travel. It sort of fits the fact you control freighters/frigates and not fighters.

Nice game to pick up as a bargain. You could be picky and say the controller-designed menus/UI are definitely a negative, but I'm 10 hours in and not bored yet.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:48 pm

I think I have a spare key for it if anyone wants toss me a PM
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Heat Signature

New game from Tom Francis, the chap who made Gunpoint.

It's about as zany, but rather than kicking people through office building windows I am now shooting them into space. Certain missions require you to save or kidnap NPCs aboard hostile ships; if your route out is a bit heavy going then you can simply throw your catch out of a window. It's hilarious. The ship is often moving at a fairly substantial speed so when you throw him off he just shoots off into the void. Then you have to leap out after him and remote control your ship to come and pick you both up before either of you suffocate.

Just hope this one is a bit longer than Gunpoint was.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:16 am

I had great hopes for Heat Signature, but after playing it for around 40 minutes I just couldn't get on with it. The readability of the ships is poor, the UI is very messy and I knew that the core loop was not enough to keep me entertained so I refunded it. It's a shame as I think Gunpoint is one of the best games to come out in the last few years. People seem to like Heat Signature though so at least Tom Francis gets to keep making games.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:58 am

All very valid criticisms. The art style in particular can be a bit hit and miss. The larger ships have slightly too much copy and pasting of random textures in them and it's often really difficult to make sense of where things are, and it can be an issue with identifying impassable objects inside the larger corridors too so you just sort of bash your way around the room. The controls in general can be a bit finnicky, particularly when trying to fly your ship and dock with others.

I think it adds a certain element of charm to it though in a similar way to what Gunpoint had. You just sort of bumble your way through with comic effect and hope for the best. The writing lends itself to that style very well.

Undecided yet whether it's actually better than Gunpoint though.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Titanfall 2

Bit late to the party on this one. The campaign is very enjoyable with some great gunplay that makes you feel like a total arse kicker. It moves along at a good clip until you have to wall run and then the flow of the game disappears as you have to repeat the same section over and over until you get it right. Fuck wall running.

MP is what it is, very fast paced and death is very frequent but without being too frustrating. Fun but a bit forgettable.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:11 pm

That wa sthe downside for me too. What are the chances that the sections you have to get through are exactly the right distance apart for your wall running... someone must have known when building it

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:54 pm

The fact that they had to include a 'ghost' that shows you how to do each jump says it all. Fuck wall running!!

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Okay, so I finished with Rebel Galaxy. Got 25 hours out of it and had a cracking time. If it had just a bit more structure to it I think they genuinely had the template for a great, indepth space trading/exploration game. They did a lot of groundwork with the dynamic markets and everything.

As it is, it's more of a pass-the-time bit of addictive fun. 7/10

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:20 pm

I've installed Xenonauts (got it for a few quid) but the font size is about a millimetre tall on my monitor. Fuck. That.

There is a larger font mod, which I'll investigate. It's apparently a bit glitchy but it's nigh unplayable for my eyes as it is, so there's nothing to lose I guess.

I'm also toying with doing a replay of Stalker: Call of Pripyat. It's one of my favourite PC games of all time, easily in my top 10, but bizarrely I've never returned to it after my initial long playthrough. Hmm.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:01 am

The Evil Within

Got chainsawed in the leg and limped until I was involved in an incredibly bad car crash that seemed to fix my leg as now I can run. We should put sick people in crash test dummy cars.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:55 am

They used to use dead people, but there's no reports that I can find of any of them coming back alive afterwards though. Shame. Maybe it only works on people with non-life threatening injuries?

To the laboratory!

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:02 pm

Far Cry Primal

Well it was a brave move to set a popular fps in the caveman era with only bows, clubs and spears as weapons. It looks gorgeous and taming wild animals is a great touch. But it's not exactly the best game ever, Ubisoft might have been a bit too brave with the setting and the game suffers for it, after you've speared your 100th Neanderthal it gets a bit samey. Good fun but just off the mark.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Have been playing a fair bit of Battle Chasers: Nightwar recently.

The name is a bit generic, like something a random generator might spit out (I gather it's based on a comic or cartoon, but I'm not familiar with it), but the game itself is pretty charming. It's lovely to look at too - very stylised cartoony, a bit like Torchlight I'd say.

Essentially it's a JRPG style thing, so if you don't generally enjoy those then steer away. There's a lot of combat, so if you don't enjoy the genre mechanics you'll tire of this pretty quickly. But if you like Final Fantasy and the like, you'd probably get a lot out of this.

So there's a few elements at play. For the most part you'll be trolling around an overworld going from dungeon to dungeon, to quest location to etc... along the way fighting groups of enemies. These are marked on the map, so you'll always see them coming.

Occasionally you'll stumble into what is called an 'exploration area', where it switches to a third-person isometric style doodad where you explore the area in a bit more detail, find loot, interact with things and fight more enemies.

Then, when you're go to a quest location, more often than not you'll enter a dungeon. These areas allow you to select higher difficulties for better rewards. Generally the mobs you'll meet on the overworld are trash and easily dispatched, but I had a bit of a tougher time in a dungeon on hard mode (there's a legendary mode that unlocks after you've completed a dungeon, but I've not felt much compunction yet to replay one to test out that difficulty). Dungeons play out similar to exploration mode, except it's a long series of rooms with lots of battles with tougher enemies, even more loot, crafting stations and background lore to uncover (I skim these honestly, but you get a little bonus at the end if you find them all). The dungeons so far take a bit longer than you might expect, probably about an hour, but you can save and exit, then when you come back you're at the start again but enemies don't seem to respawn, and there are teleports to quickly get you back near to where you left off.

On the combat front there aren't a lot of innovations beyond what you'd normally expect from a JRPG, but it works very well and there's a good variety of skills and abilities that gradually unlock as you level.

Overall, recommended.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group