Steam News & Updates Thread

Steamz and moar.
eVoL

Re: Steam News & Updates Thread

Postby eVoL » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Finally got round to trying the link. Over wifi, its flakey but the walls in this house are thick as a thick thing. Ethernet directly from PC to link (50m cable) on the other hand and its pretty much perfect. Couldn't feel any lag at all and image quality was excellent. Geometry wars and Downwell were no problem. Might test with with mouse/keyboard just to see if I can feel any lag with those. I'm impressed. Have not tried ethernet through router yet but I'd imagine its not much worse. Now my PC is desk based I can also have couch based funs. Huzzah!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:37 am

it is good. It has been getting a lot of criticism for latency but like you eVol I have mine hooked up via LAN and there is a tiny amount there but nothing that gets in the way of playing

the problem I have is that I keep on forgetting I have it and keep on playing on my main PC.
Games playing : Max Payne 3 / Attila Total War

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Is it just eVol who has a Steam Controller?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:02 pm

update

On Friday I updated my system with a GTX 970 card, played RTW2 with Ultra graphics and experienced zero latency with Steam Link. So it is good !

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 pm

Am I missing something or is there no way to turn on a steam link without a steam controller? :lol: You can yank the power lead out and plug it back in but that seems to be the only way! Using a 360 controller (wireless at least) doesnt work and theres no physical buttons on the thing. Just when I was thinking this was a really well made bit of kit something this stupid rears its head.

As an aside though, adding Kodi as a non steam game is an excellent way to access all the media on your PC :) Set Kodis resolution to match your TVs if you have a higher rez/non 16:9 monitor to avoid black bars from scaling too ;)

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:14 pm

eVoL wrote:Am I missing something or is there no way to turn on a steam link without a steam controller? :lol: You can yank the power lead out and plug it back in but that seems to be the only way!

yep !

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:11 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Is it just eVol who has a Steam Controller?

I've got one but I've not used it a huge amount. I'm struggling to find games where it's preferable over a 360 controller or just using mouse/keyboard on the sofa (which I do sometimes). One example which should have been a perfect fit is Oblivion, as the PC version doesn't have native controller support. At first it seemed great, until I came to use one of the rarer controls (grab, or something) and realised it wasn't mapped in the config I'd used. So I went to map it, only for something else to be unmapped. Long story short, I spent an hour pratting around with it trying to get all controls working at the same time to no avail.*

And that is the problem. The games where it should be the ideal controller are often plagued with setup issues. Even the community configs I used for Oblivion weren't right. When it actually works with something it's fine, although in most cases I'd still rather use a 360 controller. It has potential to be good... it's just not quite there yet.

*Also worth mentioning that during that hour, the controller would stop responding entirely sometimes after remapping a control, forcing me to restart Steam. I had a sense of humour failure after the third or fourth time.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:22 am

Is anyone else getting a lot of bogus downloads in steam for games that are 0 bytes in size? I used to get one or two from time to time but now I just got 28 of them in a row :shock:

Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:57 am

Nope, sorry.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:31 am

Me neither, did steam crash and its checking the local files of some games? HDD dying?

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Nah nothing unusual happened. Found out that quite a lot of people ended up with this issue and then loads of their steam library games were updating. Weird steam server bug.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:27 am

Question.

Why is steam greenlight still a thing when it would seem there is absolutely no filtering behind any of the utter pish that turns up on proper steam? Have all these fucking awful games went through Greenlight? If not, why not? The entire Steam eco system has went post apocalyptic in the last year or so.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:15 am

Valve have said a few times that they have no plans to start curating it. I'm not sure how many upvotes a title needs to make it onto the store but it can't be many given how much dross ends up appearing.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:05 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36138998

LoveSteam? Steamflix? Crowbar Prime? You pick the name :) So whenever this rolls out in Beta you know the reason for the weekend service creaking at the seams :)

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 04, 2016 10:20 am

Steam is changing their review system so that reviews written in the last 30 days are more likely to show up. They have also added an additional review score that just pulls reviews from the recent period so you have a Recent score and an Overall score. This has been done to try and help games that had troubled launches, but have since been fixed.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group