Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Tichinde

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Tichinde » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Snowy wrote:On the whole linear FPS front, my gaming time tends to be an opportunity to switch my brain off. Story heavy games require too much investment, and also I then struggle to remember what the hell is going on when (as I inevitably do) I put it down for a while to do something else. Add to that the limitations of most story-based FPS titles - the mechanisms within then haven't evolved much and they feel a bit to me like 'played one, played them all'.

DOOM will fit that neatly.
Yes there's a story (Hell on Mars, solve it), but it's told through collectables which you needn't worry about (because HELL on MARS, SOLVE IT), most of them are in plain view so finding them is just a case of going where you need to and they add background to characters more than anything else. DOOM doesn't do anything new really, it just does it fucking quickly and incredibly well.

Did I mention, Hell is on Mars and it needs solving?

I did give Titanfall 2 a bash on the demo, and it might need picking up when it gets proper cheap in a sale.

In the meantime, World of Tanks is giving me small stabs of play time when it's not being incredibly frustrating, and Elite is proving quite interesting (even if the flight model is still gimped as fuck).
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Rusty wrote:Right, raw data on buy list...

Can't remember exactly but I'm sure it was under a tenner when I bought it. In the.... uhm.... January sales. Yes, I'm on the ball when it comes to playing my purchases.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:53 pm

I recently played through a game on Steam. :o

Thought I'd have a go at the first Tomb Raider reboot game, which I must have got for a fiver a couple of years back on a sale but never installed. I quite enjoyed it! Some of the quicktimey bollocks was a bit stupid, but apart from that fannying around I liked the rest of the game.

It had a decent story and some nice progression with how the island opens up and equipment becomes available. Had an Arkham Asylum vibe at times. My expectations were more than met, just needed to be a bit more Tomb Raidery.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 pm

katarn wrote:I recently played through a game on Steam. :o

Thought I'd have a go at the first Tomb Raider reboot game, which I must have got for a fiver a couple of years back on a sale but never installed. I quite enjoyed it! Some of the quicktimey bollocks was a bit stupid, but apart from that fannying around I liked the rest of the game.

It had a decent story and some nice progression with how the island opens up and equipment becomes available. Had an Arkham Asylum vibe at times. My expectations were more than met, just needed to be a bit more Tomb Raidery.

Try Rise, mate (which I mentioned above). While I enjoyed the reboot, the sequel is better in pretty much every respect. Picked it up around the time of the Steam sale (though I think it was from a different site), for £15 or so which is a good price for it.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks, Sly. I'll definitely think about getting that on a deal at some point.

Tbh, I'm very tentatively dipping my toe back into gaming after a year or so out. I just utterly lost all interest in it. I'm like Bill Murray in What About Bob, taking baby steps again.

Currently playing through Wasteland 2, which I picked up on that Steam summer sale.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:11 pm

In between bouts of Morrowind I've been playing Battle Brothers, which I can highly recommend. The idea is you form and equip a mercenary company in a medieval fantasy land and then go out exploring and adventuring, usually in the form of taking contracts in towns to do things like hunt down bandits or clear off some monsters that have been picking off villagers. Combat is turn-based and brutally challenging at times, with lots of tactical options. Throughout the game, a narrative of sorts is generated which gives the world some personality.

The men of your company are the real heart of the game, and losing a well-equipped, highly-levelled man in an ill-considered battle can be traumatic. If you've ever watched Band of Brothers and how the veterans later in the war don't get attached to replacement troops because they usually die quickly, there's a sense of that too. I've lost count of the times I've hired a butcher or a mason or a poacher, kitted them out with some cheap, battered armour and a spear and then watched them die in their first battle. That isn't a criticism of the game design, it's praise: I care about the men in my company and putting a newbie at risk can be a tough but necessary choice when facing down a horde of undead auxiliaries who are trying to flank me.

It's a simple game which is more than the sum of its parts, and it's not had anywhere near the coverage it deserves. Well worth a look.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Battle Brothers is awesome, tactical fantasy crack. Played it throughout EA and for dozens of hours after release, have sang its praises a couple of times here before.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:30 pm

West of Loathing.

Just buy it, you guys. It's ace.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/59722 ... _Loathing/
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 pm

I've really enjoyed Wasteland 2. It's definitely the sort of game that's right up my alley (squad/turn based/RPGish/etc), which I think always intensifies how much you enjoy a game. We all have our favourite sub-genres.

I actually love how the combat isn't overly complex. There's just enough tactics there to keep you making the right decisions, but not too much to frustrate you in certain unfair situations. Keeps it flowing very nicely.

It's really neat how turnbased and realtime aspects are handled. The atmosphere is great, the mission structure, levelling is great and there's a nice range of approaches to the game.

The story was a bit flat at times, but it was more about the journey tbh. Loved it.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:46 am

Space Ninjas! (Warframe)
Takes a little bit of research to figure out what the hell is going on because the game won't really explain any of the mechanics to you, but the new movement stuff makes it hilariously fun to play.
Grindy hell, but no worse than any MMO I've played.

Solid third person shooty bangs and stabby goodness with magic ninjas in space.
What's not to like? :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:26 am

Sly Boots wrote:West of Loathing.

Just buy it, you guys. It's ace.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/59722 ... _Loathing/

Still playing this (it really is ace), but thought I'd post up a glowing review from PCG if you need more convincing:

http://www.pcgamer.com/west-of-loathing-review/

This might actually be my GotY so far honestly...
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:39 am

Pick it up in a sale I will.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:08 am

Huzzah! It's intensely silly, but I'm really enjoying it.
My face is tired.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Bought it and enjoying it (having played loads of Kingdom of Loathing)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Huzzah ptII!
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group